Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

where is your weight during your power punch?

By power punch, I mean the big, straight right if you are fighting in an orthodox stance.

I tend to be an outside fighter and I tend to put most of my weight on the front foot when throwing the straight right. The right foot pivots on the ball, but the right heel is lifted.

I've recently been working out with someone who does it completely differently. He is short and stalky and a strong inside fighter.

He actually shifts the weight to his back(right) foot when throwing the straight right. His right foot still pivots on the ball, but his heel barely leaves the floor.

I've tried it and for reasons I don't quite comprehend the shift in weight from front to back during the puch seems to give extra power. It just goes against the way I was taught.

Does anyone else punch like this?

Is it an inside fighter's punch exclusively?
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I throw the cross with the weight on my back foot, otherwise I find myself going off balance when throwing the punch. Sometimes I'll overcommit and sort of dive into the cross and the weight will come off my back foot, but at those times I'm off balance and not as able to quickly throw another punch or move around well.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where's my weight?

In yo' face!
    :google:

Number of bottles of beer downed by me and my girlfriend within a half hour while playing the Channel 7 "how many times will they say 'snow' game" during the "Blizzard of '06": 3.5 each.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 3:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Kid.

When/if you pivot your back foot, is your heel close to or dragging on the ground?
    The vast Universe!
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 3:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my heel is off the ground, but I keep it pretty low
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 3:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo
    By power punch, I mean the big, straight right if you are fighting in an orthodox stance.

I tend to be an outside fighter and I tend to put most of my weight on the front foot when throwing the straight right. The right foot pivots on the ball, but the right heel is lifted.

I've recently been working out with someone who does it completely differently. He is short and stalky and a strong inside fighter.

He actually shifts the weight to his back(right) foot when throwing the straight right. His right foot still pivots on the ball, but his heel barely leaves the floor.

I've tried it and for reasons I don't quite comprehend the shift in weight from front to back during the puch seems to give extra power. It just goes against the way I was taught.

Perhaps it's because when his weight is on his back leg, he can put the musculature of his back leg into the punch ? Just a guess.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo

Umm can you both be half right? :eusa_danc .

Ok so it's all balance. Except for the moment of impact you should be as close to 50/50 as you can be. If your weight is on your front leg you're leaning too forward. Can you throw follow up punches and be stable after that big right? Too far back and you don't get the power you need.

This is how I do it. I don't word good so let me know if this isn't clear.

What you want to do is "sit" down into the punch. You should flex at the knees in stance, as you do you'll feel the hip rotation, especially as you flex your right knee. That's the wind up and the follow up is throwing the punch. THe heel has to come up as your hips and upperbody rotate.

Edit - extra power comes from dropping your weight into the punch. Like with a hard jab you're leaning your entire weight into the blow,
    Last edited by PirateJon; 2/07/2006 4:02pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Umm can you both be half right? :eusa_danc .

Ok so it's all balance. Except for the moment of impact you should be as close to 50/50 as you can be. If your weight is on your front leg you're leaning too forward. Can you throw follow up punches and be stable after that big right? Too far back and you don't get the power you need.

This is how I do it. I don't word good so let me know if this isn't clear.

What you want to do is "sit" down into the punch. You should flex at the knees in stance, as you do you'll feel the hip rotation, especially as you flex your right knee. That's the wind up and the follow up is throwing the punch. THe heel has to come up as your hips and upperbody rotate.

So many methods, so little time.

I don't find having the weight on the front foot to be problematical. It's stable. It's balanced. It lets me throw the punch and slip to the left at the same time. It enables be to pivot out, either to the right or left.

It also enables me to drive my 225 lbs foward which gives power. It also enables me to close the distance from the outside.

Reasons it would suck:

It doesn't really work if I start at close range.

If there are sweeps with the feet involved, I'm toast.

Now that you mention it, it makes a follow up hook difficult.

I'll give that 50-50 thing a try in addition to the shifting-the-weigh-back thing.
    The vast Universe!
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:09pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Push with rear (right) foot, step left and forward with lead foot to open up hips, allowing full hip twist. Weight is shifting forward as I step forward with the punch. As left foot drops, right fist gets extension, and weight shifts forward and drops a bit. Body weight+twist/hip torque+extension = power.

So, upon landing, my weight goes forward to my lead leg. It's not a drastic shift, but maybe 60-40. Since I drop my center of gravity a little, I don't feel tippy in the slightest, and am prepared to throw a second power punch with my left. Hook or bolo punch usually.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 4:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think my weight distribution comes from my originally getting used to fighting with a very traditional thai stance where almost all the weight is kept on the back leg. Keeping a lot of weight on the front leg makes me more vulnerable to pick kicks/front leg sweeps, and makes checking kicks a little slower (FOR ME).
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast