Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 11:47am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapp
    I used to feel Pride had the better talent. I still do in some ways but one suprising thing for me was when Baroni went to Pride. Here is a guy who was basically run out of the UFC for bad, repeated losses (what was it, three in a row?). He signs with Pride and proceeds to convincingly beat some of their better talent at that weight.
    UFC clearly has the best fighters at 185 and 170. Mostly because Pride only had two weight classes until very recently.

Posted On:
    2/13/2006 2:59pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from Franklin who does the UFC have at 185 who is any good? The Crow? Ace is going to bury him in the first round. 185 is a one person division in the UFC.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 6:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Aside from Franklin who does the UFC have at 185 who is any good? The Crow? Ace is going to bury him in the first round. 185 is a one person division in the UFC.
    Franklin, Tanner, Loiseau, Terrell, Linland > Henderson, a 40 year old Bustamante, Baroni's tired ass and Ikuhisa "the Lay n Pray Punk" Minowa.

Just because Franklin is clearly the class of the divison doesn't mean the rest of the guys aren't a ton better than what Pride has.

"Aside from Fedor who does Pride have at heavyweight who is any good? Khartinov? Fedor is going to bury him in the first round. Heavyweight is a one person division in Pride."

See how stupid that sounds?
    Last edited by Meager; 2/14/2006 6:12am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 9:22am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden
    Well, have they let go of Marquadt yet?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 12:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    Franklin, Tanner, Loiseau, Terrell, Linland > Henderson, a 40 year old Bustamante, Baroni's tired ass and Ikuhisa "the Lay n Pray Punk" Minowa.
    Amen on Baroni and Minowa. Henderson on the other hand is a bloody wizard. He spent years fighting way out of his natural weight class, and mostly won. Similarly, Bustamente has beaten down plenty of quality fighters, and never lost to anyone other than Henderson and top quality larger men.

And Gomi could go against anyone at his weight right now. I'd love to see a rematch with Penn given how he's come along.

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 1:08pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last I checked, Lindland wasn't with the UFC. I like Henderson quite a bit.

Overall, the Pride talent pool at the lower classes isn't as deep, but I expect that will change in the next few years.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 1:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Overall, the Pride talent pool at the lower classes isn't as deep, but I expect that will change in the next few years.
    True, but I'd say the men at the top are a match for anyone in the UFC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Last I checked, Lindland wasn't with the UFC. I like Henderson quite a bit.
    Didn't know about Lindland, and actually I'm glad he's gone. Watching him fight is slightly less boring than watching paint dry. He's also the worst of the 5 fighters I listed.

Henderson's enitre game at this point is throwing his overhand right and hoping for a KO. I really don't know why the hell he's regressed so much but watching Bustamante take him down and control him on the ground for most of their fight was sort of sad (Busta is awesome but Henderson is an Olympic caliber wrestler for chrissake).
    I agree. Doesn't change the fact that saying that the UFC has no one besides Franklin at 185 is ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by PointShinyBurn
    Similarly, Bustamente has beaten down plenty of quality fighters, and never lost to anyone other than Henderson and top quality larger men.
    I like Bustamante alot but he's 39 and I don't see him fighting a whole lot longer.
    True, but I'd say the men at the top are a match for anyone in the UFC.
    Franklin would destroy Henderson. UFC doesn't have much of a 155 division at this point but Penn could drop to 155 again if he wanted to and he already schooled Gomi.

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UFC doesn't have much of a 155 division at this point but Penn could drop to 155 again if he wanted to and he already schooled Gomi.
    The Gomi who got schooled by Penn is not the Gomi of recent fights. He's got a lot tighter, he hits harder, he just looks all round better. I'm not saying it would be a lock or anything, but it'd be a lot closer than last time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Gomi could keep it standing he'd have a chance, but if Penn can take down Matt Hughes he can take down Gomi (again) and once it hits the ground Gomi is simply outclassed.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, Gomi is fucking awesome, and since Penn fights at 170 now Pride obviously has the best talent at 155. But then again UFC doesn't really have a 155 division anymore (although I suppose they're trying to change that). Kind of like how UFC has the best talent at 170 because Pride doesn't have a 170 division.

Edit2: To answer the original question, overall Pride has the best fighters easily, and if they are serious about their 185 division they will eventually attract the best in the world there. And if they wanted to start a 170 division they'd eventually end up with the best welterweights as well.
    Last edited by Meager; 2/14/2006 2:48pm at .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast