and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    Kid and AnnT can. But I don't think they qualify as girls...

j/k Please don't hurt me.....
    You can be a woman and kick ass. It's not mutually contradicting like "you can do TKD and kick ass".
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:58pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also will enjoy the Wushu performances at the 2012 Olympics, but agree I don't want to see it added as "a martial sport"

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sure hope not. It's fun to watch and I don't think it would really matter anyway because it didn't get too much coverage the last time I remember the olympics being on. Granted I didn't really sit around and watch it.

Maybe if they got rid of the USTU and ATA and the WTF axis of evil, I'd be happier and this would all be better.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 5:32pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can only hope so.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps if they just changed the rules to make it olympic San Shou then it would be ok ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 5:48pm

Style: ITF Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    I have noticed a lot of TKD threads lately that usually have several people saying how great TKD is and then another group bashing them and basically calling them idiots (in very creative ways I might add).

So here is a couple of things that I thought I would bring up for discussion.

1. It seems IMO that the interest in Olympic TKD is beginning to wane, and it is possible that in the near future it will no longer be an Olympic event. If it is removed from the Olympics do you think TKD instructors will begin to rediscover their roots and TKD will once again become more of a hardcore style (perhaps like Kyokushin)? Or will the same WTF Olympic crap continue to be shoveled to the masses?

At the ITF we've been told that the North Korean ITF is in talks with the WTF regarding unification, and that WTF is revising their style, and will re-introduce punches (or has already). Not sure what this will result in, but it may mean joint WTF & ITF competitions, which may influence both styles (for better or for worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74

2. If TKD had not become an Olympic event what do you believe state of TKD would be today?

I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions

Most likely, TKD would less well known - I mean, the number of WTF by far exceeds the number of (more traditional) ITF practitioners. WTF's marketing engine is turbo-charged next to ITF's. And, if TKD is considered the first step for many a martial artist, then perhaps without that first step, there wouldn't be so many martial artists out there?

On another note, what happened to TKD should be noted by other martial arts organisations gaining popularity. In it's day, TKD must have been considered a serious martial art and evolved into a more sport-orientated style and split into various factions; this may happen to any style if that sort of mindset arises in other MA organisations too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 5:59pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of trying to differentiate between ITF, WTF, etc, I think that TKD-ers should be working together to improve TKD as a whole, instead of criticizing each other.

A lot of people have deep animosity towards Taekwondo. They say it is not well rounded. They're right. It's not. But it's still a useful tool and is the best kicking system. I know I keep saying that over and over but I just wish people would drop the notion that TKD is completely useless just because it isn't as well rounded as some other arts.

And a lot of people also seem to misunderstand what WTF TKD is about. It is a sport, but it is a martial sport nonetheless. It is NOT sport karate point sparring; WTF is full contact - despite the gear - and continuous.

There are definitely too many McDojangs. That should not, however, take away credibility from the WTF dojangs that do know what they're doing.

I do not wish to see the end of Olympic TKD. I only want it to see it change, even more reformed than it has over the course of the past year. I strongly believe more changes will come along soon. As the popularity of MMA/NHB rises in South Korea, the amount of protests and calls for the WTF to change has sharply grown as well.

A lot of people said that it was just a publicity stunt when Fedor claimed he was studying Taekwondo. I wish people would stop being so cynical. The Sambo legend said Taekwondo kicks are very useful in MMA/NHB; he happens to be refining his kicks with a WTF TKD master too. Instead of being cynical, people should look at this and realize that WTF TKD is a useful tool and a good standup method, regardless of the "holes" that need patching.

I really wish people would reconsider their WTF TKD bashing. I know a lot of people here have been lied to and ripped off by McDojangs, but McDojangs aren't representative of WTF schools that know what they're doing. WTF schools that do know what they're doing produce the best kickers in the world.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Lol Taekwon. How many threads now have you kept repeating the "if you don't know shut up" line.

First of all, MANY MANY MANY MANY members on this board have done WTF TKD, some even before you were born. Others have at least sparred WTF TKD practitioners. People who don't fall into either category are generally new people to martial arts. So don't bother with that line anymore, it doesn't apply to a huge majority of this forum. Don't automatically believe that just because we have massive criticisms of WTF TKD that we haven't done it.
    I'm a 5th Dan in WTF TKD. :toothy4:

So lil Taekookie should STFU and read more. :eng101:

Ddlr and I got our start at the same time. Man, that means you're getting old!!! I however am getting VINTAGED. :XXsmoker:
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 6:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    as long as TKD is part of the olympics and women's boxing is not, the olympics can go straight to hell.
    No women's boxing? Is that legal? You'd think someone would've sued the Olympic commission for sexism or something.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 6:26pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Cullion I would much rather see Olympic kickboxing or Sanhsou than I would TKD.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast