Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanOutlaw86
    Well an effective 15 punch combo seems like a pretty effective way to end a fight, at least to me!
    The only way you can pull off a 15 punch combo is if the other person is not fighting back. If are doing 15 punch combos which connect, you are moving out of the realm of martial arts and into the criminal realm of assault and battery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 12:25pm

Style: HSR, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm amazed that no one is pointing out the obvious: A 15-punch combo is worthless if those 15 punches don't create enough stopping power to finish the fight! Less is more. Give me three solid internal punches and keep your fifteen flicky ones to yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 12:29pm

Style: Ex-HFYWC, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey everyone, I'm new here, but I love watching the videos on here and thought it might be worth a shot to ask a few questions.

I'm deciding between two places right now. One is called Meng's Martial Arts, in Dayton, Ohio. The Sifu is named Benny Meng, and they teach Wing Chun, and a few other styles. I've heard Benny Meng is a pretty respectable name, at least around here. I wasn't sure if any of you have heard of him or could recommend him.

The other place is called Aegis (website is www.aegispro.com) and they offer some different stuff like Muay Thai, and possibly BJJ (which I'm interested in, a lot). I don't know much else about this place, except that I'm interested in MMA's because they offer a lot of realistic defense and such.
    Dude, I belonged to Meng's martial arts for almost a year. Benny Meng is a competent martial artist for the most part, but you'll be learning a version of Wing Chun that is, shall we say, questionable, not to mention extremely cultish. (Just see some of my Hung Fa Yi threads and judge for yourself).

On top of this, his prices are really up there, well over $100 a month, not counting "down payments." He also has a "Black Sash Program" where he promises a black sash in 3 years. The cost:

$308.85 a month for 18 months.

And after the three years is up you will probably be hit up for the "Hung Fa Yi disciple program." The cost:

$20,000.

See a pattern?

Caveat emptor.

BTW how far are you from Middletown? This place might turn out to be an even better deal than the two you mentioned:

Team Jorge Gurgel

I don't train there but I hear it's a VERY good school. It costs a LOT less than what Benny Meng charges, and plus you get to train with people with established fighting credentials. (Jorge Gurgel was in TUF 2, for example).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 12:41pm

Style: Looking for one

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that's awesome. I'm not too far from Middletown, and I saw Jorge on TUF2 and my cousins husband actually trained there for a few months.

I might check that out. By the way, my email is Urban_Outlaw86@hotmail.com and my aim is UrbanOutlaw86

We should get in touch sometime to discuss places around here =)

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well an effective 15 punch combo seems like a pretty effective way to end a fight, at least to me!
    The only effective 15 punch combo is the one I do when I chain-slap my chick on her butt - it is not devastating, but she seems to like it. It also works in videogames and hollywood movies.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 12:57pm

Style: Firearms-Inactive-HFY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostDog68
    Dude, I belonged to Meng's martial arts for almost a year.
    For almost a year, so not even a year, and in that time you gained enough experience to become an expert? :laughing4

Benny Meng is a competent martial artist for the most part
    Wow..........the above just takes my breath away :lol:

but you'll be learning a version of Wing Chun that is, shall we say, questionable, not to mention extremely cultish.
    Questionable......with your limited experience on anything Wing Chun, the comment above is what's questionable :bsflag:

(Just see some of my Hung Fa Yi threads and judge for yourself).
    All I can see is you gripping over someone p!ssing in your Cheerios!

So were you ever able to work out if you are that long lost relative????

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:03pm

Style: Shutting up and training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa.

http://www.mengsmartialarts.com/childrens_program.php

“I used to be very weak and the people at school made fun of me, but since I started martial arts I feel I’m getting stronger. It helped train me ears so that Mom doesn’t have to yell to get my attention. My mom goes crazy to find a place to send me like band or Boy Scouts and now she has a safe place she trusts to send me, Meng’s Martial Arts!”

This site really sends you down the guilt trip route.

"Your child’s future is in your hands. Shouldn’t you do everything within your power to give your child a strong foundation in all areas of life?"

Bleugh.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:17pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he was in several MA magazines, and his school has won many trophies (though of which kind I'm not sure)

I had also heard that he was training under some student of Bruce Lee (but a lot of this could be exaggerated info). So from what I've heard, he's a pretty good Sifu.

I'm really interested in any style, as long as it's not some McDojo and they are known for excellence. If anyone knows any places in Ohio, preferably near Dayton, that would be awesome. =)
    None of that means he's a good Sifu. Magazines tend to feature mystical people that don't know anything. They also feature celebrities and ESPECIALLY anyone associated with Bruce Lee. There are plenty of people who've "trained" under Bruce Lee, doesn't mean a thing. Bruce Lee was fast and pretty skilled, that doesn't necessarily gaurantee that his students were if you know what I mean. Also, if Meng's trophies are NOT from full contact kickboxing or anything like that, then they're most likely for useless forms or point sparring.

What you should look for is aliveness/resistance as I said before. That means you should search for schools that do drills where your partner actively RESISTS your actions. Not Wing Chun Chi Sao or anything like that, but if the move is effective it should work even if your opponent is trying hard to make sure you fail.

Also the school should have continuous free HARD sparring/rolling. Hard sparring should be classified as continuous hard striking between to combatants that does NOT restart every time one person hits the other.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:21pm

Style: Ex-HFYWC, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by geezah
    For almost a year, so not even a year, and in that time you gained enough experience to become an expert?
    Did I ever claim to be an expert?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezah
    So were you ever able to work out if you are that long lost relative????
    With your IQ....doubtful.
    Last edited by GhostDog68; 2/08/2006 1:24pm at .

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:22pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezah
    For almost a year, so not even a year, and in that time you gained enough experience to become an expert? :laughing4
    With some previous experience in MA, 1 year is long enough to see through the bullshit in most styles.
    In Meng's case it is enough to read through the wbsite.

Tomas
    Current stage of death: denial
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast