2/08/2006 3:29pm

Style: Firearms-Inactive-HFY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog68
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezah:
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezah:
    Well the way you critique HFY, I would like to think you have some idea of what you're talking about??? Less than a year is too funny........

As someone else on this thread so eloquently put it:

With some previous experience in MA, 1 year is long enough to see through the bullshit in most styles. In Meng's case it is enough to read through the wbsite
    So, you look for support from others that have even less experience than you with HFY, you're too funny?????
    Simple logic eludes you doesn't it?

But of course, who needs logic when your whole MO here is to attack me as a way of somehow defending Hung Fa Yi?

Attack you, the personal attacks seem to be coming from you my son, not me.
    You have less than 1yrs experience in HFY, I can understand you commenting on your limited experience, but you cannot past judgement over a system you have no idea about.
    Or is your major beef with HFY all about the money????

(Gee Geezah, why not actually deal with any of the questions I and others keep asking you guys?)

LMAO.
    Questions, you repsonded to the thread starters questions as though you are an authority on HFY, you are not, deal with it!

I take it you haven't seen Gummo?????

I still think we must be related, are you sure we're not????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 3:32pm

Style: HFY WC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What school to join?

Hello,

In my opinion, if you want to be as fair to yourself as possible, gather as much information in as many different sources as you can in what interestes you. Then, take all the information you gather (both positive and negative) and then go down to all the schools that interest you and see for yourself. Then you can form you own opinion and make a decision on what's best for you.

For some, you might realize that after a time, what you picked might not be what you were really looking for. Or, you might get more out of it than you initially thought and be happy with your decision. Either way, you don't know untill you get out there and get a look and feel of it.

Yes, I am a HFY student, and found the second to be the case. There are others here that have done the same. Sure, we could tell you all the positive things we have found.
    And again, there's others that found the first to be the case. Opinions will vary as well as experiences. What really matters is your own. I'd say look into as many places that interest you with an open mind, maybe try them each out for an introductory offer and then make a decision based on your experiences.
    What's a good fit for one person might not be a good fit for another.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezah
    You have less than 1yrs experience in HFY, I can understand you commenting on your limited experience, but you cannot past judgement over a system you have no idea about.

Again, out of curiosity, how much experience do you feel you need to pass such judgment?

And, does the time differ depending whether the critique is good or bad?

Is the extra six months of experience the police officer from the the other thread had enough time to pass judgment?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:41pm

Style: Looking for one

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knave
    Greetings.

I didn't want to get into it on the gamefaqs boards when you asked, since the board is 90% chi kiddies who mod me for telling them that they're full of ****.

Notice Green Bird on there told you to go to the wing chun place. Already in this thread a good number of warning signs have been brought up about the place. The same guy also starts talking about ao denkou kai, which I presume is what he is involved with considering the manner in which he brings it up. Put that into google. Looks like everything that comes up is hippie pressure point bullshit, which is most likely, well, bullshit. Notice also how he ignored my question on his experience after talking **** about bjj and mt not being effective on teh d34dly str33ts.

Anyway, Bullshido users will give you much better advice on the subject. There are more legit martial artists on these boards at any given time than have ever even been to the gamefaqs boards once.
    Hey Knave.

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical about the GameFAQs users myself. To me it seems like the most resistant and physical style would be best, just like Boxing, BJJ, and such.

I think I'll go sit in an Aegis class or two. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to have to look around a bit more, maybe try that place in middletown, Team Gurgel.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 4:53pm

Style: none currently, ex-TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All seriousness aside, the folks at Aegis Pro should prove the effectiveness of their arts by beating their webdesigner to death! The blinking bullet points... the cheezy "hooded-guy-walkin-with-scepter" animated GIF... That's a straight-up "Geocities circa 1997" hack-job. Tell me you didn't pay money for this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 6:45pm

Style: Looking for one

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, yeah. Maybe I should offer to do some design work with my design degree in progress. =P

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    15-punch combos composed entirely of jabs with no body weight behind them are an awesome way of ending a fight. Against an opponent made of paper.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hung Fa Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UrbanOutlaw86,

I hope you've been successful in your search. If I may say, check out the schools you want to try out for yourself. Reccomendations are one thing, but you've got to experience them first hand to make a real decision. Try a class or two, or an introductory membership to see if the school fits you and you fit the school and go from there. Many schools offer memberships of the nature that last for 5-6 weeks, which is enough time to see if you like the place or not, if you like the teachings or not, etc., yet not a huge committment. Test the waters and see what you like. I wish you luck.

Now, I must digress. I do apologize.

Ghostdog68, Dude, what exactly is your problem? I basically see you as uninformed about Meng's and HFY, and very willing to show off your ignorance to anyone who'll listen. For one who is too cowardly to offer his real name (after repeated requests by more than one individual), you've got some serious cajones making such negative comments based on your experience within the organization.

1, I see you as being un truthful in your tale there about Meng's. Average tuition depends greatly on the type of program you enroll in. Instead of bitching about it, why don't you tell the whole tale of it. It seems (so I speculate) as if you were enrolled in the Black Belt Program in Cinci or wherever you studied, and that you were paying an amount that would have completed the financial portion of your membership within a year to 18 months, at which point you'd then not have to pay anything except for renewal fees annually. If this is not the case, then what were the terms of your membership? If you're gonna criticize, do it completely with all info you're using that contributed to your experience, this way others can make truly informed decisions based on more than you just anonymously badmouthing something. So far as I can tell, you're just a whiny, PAB who has issues with money.

2. When a student enters into Discipleship, they usually approach the Sifu at some point in their initial training, voicing an interest of some kind or another to make a committment to the system for what ever reason, to learn it as a serious undertaking, to pass it on, to teach, or for their own personal reasons.

3. Now, I have a serious question for you. Did you get into an encounter with someone and lose, so now you badmouth the system b/c of that?

Get over yourself and do something meaningful with your life. Your web-fu is getting really good though. Oh, and when you posted here negatively about HFY, what did you expect, us to sit back and do nothing? Expect to be called on the fact that you're making decisions and claim based on your experience and that not one of us will validate your criticisms because of your ignorance and short time spent in the system. You'd be stupid not to expect it.

Steve

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 8:26am

Style: Ex-HFYWC, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Fa_Moose
    Ghostdog68, Dude, what exactly is your problem? I basically see you as uninformed about Meng's and HFY, and very willing to show off your ignorance to anyone who'll listen.
    My ignorance?

Yeah...right.

Let's see, I gave a truthful (and verifiable) account of how much I payed while I was a member of Hung Fa Yi, as well as mentioning how much your group charges for other programs like the "Black Sash Club" and for becoming a "disciple." I could also have mentioned the $2,000 "instructors fee" to be certified to teach HFY by Garrett Gee (unless you're a "disciple") as well as the other ways to nickel and dime, such as shelling out $150 when the "grandmaster" comes to visit or $50 when Benny gives a workshop or the $65 Hung Fa Yi yearly membership fee, etc.

That **** adds up. And, as a result, learning Hung Fa Yi costs a lot of money.

Do you dispute these figures, BTW? If so, then I'm not "ignorant" in this regard, correct?

So, my first point to the guy who asked about it was that it is expensive, and I showed why I thought so. And, by comparison, if he really wants to learn how to fight and defend himself, I suggested that he'd be better off going to a MMA gym like the place I mentioned that is both a) LESS EXPENSIVE, and b) actually has people who have verifiable fighting credentials. (i.e. go to sherdog.com and look up Jorge Gurgel and "Meat Truck Inc." Now I now you Hung Fa Yi guys think that things like UFC, Pride and MMA in general are total bullshit, but that's for my next thread topic :new_smile!)

Then I mentioned my other two points: Hung Fa Yi's questionable claims and its cultishness.

I see you have a problem with that.

Sorry, but the purpose of this site to expose bullshit in the martial arts and Hung Fa Yi has a few whoppers.

First, the questionable claims.

Gee, where to I begin?

Am I "ignorant" when I point out that HFY claims to be the ONLY martial art in the world that is a "science" that "follows the principles of the universe"? Am I "ignorant" when I claim that HFY is the ONLY martial system to reach maximum levels of efficiency? Am I "ignorant" when I point out that HFY claims to be the ONLY "system" that "can counter all other styles"? Am I "ignorant" when I point out HFY claims to be "the most cutting edge martial art on the planet?" Am I "ignorant" when I point out that Hung Fa Yi not only claims to be the ONLY martial "science" but also the ONLY version of Wing Chun that has "preserved the Chan heritage" of the Southern Shaolin Temple? And am I "ignorant" when I point out that Garrett Gee was calling his super secret system by another name until the time he met Benny Meng, and then afterwards changed the name and the lineage by adding a couple of generations?

Well...am I?

In case you didn't realize it, most of my HFY threads here all start off with verbatim quotes from your guys, whether it be from the pages of Mastering Kung Fu, hfy108, KFO or, now, Gary's website in Ireland. Then those quotes are subjected to criticism.

For one who is too cowardly to offer his real name (after repeated requests by more than one individual), you've got some serious cajones making such negative comments based on your experience within the organization.
    I gave my name already! It's back on one of the other threads, LOL!

But seriously, what good would that do really? Why do you wish to know?

I see you as being un truthful in your tale there about Meng's.
    See above and tell me where I am wrong.

Average tuition depends greatly on the type of program you enroll in.
    No ****? One need not be Sherlock Holmes to deduce that from my very first post on this thread.

Larry Holmes could've done that.

Instead of bitching about it, why don't you tell the whole tale of it.
    I'm not bitching...but do you want the WHOLE tale of it?

Okay....

Well, basically, there was this little dot, right? And the dot went bang and the bang expanded. Energy formed into matter, matter cooled, matter lived, the amoeba to fish, the fish to fowl, the fowl to frog, the frog to mammal, the mammal to monkey, the monkey to man, amo amas amat, quid pro quo, memento mori, ad infinitum, sprinkle on a little bit of grated cheese and leave under the grill til Doomsday.

It seems (so I speculate) as if you were enrolled in the Black Belt Program in Cinci or wherever you studied, and that you were paying an amount that would have completed the financial portion of your membership within a year to 18 months, at which point you'd then not have to pay anything except for renewal fees annually.
    $290 a month + 6.5% sales tax = 308.85 x 18 months = $5,559.30 for 3 years of training comes out to $154 a month.

And, of course, there are things like workshop fees and membership fees that could be factored into this as well, but I won't go there. Plus, when the 3 years was up, if you wanted to continue and teach HFY then you had to shell out $2,000 for the instructor's certification program. Or, for the real bargain, one could shell out $20,000 to the "grandmaster" and become a disciple. [Forget the fact that he only visits you guys in Dayton once a year!] Of course, I don't have $20,000 lying around so I'd have to take out a loan for that one, which means the discipleship-fee will actually end up costing me closer to $24,000-25,000.

Are you trying to tell me that this is NOT very costly?

Now, I know you guys claim to be "the most cutting edge martial art in the planet" and all, but, by comparison, some local MMA gyms only charge anywhere from $40-80 a month and with these you actually engage in hard contact sparring on a regular basis against committed opponents while learning a wide variety of attack and defense skills in ALL PHASES OF COMBAT (especially ground and not just standing like you guys).

Hmmm...

...$40-80 a month to train with people who actually spar and who'll teach you BJJ, Muay Thai, submission wrestling, SAMBO and other stuff...

...or $154+ a month for three years of a Wing Chun style where I didn't spar a single time in the one year I spent in it?

When a student enters into Discipleship, they usually approach the Sifu at some point in their initial training, voicing an interest of some kind or another to make a committment to the system for what ever reason, to learn it as a serious undertaking, to pass it on, to teach, or for their own personal reasons.
    Are you a disciple? Did you have $20,000 lying around or did you have to take out a loan?

Now, I have a serious question for you. Did you get into an encounter with someone and lose, so now you badmouth the system b/c of that?
    No...not at all. Let's just say I had a "paradigm shift" and started seeing through some of the BS!

Get over yourself and do something meaningful with your life.
    Huh?

Since I dare criticize HFY my life must be without meaning?

LMAO! You have no idea about my life.

Let's just say my wife and children have a very high regard about my "meaningfulness."

[Boy you HFY guys always have to get the personal attack in, huh? Why is that?]

Oh, and when you posted here negatively about HFY, what did you expect, us to sit back and do nothing?
    Not at all...I love it when you guys show up in droves, especially when all your rebuttals to the things I bring up can all be summarized by: "You're ignorant! You don't know what you're talking about! The proof is in the system! Only people within HFY can criticize it!" Blah, blah, blah...

Expect to be called on the fact that you're making decisions and claim based on your experience and that not one of us will validate your criticisms because of your ignorance and short time spent in the system. You'd be stupid not to expect it.
    As I said, then do take a stab at the things I brought up at the beginning of my post.

BTW: you and the other HFY people keep mentioning my "short time spent in the system." As others have already asked (to no answer of course), how much time does one have to spend in the system in order to be able to criticize it?

I guess we can start with that question...that is, if you REALLY want to have a discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 8:35am

Style: Ex-HFYWC, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezah
    Questions, you repsonded to the thread starters questions as though you are an authority on HFY, you are not, deal with it!
    Authority? Hey, I just gave a truthful account of the amount of $$$ I shelled out and what some of the other programs offered were in terms of $$$.

If that makes me an "authority", then sure, I'll claim the title!

I take it you haven't seen Gummo?????
    Actually I did. Weird movie. But it was nice to see ChloŽ Sevigny's breasts.

I still think we must be related, are you sure we're not????
    Didn't I already rule that one out?!?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast