Sponsored Links Spacer Image

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ****!I can't believe my internet froze the moment I pressed the Reply button.

Basically the point I was trying to make was that the root of the problem isn't the TKD in the Olympics imo.Much of it is the instruction in many North-American schools.It seems most TKD school's are members of Sport-karate organizations.

The other point Iw as tyring to make was that it's easier for instructors to fill up schools with students if you teach non-contact fighting systems like point-sparring or even teach self-defense though forms techniques.It's much easier to fill the heads of people with the belief of fighting prowess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 3:50pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WTF Taekwondo has flaws and shortcoming but it is highly underrated in my opinion. I hope it will make some changes but that doesn't make it bad.

People here who don't know jackshit should shut the hell up.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol Taekwon. How many threads now have you kept repeating the "if you don't know shut up" line.

First of all, MANY MANY MANY MANY members on this board have done WTF TKD, some even before you were born. Others have at least sparred WTF TKD practitioners. People who don't fall into either category are generally new people to martial arts. So don't bother with that line anymore, it doesn't apply to a huge majority of this forum. Don't automatically believe that just because we have massive criticisms of WTF TKD that we haven't done it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 3:54pm

Style: Multiple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    as long as TKD is part of the olympics and women's boxing is not, the olympics can go straight to hell.
    Women can box?

jk :

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:03pm

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    WTF Taekwondo has flaws and shortcoming but it is highly underrated in my opinion. I hope it will make some changes but that doesn't make it bad.

People here who don't know jackshit should shut the hell up.
    Can somebody ban this knob gobbler? :BangHead:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    That was their rationale for the TaeGeuks. They still look like karate forms, except lazier and lacking any real effort.

Maybe Kyokushin. If there were more Mas Oyamas who got tired of what they were doing. TaeKyon, I doubt it. Because TKD has little to do with it in the first place, the karate links are stronger - I'd say it would have drifted more to that direction than any of the true Korean MA.
    Yeah, I was thinking that the rationale behind the taegeuk forms would have eventually filtered down "through the ranks", so by now all the forms would have been revised away from the Japanese/Okinawan originals.

As to the Tae Kyon suggestion, I was imagining the Korean powers-that-be "discovering" Tae Kyon, and then revising modern TKD along those lines ... wishful thinking, I know... although I do remember watching a Super-8 promotional movie issued by the Kukkiwon which included some footage of an old Tae Kyon master kicking the legs out from under some young TKD black belts. That was cool.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:21pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eternal rage is right a lot of people have TKD in their background somewhere.

I studied it from 92'-95' then got away from it to focus on other systems that I was already cross training in like kickboxing and JKD. I went back to it in 97 because I found a gym that encouraged cross training and had students that were interested in grappling and Escrima. In 99' I moved to Korea and stayed there for the next 4 years. Three years of that I spent at a TKD gym and crosstrained at other schools. In the final year there I left TKD and went to a Muay Thai school and crosstrained at a BJJ school.

So I have quite a few years in TKD, much like many of the other people here. Just most have realized when to move on.

I would like this thread to be a serious discussion, not one that devolves into a flame war, so everyone please offer articulated opinion and try to keep the STFU to a minimum (you know who you are) Thanks!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:33pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Rooster
    Women can box?

jk :

Kid and AnnT can. But I don't think they qualify as girls...

j/k Please don't hurt me.....

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Eternal rage is right a lot of people have TKD in their background somewhere.

I studied it from 92'-95' then got away from it to focus on other systems that I was already cross training in like kickboxing and JKD. I went back to it in 97 because I found a gym that encouraged cross training and had students that were interested in grappling and Escrima. In 99' I moved to Korea and stayed there for the next 4 years. Three years of that I spent at a TKD gym and crosstrained at other schools. In the final year there I left TKD and went to a Muay Thai school and crosstrained at a BJJ school.

So I have quite a few years in TKD, much like many of the other people here. Just most have realized when to move on.

I would like this thread to be a serious discussion, not one that devolves into a flame war, so everyone please offer articulated opinion and try to keep the STFU to a minimum (you know who you are) Thanks!

I ashamed to say I am a WTF TKD Yellow Belt. I am so sorry, I was young and didn't know any better. :sad10:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:43pm

Style: judo, tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    I have noticed a lot of TKD threads lately that usually have several people saying how great TKD is and then another group bashing them and basically calling them idiots (in very creative ways I might add).

So here is a couple of things that I thought I would bring up for discussion.

1. It seems IMO that the interest in Olympic TKD is beginning to wane, and it is possible that in the near future it will no longer be an Olympic event. If it is removed from the Olympics do you think TKD instructors will begin to rediscover their roots and TKD will once again become more of a hardcore style (perhaps like Kyokushin)? Or will the same WTF Olympic crap continue to be shoveled to the masses?

2. If TKD had not become an Olympic event what do you believe state of TKD would be today?

I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions

TKD came close to being removed for the 2012 games. Check out following for some more details:

http://www.taekwondotimes.com/news.html

I also understand that Wushu will be a demonstration sport for the 2008 Beijing games. Cool as the performances may be, I wouldn't want to see it added as a "martial" sport. To me it's the same as Rhythmic gymnastics.

WRT what form TKD would take if it hadn't been added to the Olympics, I have to agree with previous posts about it being close to other karate styles. One thing I am sure of, however, is if it is dropped as an olympic sport, the mcdojangs won't go away. They're too lucrative and cater to the masses who would normally not be able to hack real martial arts.
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast