Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 11:55am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Try to recognize that an Omoplata is damn hard to actually 'finish'. It is very easy to resist. And very easy to stand up out of. In Judo you stand and it's over.

I would say it is a low percentage finish and even lower in Judo.
    This has occurred to me, reading some of Aesopian's how to's, and hedgehog's treasure hunt thread.

How often are the more complicated moves (e.g. reverse omoplata) actually used and scored with, in competition?

In many judo books, the authors describe what I would consider "fancy" techniques, but then qualify the technique as a randori-only technique, one that's interesting to try in training but too risky for competition.

I get a feel from the discussion of various BJJ techniques that they can be done in practice, but I don't get a feel for how well they work in competition, let alone what works at high-level competition.

There's a lot of things I try in practice, and have fun with ("you like that trick?") - but when it's against someone who's trying to beat me stupid? I like to stick to basics.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 5:25pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear it said time and time again by my judo instructor. He will say 'that was a great move, imagine how much better you would be if you spent that time practicing the basics".

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 6:15pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I hear it said time and time again by my judo instructor. He will say 'that was a great move, imagine how much better you would be if you spent that time practicing the basics".
    I happen to think the omoplata is a good basic technique. I use it as a sweep just as often as I use it as a submission, but that doesn't make it some kind of ridiculous over-the-top tech. I REGULARLY use an omoplata sweep/starsweep combo when my opponents stand up in my guard. I haven't had an opponent stand up in my guard in competition (takedown ==> top game is my focus in tournaments, so it isn't exactly like I end up here a lot), but if I do, the omoplata sweep is a technique I would not hesitate to use. Maybe I'll get blown out for using it, but right now I consider it to be bread and butter, not anything crazy. Perhaps I will have my worldview concerning it adjusted at some point. I'll let everyone know if/when that happens.

This is obviously for BJJ, not Judo.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 6:24pm

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd consider omoplata basic too. You don't see it in judo comp since it tages time and some wiggling to get, but I do and get it in club randori. Same with omoplata sweeps.

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I happen to think the omoplata is a good basic technique. I use it as a sweep just as often as I use it as a submission, but that doesn't make it some kind of ridiculous over-the-top tech. I REGULARLY use an omoplata sweep/starsweep combo when my opponents stand up in my guard. I haven't had an opponent stand up in my guard in competition (takedown ==> top game is my focus in tournaments, so it isn't exactly like I end up here a lot), but if I do, the omoplata sweep is a technique I would not hesitate to use. Maybe I'll get blown out for using it, but right now I consider it to be bread and butter, not anything crazy. Perhaps I will have my worldview concerning it adjusted at some point. I'll let everyone know if/when that happens.

This is obviously for BJJ, not Judo.
    Current stage of death: denial

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reverse omoplata takes just a few seconds to enter and finish if done properly. Do not use its name is vain.

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    The reverse omoplata takes just a few seconds to enter and finish if done properly. Do not use its name is vain.

Sure. Enter a judo tournament and report back how it went.

Tomas

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    I'd consider omoplata basic too. You don't see it in judo comp since it tages time and some wiggling to get, but I do and get it in club randori. Same with omoplata sweeps.

Tomas
    It takes less than 25 seconds to twister someone, including getting to their back. Stop making excuses.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The omopolata and romopolata are legal as long as they are sweeps and not submissions. There is unfortunately, no shoulder subs allowed in competition Judo.

One more reason for Judo guys to cross train and enter NAGA or BJJ comps.

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought
    It takes less than 25 seconds to twister someone, including getting to their back. Stop making excuses.
    Can I suck your dick?

Tomas
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/04/2006 2:15pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 4:47pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The romoplata is something else entirely.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast