Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:05pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo questions

I know I've already asked questions about other arts but I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. I'm not trying to be annoying; I just want to gather as much information.

I've already done a lot of research about Judo but there are still questions lingering in my mind. Please... no wisecracks or witty comments. I really don't want this thread ruined. My desire to learn is sincere.

1. Professor Kano developed Judo to make "people better contributors to society through physical and mental training".

Is it still a martial art though? Is it an effective means of combat and self defense?

2. How good is the groundwork in Judo? I need to work on some ground grappling.

3. I heard a lot of things in Judo need to be trained without gi. Is this true? If so, why? My potential mugger is definitely going to be wearing something...

Thanks.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you on drugs?

Edit: Ok, I'm a 4 session judo white belt and I'll bite.

1. No, Kano developed judo because jujutsu was trained in an unrealistic manner at the time (see: aliveness, resistant sparring, why TKD is ****). Yes it's a martial art, although it has become much more sport orientated over the years.

2. Ok. Not as good as BJJ or wrestling, but you get by. Out of my vast experience of 4 whole lessons I'd say the groundwork/standup training ratio is about 50/50.

3. Nope, all training is done in your jammies. You're getting your wires crossed a little I think.

Thank you, have a nice day.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 2/08/2006 8:25pm at .

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plssuicideselfkthnxbye

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lu Tze... why the anger towards TKD? We train with resistance... Please don't make this thread about TKD.

I wasn't out to offend anyone. Please stop it with the unnecessary comments. I asked because I was sincerely curious, because I DID NOT KNOW. I was not out to ridicule Judo in any way shape or form.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go read a book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:35pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to point # 1 absolutely... sounds like aikido...
    #2 this kind of depends on the school and instructor... it varies, but generally there is some work on ne waza (ground work), and there is a whole series of techniques for self defense use that are taught besides the competitive techniques
    #3 it never hurts to train some techniques that do not rely on the gi, but usually an attacker has some clothing that you can use to your advantage, and remember you can use your clothing as well... i really like those punks that wear the baggy pants... do they really think they can fight like that???
    judo, like many other arts, is as good as you make it...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some Judo clubs do not have extensive ground skills but there are a few that excel at newaza. The thing about Judo is you will not be good on the ground unless you have the personal drive and discipline to try to get good.

Judo is jujutsu that is motified so it can be practiced at full speed. That doesn't mean that it is cuddly and safe, it is a good way to get good at "the grapple". BJJ and Wrestling is also good grappling but they have a different mentality because of differing rule sets and uniforms/roots etc.

You will learn about it if you go take a class.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    judo, like many other arts, is as good as you make it...
    You are a genius my friend...

:bowdown:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and thanks to everyone that responded helpfully.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    Lu Tze... why the anger towards TKD? We train with resistance... Please don't make this thread about TKD.

I wasn't out to offend anyone. Please stop it with the unnecessary comments. I asked because I was sincerely curious, because I DID NOT KNOW. I was not out to ridicule Judo in any way shape or form.
    What makes you think I'm angry? In fact I'm chuckling rather heartily right now (well, as heartily as my wirey frame will allow).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast