Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Just starting out, need opinions.

I am getting back into martial arts after a horrid Aikido experience and have decided to take Karate. There is a local dojo here so I signed up and have been taking lessons for two weeks now. Can you guys give me your opinion of them:

World Oyama

It is full contact style and I am learning under one of the founders, Saiko Shihan Y. Oyama. Classes are broken up into Kihon and Kata during the first two nights, the last two nights are Kihon, Kata, and Kumite. The classes are very intense, lots of sweat and a little blood. Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by jhay_x7; 2/06/2006 12:38am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:48am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks good. Don't take the kata too seriously and work the sparring as much as possible and you'll end up being a good striker. Perhaps pick up some judo to give you some ground work eventually.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 4:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of curiosity, does this Oyama have any relation to Mas Oyama (KK)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 4:45am

Style: HSR, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably not. Oyama is a really common name in Japan, like Smith.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, DO NOT learn kobudo (weapons) from this guy. He claims to be able to catch a katana barehaded (and has a pic of him doing so in his intro Flash video), which demonstrates that his weapons knowledge is crap. I practice a sword system--Hikita Yagyu Shinkage-ryu--that has a very high-level barehanded katana disarming technique (muto-dori). Take it from me: there is no technique that will allow you to physically catch a live blade and take it away from a resisting opponent. As such, we may safely assume that this guy is into flashy, stunt-based weapons handling.

Of course, he probably still has good striking skills. Don't let one shabby aspect of the program dissuade you from the program at large. In fact, having read over the website, it looks a darn sight better than the Kyokushin place I'm presently attending. I'd say go for it!
    Last edited by Invictus; 2/06/2006 4:56am at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 5:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Just out of curiosity, does this Oyama have any relation to Mas Oyama (KK)?
    It is a Kyokushin derivative, but is named after its founder who was no relation to Mas. As to the katana trick I don't see why it would be physically impossible, especially with something less than a fully comitted cut.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 5:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin, bjj blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No relation at all, but Mas Oyama choose his japanese name from the brothers family. He also trained them and they where highly ranked within Kyokushin. They broke off in the 80s and started World Oyama Karate. Something about a connection to the Moon cult that Mas Oyama didn't like.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 5:36am

supporting member
     Style: Yoseikan Budo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    It is a Kyokushin derivative, but is named after its founder who was no relation to Mas. As to the katana trick I don't see why it would be physically impossible, especially with something less than a fully comitted cut.
    well duh of course in a demo it's possible, but if we are talking about catching a live blade, it will be commited and you will loose your hands then die because the blade will continue it's course to cut you.
    Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 5:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LolodesBois
    well duh of course in a demo it's possible, but if we are talking about catching a live blade, it will be commited and you will loose your hands then die because the blade will continue it's course to cut you.
    He does it with a clap, aiming to sandwich the blade between the flats of his hands. The danger is therefore not sliced hands, but a missed catch and a sliced head. Given that he knows which cut is coming and when I don't see it as impossible. I don't think he's claiming it's a workable defence, or anything more than a cool demo.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 5:57am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not impossible, it's just hard and stupid to try. Whoever told you someone it was impossible was exaggerating a bit.

Like, technically, in a game of five card draw, you could deal six royal flushes. It's not impossible.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 7:03am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Catching a sword between your hands is daft. The opponent holding the sword has far more power to twist the weapon, so even if you manage to catch it, you'll lose most of your hands immediately afterwards.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast