Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that BJJ tourneys are much more open to slower and more strategy on the ground, this is good but the type of fight is different. No biggie, its fun to do both, get as much gayrapple on as possible.
    Agreed...I like no-gi wrestling starting standing, going to submission myself...all tournament grappling seems to be focused more on points than submission, Judo isn't unique in that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 1:04pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is it really effective.

I am not a BJJ guy so I am curious how well "Guard jumping" works compaired to takedowns/throws. Could you explain the advantage of guard jumping in a tourniment, on the street.

Thanks

PT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 3:33pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Planktime
    I am not a BJJ guy so I am curious how well "Guard jumping" works compaired to takedowns/throws. Could you explain the advantage of guard jumping in a tourniment, on the street.

Thanks

PT
    The advantage of jumping guard in a tournament or regular sparring is mostly that a lot of us just like to play and attack from there. Also, you may decide that it's simply a good idea strategically against a particular opponent--one that's much quicker or has clearly better throws & takedowns, etc. Better to have guard right away than to get thrown and passed or let someone run to your back. If you can get the fight to the guard with legal technique, there's no good reason you should be penalized IMO.

On the street = probably not a good idea.

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 4:08pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Pride 7 Bas made fun of BJJ because Larry Parker kept jumping guard on Akira Shoji: "BJJ is the ultimate street defense? Pssh . . . PULL GUARD!" Or something like that.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 4:34pm

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    The advantage of jumping guard in a tournament or regular sparring is mostly that a lot of us just like to play and attack from there. Also, you may decide that it's simply a good idea strategically against a particular opponent--one that's much quicker or has clearly better throws & takedowns, etc. Better to have guard right away than to get thrown and passed or let someone run to your back. If you can get the fight to the guard with legal technique, there's no good reason you should be penalized IMO.

On the street = probably not a good idea.

Thanks for the info on guard jumping G8. It makes sense that it would be a good strategy against somone who is better at takedowns/throwing. As for being penalized in a Judo tourny for it, it kind of flys in the face of sport judo (throwing then ground work if you dont get an Ippon) from what I have read lately on the subject. It is kinda like skipping the main focus for the up tight judoka and going to ground work. I personally dont care since we do plenty of ground work at my dojo.

Thanks again
    PT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2006 2:05am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pulling guard is not a universal BJJ strategy.

My instructor has said many times, he would never recommend anyone go to the bottom on purpose.

Relevance to this thread... very little.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123