Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 2:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never had the offer to spar a total martial arts loser even though there are a shitload at my school, the only explanations I can find for this are bad luck and my being freakishly tall.

Sadly, this was with a friend of mine, too on the nerdy side, but we got along training with each other (conditioning). TKD Black belt and competitor (not of Olympic caliber, but much of his school was I believe), but a smaller guy, maybe 150 tops, with me closer to 220, obviously not even match. I had been doing BJJ maybe 3 months. Now this guy is athletic as all hell, but all he can do is kick (faster than I can punch). Anyway, another friend and I are rolling and he's in the campus matroom with us messing around and I convince him to spar with me. We have no gloves, mouthpieces or cups or anything, but I say go full on buddy. I refused to punch, so it took awhile, but I checked a kick, clinched, crappy suplex=>side-mount, mount, armbar. I felt bad about it and still haven't really convinced the guy to fight for real. After that night he literally retreated to his room and got addicted to video games; we haven't seen him at archery or MA since. We'll see.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camus
    I've never had the offer to spar a total martial arts loser even though there are a shitload at my school, the only explanations I can find for this are bad luck and my being freakishly tall.

Sadly, this was with a friend of mine, too on the nerdy side, but we got along training with each other (conditioning). TKD Black belt and competitor (not of Olympic caliber, but much of his school was I believe), but a smaller guy, maybe 150 tops, with me closer to 220, obviously not even match. I had been doing BJJ maybe 3 months. Now this guy is athletic as all hell, but all he can do is kick (faster than I can punch). Anyway, another friend and I are rolling and he's in the campus matroom with us messing around and I convince him to spar with me. We have no gloves, mouthpieces or cups or anything, but I say go full on buddy. I refused to punch, so it took awhile, but I checked a kick, clinched, crappy suplex=>side-mount, mount, armbar. I felt bad about it and still haven't really convinced the guy to fight for real. After that night he literally retreated to his room and got addicted to video games; we haven't seen him at archery or MA since. We'll see.
    Your friend souldn't be so crushed.
    A similar thing happened to me when I was "discussing" martial arts with a judoka at my school. At least I landed a few good kicks before he got me off my feet though, and the experience taught me one of my first really valuable lessons of martial arts. To be truly great, a person has to study as many different styles as possible.
    I hope your friend gets over it the same way I did.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 3:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Your friend souldn't be so crushed.
    A similar thing happened to me when I was "discussing" martial arts with a judoka at my school. At least I landed a few good kicks before he got me off my feet though, and the experience taught me one of my first really valuable lessons of martial arts. To be truly great, a person has to study as many different styles as possible.
    I hope your friend gets over it the same way I did.
    My profile is incorrect, I've been doing BJJ for 11 months now, making this at least 8 months ago and he's still in his room. I'm not kidding. The smell is overwhelming. The worst thing is that he doens't even play good games, just some crappy, free MMO with butt-awful graphics b/c he refuses to pay monthly fees even though he plays games 6+ hours a day.

A lost soul indeed

He does get respect amongst our school's huge shotokan crowd seeing as how he can lay down the hurt on any of them in 'sparring', but his heart isn't in it and he knows he wasting his talent.

hahaha

And people thought bullshido was about HELPING people. Hell no

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparred with a "gangsta" once, guy was real tough with a weapon and the element of surprise. I armbarred him, he cried, in front of his friends, the end.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a reply to Camus.
    I know that smell very well.
    There was this one kid at our school who carried it around with him like it was some kind of cheap cologne. His name was Joe Dunn, and he told me that he was in some style of Karate (maybe Shotokan?).
    This kid was the most annoying little freak to ever walk on two legs.
    Senior year of high school, the district popped to send our entire graduating year to Six Flags due to excellent test scores. Dunn followed me and my friends around despite our constant reasurance that we did not need or want his company. Finally, I got sick of him and challenged him to a "friendly" sparring match.
    We had been walking down a flight of steps at the time, so he drops into some sort of off balance back stance, much to my delight.
    All I had to do was plant my size 13s on his knee and apply pressure untill he lost his balance. I held him there for a few minuites while he tried to pull his leg out from under me, untill I finally told him that me and the boys would be spending the rest of the day without him.
    Later, I payed some kid in the parking lot to hit him with a plastic sword untill he got pissed of and chased him away. The kid came back and kept hitting him without me having to pay him again.
    This is my favorite "senior memory".

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 4:35pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lived in Korea for a number of years and tcross-trained seferal different systems while I had the opportunity. Before going to Korea I had a fair amount of training in kickboxing, escrima and Taekwondo, and a little BJJ.
    I started my training in Korea with TKD ( when in Rome right) later I also cross-trained at a Muay Thai school.

One night this 18 yr old Hapkido guy come into the TKD school to work on his kicking techniques. During sparring I notice he is kicking his opponents legs a lot (not allowed in TKD) and is basically pushing around a lot of the older BB with his techniques. Finally it's my turn to spar with him, of course he starts kicking my legs. I back off for a second and look at the instructor," hey he's kicking my legs, is it ok to kick the legs?" My instructor not really paying attention to us or my question just goes "yeah, yeah ok". I start sparring again, as soon as I get into range I switch my legs and Thai kick the HKD guy right on the nerve in his inner left thigh (lucky shot). He took one step and crumpled to the ground.

Of course I was critcized after class for doing this, and the instructor admitted he had not been paying attention when I asked about kicking the legs. I even apologized to the kid and explained the technique and why it worked the way it did, but after that night he never came back.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More fun in Korea!

After having my fill of TKD and getting certified to 2nd degree at Kukkiwon. I decided to take up Judo. Of course what was mainly taught was Olympic Judo with some basic groundwork such as pins. I never knew how valuable my 3 months of BJJ would become.

Anytime we sparred I generally got my ass kicked, I was much older than most of the other students and not nearly as flexible or fast. But one night instead of standard Olympic sparring the instructor decided to do ground sparring (grappling) the object being to pin or submit your opponent. I submitted every black belt in the place with either a gi choke from the guard or an armbar. One particular student who was quite good on his feet got pulled into my guard with my hands deep in his collar. His assumption was that since he was on top he was in the winning position. He looked me right in the face and said, "Ha ha" I responded in like,"Ha Ha" and then choked him out.

After that anytime a BB visited from another club the instructor would have him ground spar with me just so he could embarrass them.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I sparred with Akido-Boy

Ok, I'll bite too. I always wanted to mention this thing that happened to me, but I never found an appropriate thread to write about it.

This occurred, I think, back in 1992. I was working at a Home Depot in Florida, and one of my co-workers was (supposedly) l34thal in (gasp!) Aikido. Now, remember the times - this was just after Seagal's "Under Siege" hit the big screen. So everybody punk out there was like, "oh ****, Aikido!", specially the dude I sparred with. This dude took it to the extreme in his Aikido-Seagal-juice-sucking. He had long hair, with a pony-tail a-la-Siegal, and on halloween, he would come to work in his Aikidogi on, hakama and all, and to top it off, wearing a katana.. at work... for halloween... you get the picture. :icon_joke

To add further embarrassment, he is Nicaraguan, like me. :new_puppy

Ok, just to make the story short, the dude was strong, no doubt, stronger than I was, and he always claimed he had hands well conditioned for striking and **** like that. :ninjadanc

The problem started when I was chatting in the breakroom with other guys who were going to the same comm. college I was going. I was taking a shotokan class as part of my PE requirements and I was telling the guys about it. Then Aikido-boy heard the conversation, and every since he would be pushing me and teasing me into some sort of sparring match. :boxing:

I had no intention of doing so because I was there to work, not to engage into a samurai role-play ****, and to be honest, cuz I was intimidated by Aikido-boy. :confused1

Anyways, **** ended up hitting the fan one time when he not only shoved me in the breakroom, but also tried to touch my face, and at that moment, I though "what the ****". So I shoved him back. That became a shoving match (with the fucker smiling contemptously), and at that moment he grabbed me and did a hip-throw on me (something resembling a uki-goushi). Up until that moment, this fucker was smiling, even as he was throwing me to the floor... AT WORK!!!! :5dunce:

He totally caught me by surprise. Up and until that point, I never expected any sane person would do such a thing at a workplace. He could have injured me against the hard floor, at worst, and get us both fired at the very least. Anyways, he was already lifting me for the throw, and the only thing I could think of was to hold onto him in anyway possible. Lucky for me, I was able to grab one of his arm with one hand, and hold his shoulder with the other.

So basically, we both went to the floor. At that point, his smile just vaporized. Somehow, don't ask me how, I was able to flip him (maybe cuz I latched onto him for dear life while he was doing the hip throw). He landed more or less hard on his back, while I landed on top of him. The problem was that I also landed on my right elbow, and that **** really numbed my arm, but I was able to mount him, right on his chest.

After mounting him, I decided to get up because it was never my intention to fight or sparr at work, plus my arm was numb at that moment. So I got up, and extended a hand for him to get up. As he was getting up, he was saying "You got me man. why did you get up? You had me mounted right there." I didn't say anything since I wasn't in the mood to talk. The sooner I could put that stupid incident, the better. The last thing I wanted was to lose my job in proving some point with this loser. :angry5:

Anyways, after that, he never shoved me around. So in a way it was a good outcome, but he could have gotten me fired or had my elbow fucked up.

From that point, I learned that people could talk a lot of **** about their skills and still a being hakama-wearing-fairy Steven-Seagal-wannabe. He claimed to be doing Aikido for 5 years already, thus I would have expected him at the least for him to expect that I would grab him the way I did when he decided to hip-throw me. :viking:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last but not least,

When I started to train Judo I was also training at a Kumdo (Kendo) school around the corner. I would go to Kumdo for about and 1.5 hours and then immediately afterwards run over to the Judo school for another 1.5 training session.

One night they decided to do sparring, instead of full gear they simply used foam swords with gloves and helmets. Also in Korean Kumdo ( Haedong Kumdo ) they do a lot of sparring with a single one handed short sword as opposed to the longer two handed Katana style sword. I thought great this is almost exactly like escrima. I had told the instructors that in the past I had studied escrima so it should have been no surprise that I could weild this shorter weapon easily.

Anyway I was to spar one of the senior instructors. We sparred for about 5-7 minutes and it was quite a good match, but in the final couple of minutes I really started to pick up on his movement and was beginning to land a lot more shots then he was. Finally he backed off and said,"next point wins" He sprung in and connected with my head and declared himself the winner. I will admit that I was beaten. But none of the adult BB would ever spar me again if their were any other junior students around.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 5:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    elnyka,

I know exactly what your talking about. I used to do it to judo guys all the time. You lock down their arm that is around your back and you ball yourself up. When they throw you, since you have their arm locked, the momentum carries them over you and you end up on top generally in a side position. Great freaking counter and most guys never expect it.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast