Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2006 11:16pm

Style: Taekwondo, Boxing (?)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Amateur Boxing?

I heard that amateur boxing is "too soft". Is that true? I always thought even the amateurs were hardcore full contact ****.

These people also say amateur boxing isn't too useful for self defense. I'm not trying to stir up controversy. I'm just asking because I got curious over my friend's comments. True or false?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:05am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon
    I heard that amateur boxing is "too soft". Is that true? I always thought even the amateurs were hardcore full contact ****.

These people also say amateur boxing isn't too useful for self defense. I'm not trying to stir up controversy. I'm just asking because I got curious over my friend's comments. True or false?
    They usually wear head-gear.

Boxing is very good forself defense in my mind. Most fights involve punching, so it's always good to train in something that deals heavily with punching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:08am

Style: Boxing, Cop Den Do, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    amateur boxing is still boxing end of story.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:11am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Olympic rules scores any punches to the trunk or head that land with the white (front) of the glove. This can lead to Olympic Boxing resembling a high-speed game of tag or slap-fu.

Knockouts are still an automatic win, regardless of score, so it remains full-contact.

AAU, and Golden gloves score bouts more or less exactly the same way pros do, they simply use larger, more padded gloves and add headgear. (and in some cases, shorter rounds)

US Boxing sacntions amateur bouts under both AAU and Olympic Rules, so it depends on the particular match.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taekwon

In Europe (well, at least, in Spain), most official Amateur boxing matches are sanctioned under Olympic ruleset. That makes amateur boxing too soft for oldschool hardcore boxing fanatics.

In times, amateur boxing was a slugfest, more brutal even than pro, sometimes.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 1:45am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    over here amateur is the same scoring system as pro and yes, sometimes you see some fucking brutal ****. its pretty bad when a guy realises as the bell goes that he hasnt got it and goes down in a hail of fists.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Amateur Boxing

The Amateur boxing in Canada is much the same as in the U.S. . Headgear is worn and the gloves are bigger, with the white areas for scoring as Scrapper mentioned. Olympic rules are the standard.
    With smaller kids, or inexperienced boxers, it can be very slap and tickle. But when you get a couple of guys who have had a few fights and want to step into each other a bit, it can be pretty good.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Janggoon's troll-fu is getting better with every iteration.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 1:57pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    most of the amateur boxing matches I've been to haven't involved a lot of boxing skill, and have just been slugfests of wild haymakers.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 2:50pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then those fighters were new and didn't know how to control their tempers/egos. It's a mistake nearly everyone makes.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast