Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, knowing how teenagers work, you could probably persuade all the MA tough guys to get together in some kind of big Bloodsport-esque tournament on a lawn somewhere. You could then proceed to humiliate them.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought his topic was about how to deal with judo guys...you know throwers?

Rimshot please!
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let people run their mouths. They do it in all aspects of life. Just smile and move on.

Guys who really do martial arts have a tendency NOT to talk about it at every opportunity with random folks. I look at peoples hands, ears, and nose as physically identifying features of those that have 'been there.'

I don't mind talking martial arts with these folks. But I will universally avoid any kind of martial arts discussion with people I recognize as not knowing what they are talking about. Although it seems tempting to try and educate them you should recognize it is futile. They will simply use your words in their next coversation trying to gain even more credibility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 6:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was a kid I want to school with who kept himself to himself, never caused any trouble and just went about his life without bothering anyone. Anyway, one day the 'hardest kid in the year' had a beef with him and started pushing him around. The quiet kid unleashed a volley of kicks punches and knees and beat the absolute **** out of this so called badass to such a point that he was literally pulled off by a couple of teachers. Turns out he'd been training since he could walk.

Let these guys go on bragging and acting hard as nails. Their bullshit will catch them up one day.
    BEST POST EVER!!

But wait, does that mean there is justice in the world again ?!?!

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 8:15am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Seven
    BEST POST EVER!!

But wait, does that mean there is justice in the world again ?!?!
    Cheers dude :toothy10:

It happens from time to time and it's always a joy to behold.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2006 2:24pm

Style: None as of yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just challenge these posers to a GONG SAU!!!!!!!

But seriously as stated by other posters just drop the hostility and do what I would: Approach them in a friendly manner and tell them that you are into MAs too and start asking them deep probing questions about their MA experiences. And try to do it publicly with as many people present as posible.

And if you can try challenging them to a friendly yet full-contact sparring match to test their skills at the school gym, a local dojo or any area with the proper facilities. If they really are posers and if you're truly skilled then they will definitely lose and their egos will be crushed(Again try to make sure you have as many people present with you as possible). Since they practice boxing and/or muay thai like you mentioned (both which are generally bullshit-free MAs) then it's highly unlikely they will give you that "too d43dly" excuse.

Or you can just ignore them as it was also mentioned, which is much easier.

Oh yeah and I apologize for the late reply.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2006 1:41am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for all your imput everyone.. and perhaps to an extent, your abuse. either way my question was answered.

and for the record, yes, i dont deny it, im still just a kid.
    i get cocky sometimes. perhaps i ask stupid questions.
    maybe it IS 'cool' to feel invincible at my age.

but either way, you were all kids once too, and i guess had similar experiences to me, growing up. So i dont really mind copping flack off some people here.

you were all as young, fickle, and perhaps nieve as a 16 year old at one stage or another.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 3:40am

Style: BJJ, TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took TKD while I was in high school.. Only one or 2 of my friends knew and I didn't brag or make it a point to tell everyone because I wasn't taking it to impress people.. When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade with the Ninja suit and all the death stars and such, however, was a different story.. :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 8:49am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree...ignore people who follow trends just to stay cool...go about your business...as long as they don't negatively affect you in any way, then so be it...leave them be...

......And don't think high schoolers are the only ones guilty of this...in the past 3 months, I swear my BJJ school's attendance has ballooned by quadruple...it's ridiculous. You get all these fat, out of shape, middle-aged men who have watched a couple UFC's or TUF, so it's suddenly the cool thing to do...join a BJJ/MMA school so they can "be extreme" and get out of the ruts of their life.

I give them credit for trying...but how it's worked with most of the people, is they realize it's not all fun and games, they're not as tough as they are, and it takes consistent hard work to become even mildly proficient at BJJ...so they all quit. It just kinda sucks at first because most of the overzealous noobs are spazzes when you spar with them, so that gets old...

Either way...when you can, ignore people like that, but if it's unavoidable, there's nothing wrong with properly educating them...in the example I used of spazzy noobs at BJJ, it doesn't hurt to just let them know, "Hey, when we spar, it's really a chance for us to practice techniques and learn strategy, NOT to kill each other, we can save that for competition class or if you want to roll AFTER class"...

I think the biggest problem is we are quick to cast people aside, because it's a lot easier to do; rather than taking time to get to know them, learn their motivations, and educate them in the status quo...afterall, we were all noobs at one point, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 12:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Let people run their mouths. They do it in all aspects of life. Just smile and move on.

Guys who really do martial arts have a tendency NOT to talk about it at every opportunity with random folks. I look at peoples hands, ears, and nose as physically identifying features of those that have 'been there.'

I don't mind talking martial arts with these folks. But I will universally avoid any kind of martial arts discussion with people I recognize as not knowing what they are talking about. Although it seems tempting to try and educate them you should recognize it is futile. They will simply use your words in their next coversation trying to gain even more credibility.
    Good points. In the martial arts very often it seems to be the case of an inverse relationship between big talk and actual ability -- the greater the claim, the lesser the genuine ability.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast