Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enech
    Further. I am going from MY experience. In CQB if someone tries to grab you. You stop them. It is not a martial art. If it is close obviously I would not sidestep or parry. However I would also not try to put a fecking hold on them either.
    So what do you advoacte then, flailing wildly?

I am responding from MY experience. I am not about to go "spar" with some one to prove my method over theirs either.
    Nice way to sheild your preconceptions from scrutiny and introspection.

A lot of this discussion is about what to do about people who don't know what they're doing, and thus (for me) boring and useless.
    I'd rather be able to deal with skilled people, then I don't have to rely on last ditch efforts in dealing with drunks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:46pm

Style: CQB/CQC Todd Lineage.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Exactly. You didn't sidestep adouble leg. They're also not similar because of posture, impact penetrations steps and other "little" things.

As for the eyegouge. When are you going to do it? When you're in the air about to get slammed?

And their trying to close the distance. Hopefully in fantasy land you can maintain that distance and keep them out of even kicking range.

If you say so. When they close they are more likely to get a kick to the leading knee.

You and I are likely to disagree on this, and unlikely to meet up to see who was right so lets drop it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what do you advoacte then, flailing wildly?

Nice way to sheild your preconceptions from scrutiny and introspection.

A lot of this discussion is about what to do about people who don't know what they're doing, and thus (for me) boring and useless.
    I'd rather be able to deal with skilled people, then I don't have to rely on last ditch efforts in dealing with drunks.
    I would rather deal with real life situations myself.

I do study "arts" but I am not likely to be carrying my longsword around, or able to use some Bata in real life.

It is different perceptions.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh dear you're not Irish are you? Ca bhfuil tu ina gconai?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    Oh dear you're not Irish are you? Ca bhfuil tu ina gconai?

Actually I am a Kiwi with a lot of Gaelic Blood. I am a re-enactor (hence the longsword (non DND) reference), I also like some of the western arts like Bata :)

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    sprawl and guillotine.

Edit: If fail, guard.
    As a certified noob when it comes to technical ground fighting I second this ... only becouse it has worked for me a couple times .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would rather deal with real life situations myself.
    LIke assuming your attacker doesn't know what they're doing?

I do study "arts" but I am not likely to be carrying my longsword around, or able to use some Bata in real life.
    I'm not a martial artist. I'm a hobbyist who spends a lot of time with actual fighters.

It is different perceptions.
    Different assumptions, and not all opinions are equally valid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I am a Kiwi with a lot of Gaelic Blood. I am a re-enactor (hence the longsword (non DND) reference), I also like some of the western arts like Bata :)

Oh and a few years Military Unarmed combat (aka CQB/CQB) experience. I've dabbled in other martial arts but was not a fan of any of them (likely more due to the wankers in the classes than anything else)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LIke assuming your attacker doesn't know what they're doing?

I'm not a martial artist. I'm a hobbyist who spends a lot of time with actual fighters.

Different assumptions, and not all opinions are equally valid.

You really are not going to drop it are you?

Ok one is MORE likely to deal with come twit who does not know what they ar e doing 95% of the time. Further how much do you know about CQB?? NONE of it is flailing away, it is about deliberate controlled, an forceful solutions to the situation. There are very few "degrees" of force in it.

I am a working professional who does not have the time to hang around a lot of classes, further if I found a decent CQB like class around I would take the time to do that. BJJ has never interested me, it is just my tastes.

ALL opinions are equally valid, otherwise one has a closed mind, and little to live for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:21pm

Style: BJJ, TKD, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As requested by Dreadnaught:

Ok so here goes. We are all having a ball here, but Lets take the example of the double leg take down. Shown is an elbow to the back. It MIGHT work, but in my experience it is not that effective.

SO how would you deal with it?

My answers is as follows.

(a) try to side step the attack, and control the head of the attaker. Swift axe kick to the back of the knee and stomp them a few times.
    (b) That fails and they get you on your back. I'd start by "distracting them" with a thumb in or near the eyes (unless they are on drugs that generally stops people from doing what they are doin). Roll them off and get to your feet fast, some form of finishing (a stomp, a kick, or a run like hell).
    (c) I might also try a choke if my arms were free (not my favourite idea but if all else fails try something else).

I'm more experienced at getting out of the way or eye gouging (yeah it's not nice but neither is being attacked).

I am NOT a fan of pressure points as they don't work very well all the time!

Ok this is likely to be slammed, but hey I can cope with a cyber slam.
    I dont think you realize this, but people are toying with you because you know jack **** about grappling.

Please shut the **** up, and learn to grapple.

eye gouging and sidestepping down work against a shot (unfortunately you dont even know what a shot is, You should watch the first 5 UFC's, or hell, go to the local high school wrestling team)

The correct answer is "Sprawl" Followed by "crossface"and "whizzer".

Then maybe add in "Gillotine" "Pull guard" Or if you want to get fancy shamcy (and I personally do) You can toss in a "falling kimurra throw"

I spelled some of that **** wrong.

You need to stop starting threads and get your ass to real training. Military unarmed combat (unless it's of the recent BJJ inspired type) makes baby Jesus cry.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast