Sponsored Links Spacer Image

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 6:43am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He cares becaus they are getting attention! It's not FAIR that someone is getting attention! That's not FAIR! It isn't FAIR, dude!
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:03am

Style: HSR, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much training have you honestly had, Jez, if you're 16? A couple years? That doesn't exactly qualify you to be t3h d34dl1, either. My advice is to shut up and train. I mean that in the nicest way possible.

However, you're at the age where feeling invincible is the cool thing to do. As such, if it really bothers you that some folks brag about their martial experience, you can subtly trash-talk when they do:

Moron: "Oh, fear me! I'm taking Muay Thai and am a badass fighter!"
    Girls: *swoon*
    You: "So, how long have you been studying it? And how often do you train?"
    Moron: "Six months, two hours a week."
    You: "Dude, that's not very long. You can't be that good at it after such a short time."

At this point the local moron with either (a) shut up, (b) challenge you, or ask how long you've been training as a prelude to (a) or (b).

Never outright challenge anyone. Let them come to you (psychological advantage). Ask questions, don't make statements. Use discretion.

If a more peaceful approach is required, why not get yourself some of the attention through the same methods? "Hey guys, I do Muay Thai. Unlike most people here, though, I'm not just some six-month faddish wimp. I've been doing it for *years.* I'm a lean mean fighting machine."

Of course, since your peers are just as young and stupid, you can expect occasional challenges by those too dumb to know better. If you don't want to be challenged, though, don't poke your nose into other other peoples' MA. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down and all that.

All above statements are predicated on the premise that you've been doing Muay Thai, boxing, and Pankration for an appreciable length of time (i.e., on the premise that you're not a hypocrite) and won't get your arse handed to you in a fight.

But honestly, who cares? If you're in the art to get respect by high schoolers, you're studying for the wrong reasons. It's their own loss if they don't partake of the richness of martial tradition.

EDIT: Oh, and if you plan on doing challenges, invest in some BJJ or other submission grappling training so you can take people out without unduly busting them up. Injuring somebody over something as trivial as being arrogant about their experience is just poor sportsmanship.
    Last edited by Invictus; 2/08/2006 8:05am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:14am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most girls i knew in highschool found martial arts to be hilarious, so ask them to show you some moves during lunch time then just wait for the girls to giggle at them for looking like a tool. basically let them pwn themselves.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 9:09am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Suck it up bitch.

Develop some thicker skin and laugh at the wannabes. That I am doing right now, when I read your post.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 9:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynor
    You deal with them the same way you deal with Americans.
    I love you Raynor.

:love5:
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:00am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raynor
    You deal with them the same way you deal with Americans.
    Distract them with a cheeseburger that looks like jesus?
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:16am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ignore them. They won't be training a year from now most likely. If they are training, they'll have been humbled by then.

Oh, and start competing when you get a chance. Nothing shuts up a wannabe who's trying to look like a badass like having an actual professional or competitive record.

And finally, make sure that when you spar them, you knock the hell out of them, and/or tap them out repeatedly. Don't ego trip. Just quietly whip their asses. They'll shut up.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Worst thread ever.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the argument that ignoring these chumps is the best course of action. But, if you do get the chance to spar with them, make them pay.
    There is an old saying: "An empty teacup make the most noise."
    Who gives ashit what people say, it is what you can DO that matters.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 2:13pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way to deal with them?

Be better than they are. Do your research, and when they say the stupid things like "Well, I can't spar because my techniques are too deadly" and "If you harnass your internal energy, you can like knock a guy out without touching him" respond with withering logic and intelligence.

Respectively: "Really? How do you know that? Have you killed someone with them? You realise unless you can deliver a strike at full speed against a reisisting opponent who dosen't know what's going to happen, you can't ever be sure that it works? Well, do you think boxing works? Have you every heard of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Both of those arts are proven and very effective and they train full speed as a regular part of training. How about Philipino weapons arts? Some schools train with live weapons -- can't get deadlier than that -- and you aren't hearing about deaths every day in Escrima class. Maybe you need to think about your training methods, they seem a little weak."

and

"How? By what mechanic? Do you have proof of this? Has it been tested? DOes it work at full speed, against a reisisting opponent who isn't your buddy and knows what's supposed to happen? Here, do it to me, right now. Or we can set up a time after you've prepared. That way you'll know it works."

Or, better yet, just be better than them, know it and laugh at them quietly, rooting for them to pick a fight with someone bettre than they are.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast