Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xiangfei's comment about the Michellin man smacking one of the clients with a giant vinyl fist made me giggle.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 2:31am

Style: HKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fortunately for this kind of discussion, people have done (many) outcome-based empirical analyses of self-defense situations. About six years ago, I did a review paper on them. Some notables:

Most rapes are committed by acquaintances (so there goes that helpful "don't get into cars with strangers advice - not that it's bad advice, but it's not your primary threat)

Positive correlates with avoiding rape:

Yelling/making noise (yes, it does help)
    Fighting back physically
    Running
    Fearing rape more than death

Negative correlates with avoiding rape:

Pleading
    Negotiation
    Claiming disease

(All the rape outcome correlates are relative to "doing nothing at all")

Positive correlate with avoiding injury in any self-defense situation:

Fighting back as an initial response

Given that the typical rape scenario is an attack by an acquaintance, getting women into the mindset of being able to get ramped up, yell and smack someone isn't a bad basic toolbox for self defense -- because the biggest barrier they have to overcome is hitting and yelling at someone they know.

Based on the research I've seen, the fundamental change needed for a lot of self defense training is convincing the person that they have a right to their own body and safety. There's a lot of cultural training to overcome there.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9. Understand that you are more likely to be robbed by a stranger and raped by an aquantance.

10. Understand that under no circumstances are you ever to go anywhere with an attacker.

Quote Originally Posted by sanguine
    Based on the research I've seen, the fundamental change needed for a lot of self defense training is convincing the person that they have a right to their own body and safety. There's a lot of cultural training to overcome there.
    The other change, as suggested above, is to understand that "stranger danger" is highly overstated. I blame media portrayals of violence for this. The fact is you are far more likely to be attacked by someone you know than by someone you don't know.

Xiang,

BTW - sorry if I came down to harsh. Quite frankly I was suffering through a cold and probably shouldn't have been posting. My issue is that you seem to feel that the weighting of these courses are wrong without knowing what the weighting is.

All of the good self defense courses I've seen take place over a number of weeks and include a major physical defense section with an escalating level of contact. Personally, I've never met a reputable self defense instructor who claimed that they can prepared you to defend yourself in a single seminar.

That said, clearly you've had your own situations. I really can't comment on that. I can comment on the courses that I've reviewed that were put together by people who surveyed countless encounters and police reports and have worked with experts to put together the most comprehensive programs they can.

As far as the Wing Chun comment, that wasn't directed at WC but most (if not all) Martial Arts programs. Martial arts =/= Self defense. Two similiar but very different things. Can martial arts training help one in a self defense situation? Yes. But learning martial arts is not necessarily (and often not even close) to learning tactical self defense.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiangfei
    I'd still have to have more emphasis on the physical, even if it wasn't physical punching/kicking. Defence against grabs, simple kick to the knee, .
    Nothing "simple" about a kick to the knee- bloody hard to entrain unless you go for no-contact crap. Grabs??? no offense but you're describing what to me is the worst (and most common) type of so-called SD training -that which underemphasises the awareness, avoidance, verbel and instead concerntrates on ill-considered and poorly entrain "magic moves". Such courses would greatly benefit from the Michelin man type exercises IMO.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcatcher
    Nothing "simple" about a kick to the knee- bloody hard to entrain unless you go for no-contact crap. Grabs??? no offense but you're describing what to me is the worst (and most common) type of so-called SD training -that which underemphasises the awareness, avoidance, verbel and instead concerntrates on ill-considered and poorly entrain "magic moves". Such courses would greatly benefit from the Michelin man type exercises IMO.
    Again I say, what he said.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2006 2:25pm

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alot of places would benefit from a good game of stop the "Michelin man" .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234