Our Sponsors:

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:51pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was trolling in my earlier posts. But I do think TKD can work. It can also "not work" sometimes.

I've thrown kicks and had them do damage or knock people down. Or sometimes just knock people back a little. I've also thrown kicks and they did zero damage or made me get taken down and beaten.

So do the TKD kicks work? I think they do. But I also know TKD isn't the best martial art and definatly not complete.

I've fought 2 muay thai guys and lost. They both were going easy, but still beat me. Not that i'm the sole representor of TKD.

I think the main problem is schools that train like a "traditional MA" with lots of kata's, crappy sparring, etc. People that train like a "gym" with lots of hard sparring, and with experienced ring fighters to train them will do better.

TKD tends to do the crappy training and has some bad habits built. Muay thai/boxing tend to do the good training. The TKD techniques can work even though the TKD scene is weak and good fighters are rare.
    Last edited by kikkoman; 2/08/2006 11:56pm at .

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I think TKD is the coolest style.

:new_olymp

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you going to do for your 700th posts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:56pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Good fighters are rare".

I think what you really meant to say was:

Your average MT guy cares about what he does more than your avg TKD guy. Your avg TKD guy goes to class once or twice a week and doesn't practice on his own time, 'cause he doesn't really give a ****.

Your average MT guy is a lot fitter and stronger than your avg TKD guy.

There are more TKD McDojangs (a lot more) than there are in MT.

There also millions upon millions of TKD people. They can't all be good fighters, can they? A lot of them can fend off a mugging attempt, though.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taekwon, it's really very simple, if you are not trolling, which I think you are. All you have to do is go to an American Kickboxing gym, and ask to spar someone your own age/weight, it's that simple.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    lol eh??? sorry bro. didn't quite understand your quote
    **** me, am I that old? Read this most excelent fable: http://www.fictionbook.ru/en/author/...ck/fight_club/ (for free, if not entirely legally).

Or rent the movie, see if I care.

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 12:00am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I'll admit I'm ignorant of the term you used.Can you translate Sokken Ken for me?

Here is the link to me explaning or at least tryin to explain the kick on page 5.Imagine if you will that it has to be exagerated while you train.

The whole point I was trying to make that the angle and technique used in the gedan-mawashi I have yet to see it in MT or Kickboxing.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...2&page=5&pp=15

Literally it means First Leg Fist. Basically, it incorporates any kick what use your shin to strike. It chambers then using the shin to drive though the target. Outside thigh and inner thigh are standard targets.

I was simply saying that type of kick is common in most Japanese arts. The angle of the attack might be a staple of Kyokushin but the kick itself isn't unique.

Personally, that kick and front stomping kick are 95% of my kicks when I spar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 12:02am

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Taekwon, it's really very simple, if you are not trolling, which I think you are. All you have to do is go to an American Kickboxing gym, and ask to spar someone your own age/weight, it's that simple.

That was one of the most misguided statements ever. To suggest kickboxing automatically can take TKD...

I wasn't aware you are a spokeman for the millions upon millions of KB and TKD practitioners... You know how each of them train and how much each of them dedicate themselves?

If you're going to be rash, be rash. Just don't be ridiculous and stupid.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was one of the most misguided statements ever. To suggest kickboxing automatically can take TKD...

I wasn't aware you are a spokeman for the millions upon millions of KB and TKD practitioners... You know how each of them train and how much each of them dedicate themselves?

If you're going to be rash, be rash. Just don't be ridiculous and stupid.
    You definitely a troll, no one can be that stupid. I never suggested one style is better than another, I just suggested that you spar at a American Kickboxing gym, with someone who is not your friend, someone who is your own age and weight. So either you are a troll, or you are too afraid to walk the walk.

Edit: I have no interest in debating whether or not TKD is effective, it has been done ad nauseum by people smarter and more experienced than you or I. I am just suggesting that you get more experience on the subject.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 2/09/2006 12:15am at .

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 12:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Good fighters are rare".

I think what you really meant to say was:

Your average MT guy cares about what he does more than your avg TKD guy. Your avg TKD guy goes to class once or twice a week and doesn't practice on his own time, 'cause he doesn't really give a ****.

Your average MT guy is a lot fitter and stronger than your avg TKD guy.

There are more TKD McDojangs (a lot more) than there are in MT.

There also millions upon millions of TKD people. They can't all be good fighters, can they? A lot of them can fend off a mugging attempt, though.

Also there's the ring fighting part. There is a money motivation. You gotta train yourself to be fit, and a very good fighter becuase everyone else is training like that too.

Then you have the TKD schools that don't really have a motivation to produce fighters. They are more of a family environment and have lots of teenage girls. Like this school.

And I guess that's ok. Two different kinds of schools for 2 different kinds of people.
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast