Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 11:04pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The TKD mechanics don't work for you invidiually but power wise, it provides sufficient power. You don't seem to agree. Why?

And also, South Korean Taekwondo isn't really point sparring b/c it's continuous and full contact. I think point sparring mostly refers to stuff like shotokan where it's light/no contact and broken up after each hit.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 11:06pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, you need to get over this whole South Korean TKD North Korean TKD bullshit right now.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 11:47pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD sparring (North or South) is still point sparring. The emphasis is on gaining points. Granted you can win my KO, but you still are trying to accumlate points as the main avenue of winning. It's just not point-stop. Both ITF and WTF use continuous point sparring as I understand it. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 11:56pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's point sparring like Olympic boxing is point sparring. You can still knock fuckers out.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me tell you, just because I have nothing better to do right now, why I am usually very reserved around people who do Korean arts. I did a short stint of Taekwon-do myself. It was fun, but not my kind of art and I quit, haven't really looked back.

But what I noticed among the Korean MA crowd was the inability to view anything but Korean stuff. I am a Japanophile really, but I initially started TKD. I'm trying to fit BJJ into my schedule, and I like Kali. I think Shootfighting would be a roit. But alas.. Time, money.. the eternal nemesis of non-athlete MA'ists. Oh, and rotten excuses, but **** off.

But WHY is it that when anyone proclaiming they've ever done TKD for instance, or Kumdo or some other ridiculous Japanese ripoff (yeah that one is gonna turn some angry heads) ALWAYS have to cross train in some OTHER Korean martial art?

When I want to try something new, I don't go "yeah.. japanese stuff.. that's probably great" but TKD guys always seem to do this. Of people I know, one a brother of a friend went off to Hapkido. TKD guy. A chick I hardly knew, but talked to now and then, TKD chick, started Hapkido.. and HATED it.. but ****, why try something you LIKE when you have something KOREAN nearby?

I swear I will never get that ****.

Rant over.
    More human than human is our motto.

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 12:50am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fanatical
    But WHY is it that when anyone proclaiming they've ever done TKD for instance, or Kumdo or some other ridiculous Japanese ripoff (yeah that one is gonna turn some angry heads)
    Cuz it's pretty much historically inaccurate.

ALWAYS have to cross train in some OTHER Korean martial art?
    Cuz they're either idiots, cultural snobs, or obsessed with all things Korean...Possibly all three.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:04am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Cuz it's pretty much historically inaccurate.
    Isn't TKD basically Koreanized Shotokan and Kumdo -> Kendo, Yudo -> Judo?

It's point sparring like Olympic boxing is point sparring. You can still knock fuckers out.
    I kind of think of Olympic Boxing and Olympic TKD as two sides of the same coin. The goals are the same, but the rules on how to go about it are completely different.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:12am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    The TKD mechanics don't work for you invidiually but power wise, it provides sufficient power. You don't seem to agree. Why?
    ...becouse I have found MUCH better ways to add power to my kicks . Kicking TKD style is faster in alot of scenarios but rarely can it be throw with follow through . People say my roundhouse kick is like "being hit with by a car ". What exactly that means I am not sure but I take it as a good thing .

I dont get comments like that when I use TKD styled roundhouse kicks .

And earlier when I mentioned TKD's power generation on kicks ... thats only some kicks some of the time . We have three (so far ... more variations coming soon I hear ) roundhouse kicks with different mechanics . Shin , ball of foot , and instep . The instep roundhouse kick is done TKD style as is the ball of foot ... the shin kick is alot like MT's ... most the time we are asked to throw instep kicks when we spar . So I "do it wrong" alot and it was fresh on my mind and I am bitter so I kinda glossed over that one and gave it a negative spin .... unless your a TKD nutrider .. then I made it sound cool ...

Hapkido really is a decent Martial Art and one of my goals is to eventualy move near a school that will meet my criteria . If that doesnt happen it will be Boxing ... even if I have to ride my bike to the fucking ghetto across town to do it .

So like I said on a different post in a different thread ... do boxing unless the Hapkido thats available is way above average .

One good way to check is to see if there are any peoples under the age of about 18 ... sometimes 16 .. depends on the body . Teh R3@l H@pk!d0 isnt safe to train on still developing joints .

OK, you need to get over this whole South Korean TKD North Korean TKD bullshit right now.
    You know I am real surprised I dont hear more of that bullshit out of peoples mouths considering the political clusterfuck situation of the area .

But WHY is it that when anyone proclaiming they've ever done TKD for instance, or Kumdo or some other ridiculous Japanese ripoff (yeah that one is gonna turn some angry heads) ALWAYS have to cross train in some OTHER Korean martial art?

When I want to try something new, I don't go "yeah.. japanese stuff.. that's probably great" but TKD guys always seem to do this. Of people I know, one a brother of a friend went off to Hapkido. TKD guy. A chick I hardly knew, but talked to now and then, TKD chick, started Hapkido.. and HATED it.. but ****, why try something you LIKE when you have something KOREAN nearby?

I swear I will never get that ****.

Rant over.
    I dont get that **** either man ... Hapkido and TKD should be proud of their roots regardless of how it got to the country . It's apperantly a little bit of a touchy subject ... which I dont get either ... the truth is the truth ... even it does hurt people's little feelers ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:13am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Isn't TKD basically Koreanized Shotokan and Kumdo -> Kendo, Yudo -> Judo?
    Yes. However, (I don't feel like going into a history lesson at this time of night), to say that the Koreans blatantly ripped off the Japanese budo is to be ignorant of several historical complexities. Taken to one extreme, it is in line with several right-wing groups in Japan that are the equivalent of Nazi Holocaust deniers here in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    I kind of think of Olympic Boxing and Olympic TKD as two sides of the same coin. The goals are the same, but the rules on how to go about it are completely different.
    I'd agree with that.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 1:15am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't feel like going into a history lesson at this time of night
    I'll wait for the book.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast