223522 Bullies, 4336 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: So do you agree with JFS statement about Royce being able to do nothing to him?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I agree with him. He is just that damn good.

9 12.33%
  • No, he is speaking bullshido.

64 87.67%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I may have misremembered, but I thought the reason he withdrew was 'injuries' (received mostly from Kimo) rather than 'exhaustion'.
    Maybe Royce was full of **** when he said he was just too tired to fight another match and that was the reason his corner wouldn't let him continue, I dunno. Having blood on your face doesn't necessarily indicate injury.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I better make the caveat that I could be misremebering this. As I said I'm recalling a DVD I watched last summer. But IIRC, the announcement from the Gracie camp was about 'injury' not 'exhaustion'. Maybe somebody has a link to the fight somewhere on the 'net ?
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 5:32pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimo did in fact 'hurt' him. Not intentially, he was a somewhat typical roided up MMA type guy (you know the kinds that focus on spazztic strength rather than technique). After his wad was blown, an injured Royce held out and armbarred him. He did something to his shoulder. I think it was dislocated at the end of the fight, it had been giving him problems and they called the fight when he came down the ring again.
    Do you actually think Royce (a BJJ BB....no wait....an amazing BJJ BB) would be scared to fight Harold Howard?

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the time, I don't think there was a 'typical MMA guy'. In the vid I saw Kimo just looked like a big strong aggressive hardass with no particular style who liked to keep things standing.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 6:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Sparring is for friends and partners. JFS is niether.

I actually voted "no" on the poll. However, thats a criticism of Anthony's writing, NOT a vindication of JFS. Don't get the two confused. Look at this poll. 87% of the people think that JFS is full of ****.

*baaawk.....bak bak bak bak ...baawwwwk!* (<---the best I could do at typing chicken noises. :wave:)
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 6:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Well, I hate Royce about as much as anyone and consider him to be a coward for more or less retiring once the competition rose to his level, but the question you're posing is:

Can Royce Gracie defeat a stronger, heavier kung fu master with no knowledge of grappling?

I'll make this easy for you. Yes.
    No. That's not the question. That's the question of the poll but that's not what I was talking about. I put the question the other way, "Does JFS have any chance at all of beating someone like Royce Gracie?". And more than that I am talking about people's response to that question. Giving a straight "no" is fair enough but throwing a hissy fit like a little girl and stamping your feet and screaming that everything about you and all that you represent is clearly complete and utter bullshit because you think you could even have a chance....." is what people are doing.

I didn't even vote that "Royce could do nothing to him."

I've said about a half dozen times now that Royce is a HUGE favorite, not just because people like him but that I'd give him at least 10:1 odds. But there's nothing insane about the other guy having a chance. Look again at all the trouble somelike like Kimo gave him before Kimo even had any real training.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 7:13pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    *baaawk.....bak bak bak bak ...baawwwwk!* (<---the best I could do at typing chicken noises. :wave:)
    Why haven't you voted Omar?

I want to see your hypocrisy on my LCD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 7:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't vote because it's a silly poll. It's just trying to take some of the heat off the other threads. Cluthing at straws as far as I am concerned. I also am stubborn about accepting "Bullshido" as an actual word in the english language. I'd be much more inclined to vote, "No. He's full of ****."

No hypocrcy here though. I'll vote in a sec.

edit:

There I voted. There was no, "JFS just likes to talk big but I'd give him a fighting chance anyways." option so I voted for the "BS" choice.

Relevance?
    Last edited by Omar; 2/04/2006 7:44pm at .

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2006 8:00pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    I didn't vote because it's a silly poll. It's just trying to take some of the heat off the other threads. Cluthing at straws as far as I am concerned. I also am stubborn about accepting "Bullshido" as an actual word in the english language. I'd be much more inclined to vote, "No. He's full of ****."

No hypocrcy here though. I'll vote in a sec.

edit:

There I voted. There was no, "JFS just likes to talk big but I'd give him a fighting chance anyways." option so I voted for the "BS" choice.

Relevance?
    Thank you. It was cut and dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    2/05/2006 12:06am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Maybe Royce was full of **** when he said he was just too tired to fight another match and that was the reason his corner wouldn't let him continue, I dunno. Having blood on your face doesn't necessarily indicate injury.
    I saw the fight. I'm sure he was exhausted. He was also hammered repeatedly by a big, crazy man. IIRC, Helio actually got up and screamed at Kimo's camp at some point after the bout. I'm sure Royce was "officially" exhausted, but I don't see Helio going apeshit because somebody made Royce tired. Ultimately, I couldn't tell you, but Royce has dealt with big guys for longer who didn't tire him as much.

Incidentally, this is irrelevant to the point of this thread. It's just an amusing diversion. My answer would be that if JFS could go back in time, take GJJ-only Royce and make him fight using the current rules set, JFS might be able to GNP him. Royce won a lot of bouts against strikers who didn't train to keep a stable base back then, and a lot of them went past what we'd see allowed as ground time now. This isn't magic TMA "base"; MMAers don't hop around as much as the full contact strikers who got owned in early GJJ in Action and UFC bouts, either. I can see how JFS would look at bouncy-ass kickboxers getting toppled and think he could do better.

But beating a more mature Royce, or one with time to work on the ground? It's an exceptional claim and requires exceptional proof.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast