Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9

that one is great !! The power of Bullshido compells you to fly ! !
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cane techniques are have a long history in Hapkido and represent a significant amount of most Hapkido weapons training. Unfortunately that technique also represents a good amount of that training. Here! Grab this unrealistically while I throw you high in the air with a wristlock.

That is why I always refer to Hapkido as "flyingwristlock" because honestly as you see the highest levels of Hapkido they try to get more and more dramatic with these stuff. It is laughably cheesy with Aikido style throws. The higher = the better.

I thought the 1st animated image with the headlock flip and drop kick was infinately funnier though.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cane techniques are have a long history in Hapkido and represent a significant amount of most Hapkido weapons training.
    I love the cane and have spent quite a bit of time learning it outside of the dojang and within it .

That is why I always refer to Hapkido as "flyingwristlock" because honestly as you see the highest levels of Hapkido they try to get more and more dramatic with these stuff. It is laughably cheesy with Aikido style throws. The higher = the better.
    that is truth
    I thought the 1st animated image with the headlock flip and drop kick was infinately funnier though.
    I thought that was tekken combo .

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 12:26am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you sure you were doing Hapkido?

The reason I ask is the guy from earlier went into a huge tirade...and then we find out he wasn't exactly sure what he was doing was Hapkido.
    Well, Moo Gong Kwan doesn't have much of an online presence at all. The link I gave you was the only one I could find.

MGK's headquarters is here in Peterborough, ON and it's run by the Choi family. (Yeah, that's *totally* specific, right?) They own a whole bunch of businesses around here; the school seems to be cing on the cake. I don't remember te name of the 8th degree, but the 4th degree who ran classes was named Won-Il -- big guy with thick knuckles and a mullet. As far as I know there are only 5-6 other BB's including a friend of mine and, presumably, Won-Il's younger brother.

When I moved to Toronto briefly I asked Won-Il if there were any Hapkido schools I could train at. He said there weren't but I might try a Kuk Sool Won school there. He was pretty adamant that there weren't "really" any HKD schools in Toronto, and that WTF taekwondo was a game you fooled around with high high school.

As for it being T3H R3Al Hapkido, it had canework and standing joint controls. I can't tell you how "live" the weapons training was because I didn't get that far, but the standing jointlocks were trained with more aliveness than I've seen anywhere else. Once you learned five or so you crossed hands with your partner and tried to apply them against resistance. Once that started getting comfortable you moved into more of a proper clinch and tried to add throws and so on. There were a whole bunch of pics of Master Choi doing demonstration techniques where people flied around, but the BB test I saw involved a combination of full contact sparring and demonstrating clean techniques. There were a series of solo forms as well, but there wasn't much to them that you wouldn't actually do. There *was* the whole distinction between left and right side that comes right from JJJ/Aikijutsu, though.

So, I *think* so. The impression I got was that there are a whole bunch of HKD organizations that don't have much to do wth each other ranging from "TKD+" to hybrid Korean/Chinese/Japanese MA that use Hapkido as a flag of convenience for whatever it is they do.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567