I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Consolidating terms and definitions

Because it's fucking insane trying to figure out all 50 meanings of the same damn kick/punch/etc.

I'll start off with the important ones and givee my reasoning for this being the name for it.

Roundhouse - The most commonly used kick. Starts either in front or back the user pivots on the non-kicking leg and the kicking leg either chambers then releases before or after reaching the intended target, depending on the intended use of the kick. Another variation is to plow through with no chambering using your hips as its mode of transportation. Or done with a combonation of both. Taught in very many different ways, but does a lot of the same.

Sidekick - Not so commonly used kick. Kidspatula definitely hates it and according to her only used by annoying TKDists. The kick chambers up and is released straight out from the person's body. Usually the heel is used as the striking point, but it's been known to use the bottom of the foot and the edge of the foot as well.

Spinning Hook kick - This is essentially a hook kick that you put a spin into it to create more momentum and thus more force into the kick. Some hook the kick at the very last moment, while others just drive the leg straight all the way through.

Spinning back kick - This is a side kick that has a spin in it. Usually starts with the back leg, a spin in the direction that the back leg being used is. I.E. Right leg in back, you'd sping to the right. If the left leg, then spin to the left. The usual contact point is the heel, but like the side kick, some use the flat of the foot or the edge of the foot.

Add more because I have to go now.

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Combo-nation. sweet.

This is a great idea. However, we can type words all day trying to define techniques, and what would most likely happen is an argument where both sides are right and are just confused with terminology. So....

This thread needs more pics!
    Last edited by Neildo; 2/03/2006 6:56pm at .
    :new_all_c

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 10:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc
    Spinning back kick - This is a side kick that has a spin in it. Usually starts with the back leg, a spin in the direction that the back leg being used is. I.E. Right leg in back, you'd sping to the right. If the left leg, then spin to the left. The usual contact point is the heel, but like the side kick, some use the flat of the foot or the edge of the foot.
    Not to get too pedantic, but I'd use the description "Spinning back kick" to signify a donkey style kick, where, unlike a spinning side kick (which is what I'd call the kick described above), the body isn't fully turned around and the foot is usually vertical when it makes contact with the opponent.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 12:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really needs short clips, especially for "back kick", "sping kick", "spinning back kick" and "spinning round house" which are all terms I have seen used interchangeable for each other depending on the school.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 2:08am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My buddy has a .454 Super Redhawk that kicks like a bitchy bitch. Three shots and my paws were achin'

:cry:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 10:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Damn!!
    Hey, stop trying to derail this thread with another awesome gun thread. geez.

Omar, of course you're right about short clips. Pics are just easier to post....I was thinking of those B&W posters that have techniques drawn step by step...I've tried to do a google image search before but couldn't find any.
    :new_all_c

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well then I will try my best to get some short clips for these kicks. I think this falls more just for kicks though, as pretty much every punch follows the same name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2006 8:53pm

Style: Kung Fu/TKD/MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in a spinning hook kick the leg bends as the final part of the movement (like in a normal hook kick). if the keg is kept straight, it is a reverse turning kick (reverse roundhouse).

a spinning back kick is donkey style, the leg goes out more backwards and the foot is more or less vertical, toes down.
    a reverse (or reverse spinning) side kick is what you described as a back kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2006 5:43am

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's this?

Jab - A quick straight punch with the lead hand. Involves minimal shoulder and leg movement.

Straight - A punch from the "non-lead" hand. The shoulders twist so that the non-lead shoulder is now in the front. The back foot usually pivots onto the ball of the foot to facilitate this movement.

Corkscrew punch - A straight, except the hand twists in such a way that the "eye" of the hand is now facing the floor(eye being the shape the index finger and thumb make). This little twist can add alot of power to a punch(though it can be an over-committed attack leaving the striker open to counters).

Hook - This strike hits the opponent from the side as opposed to jabs and straights which target the center line. The forearm locks to form a 90 degree angle with the upper arm. The shoulders tend to swing quite abit to generate force.[I'm not sure if its the back leg or the front leg that's supposed to pivot someone clear this up?]

Uppercut - Hits from the abdomen upwards, usually targeted at the exposed chin of the opponent. As the lead fist rises upward, the lead foot pivots onto the ball of the foot somewhat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2006 2:47pm

Style: Kung Fu/TKD/MMA n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of a corkscrew punch. I'm assuming the line is something in between a straight and a hook? Since if it was fully straight the twist on the arm takes quite a bit of power away (I think, I'll have a play on some pads at some point, I might be wrong) and it puts you in a really vulnerable position for locks, not to mention the probability of over extension.
    meh.
    the hook needs to be split into vertical and horizontal, since the positioning of the fist has an effect on angle and application.
    ETA: and aren't uppercuts often aimed at stomach and groin, as a cheeky strike under their guard, it still has plenty of power as a lower strike. the chin-aimed ones tend to take too long to travel, they see it coming.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast