Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 9:10pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions about Hapkido

I've done some research about Hapkido and it has me intriguied. I have several questions, though.

Hapkido, from what I've been able to gather, is a well rounded system with hand strikes, kicks, sweeps, takedowns, locks, and throws.

Is it really well rounded?

Also, do they place equal emphasis on kicks and hands? If not, which is more emphasized and by how much more?

How is the ground grappling in Hapkido? I heard there's some of that in HKD also.

Thanks

p.s... This is all assuming that I find a good dojang with an instructor who knows what he's doing. I'm not out to start another effectiveness thread. I just want some opinions.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 9:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    I've done some research about Hapkido and it has me intriguied. I have several questions, though.

Hapkido, from what I've been able to gather, is a well rounded system with hand strikes, kicks, sweeps, takedowns, locks, and throws.

Is it really well rounded?

Also, do they place equal emphasis on kicks and hands? If not, which is more emphasized and by how much more?

How is the ground grappling in Hapkido? I heard there's some of that in HKD also.

Thanks

p.s... This is all assuming that I find a good dojang with an instructor who knows what he's doing. I'm not out to start another effectiveness thread. I just want some opinions.

It's usualy one of those arts with AWESOME potential but poorly/improperly trained .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. Well, that's what I meant though. What's it like, provided that I will train it properly?

Well rounded ?

Equal emph on hands and feet?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 9:34pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, use the search function. There have been multiple threads on this subject.

It is a very well rounded art. It can include standing joint manipulation, ground grappling, throws, weapons training, weapons defense, and striking.

The striking usually seems to focus on hand strikes. Often a lot of palm heel strikes and elbows. Generally there isnt much punching/ boxing.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 10:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. Well, that's what I meant though. What's it like, provided that I will train it properly?

Well rounded ?

Equal emph on hands and feet?
    Hapkido usualy involves tons of clinch work , takedowns , boxing styled punches (mainly) and basic weapons . Our Kicks are NOT flashy but use alot of TKD's power generation methods * blah face * .

At the early stages of training you should be focusing on fluid and continous motion . There will be very little groundwork untill the higher belts and it will usualy suck compared to the grappling focused arts out there . Lots of misinformation and crappling in your average Hapkido/TKD Dojang .

You will be learning standing joint locks and pain compliance methods from day one but they are about useless with out the striking ( entrance techniques ) and base training .

These entrance techniques are actualy the bread and butter of Hapkido contrary to popular belief not the joint locks and pain compliance techniques .

Is it well rounded ? Well it depends on your school . Most the time you will be just as well rounded as your average TKD-ist becouse the training methods are similiar . Compliant training will only take you so far .

You find a school that spars ALOT without the TKD sparring gear and you will end up being a well rounded martial artist with an above average knowlodge of most "ranges" . Unfortunately its not likely that you will find this .

... I dont want to ramble on ... anything else you would like to know ?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 10:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please ramble on more about entrance techniques. That intrigues me.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 10:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Please ramble on more about entrance techniques. That intrigues me.

Mainly I am refering punching/counter punching and where/how to grab and strike close in ... the low kicks in combination with foot work to set up take downs and keep your base ...when to kick ... where you go after you kick ... how to get into the clinch without getting knocked the **** out ......

I dont claim to be an expert ... and I am not in the best school .

Quote Originally Posted by _Mick_
    The striking usually seems to focus on hand strikes. Often a lot of palm heel strikes and elbows. Generally there isnt much punching/ boxing.
    Do you really not focus on punching and boxing ? We have alot of unorthadox strikes but we usualy keep it simple and very direct with about a 60/40 split with hands(arms)/feet(legs) .
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 10:20pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapkido is one of those arts that varies tremendously between branches. I studied Moo Gong Hapkido. This is what is was like:

1) Hands and kicks use a lot of circular body rotation. The kicks did not resemble taekwondo at all. For example, the round kick was thrown like a thai round kick. The same power principles applied to other kicks. I understand other schools use TKD kicks, though.

Punches, on the other hand, we all about near-total commitment and body rotation into the blow, with an emphasis on relaxed power like the kicks. There wasn't a lot of strategy applied to strikes. If you couldn't bat it out of the park, you threw and restrained. On the other hand, they trained you heavy to hit really, really hard.

2) As mentioned, the first grappling techniques are standard standing joint controls. Moo Gong heavily favored a spinning, circular entry style called (sp?)Chonon Pol. Applying these in free fighting was heavily emphasized, and you generally waited until you could get somebody in (say) a decent 5th control from a clinch (not to the point of a throw, but at least an escape/opening) before moving on. This is probably why I *can* do that, actually.

3) Throws and groundwork generally came last. The idea in my school was that you trained a thing to the point where you could use it in free fighting (which used pretty heavy contact) and moved on. Preparation with falls and rolls start right from the beginning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 10:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Our Kicks are NOT flashy but use alot of TKD's power generation methods * blah face * .
    Well, you're not really supposed to use flasy kicks in TKD sparring either. And I think our kicks provide ample power. You do not?

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    You find a school that spars ALOT without the TKD sparring gear and you will end up being a well rounded martial artist with an above average knowlodge of most "ranges" . Unfortunately its not likely that you will find this .
    Really? I heard most Hapkido schools are sparring these days. And even the ones that do not.. they train with resistance, don't they? Like when you're practicing all those locks and stuff they tell the defender to resist a bit and not totally comply right?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 10:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you're not really supposed to use flasy kicks in TKD sparring either. And I think our kicks provide ample power. You do not?
    No I do not think TKD mechanics work for me in the least . I personaly use more a MT type mechanics in my kicking but thats not what is "taught" to me . Its just left over from my earlier Mutt Kung Fu days ...

Really? I heard most Hapkido schools are sparring these days. And even the ones that do not.. they train with resistance, don't they? Like when you're practicing all those locks and stuff they tell the defender to resist a bit and not totally comply right?
    No ... not usualy .

Its propoganda .... kinda like "TKD is effective on the street even if you only train for point sparring tourneys " ...
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast