Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:25pm

Style: CQB/CQC Todd Lineage.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    a couple of things

if the guy already has his arms around your legs, the most basic response would be to simply sprawl. it is certianly going to be difficult to strike as you are being taken down.

if the guy has not yet wraped his arms around your legs, then yes it is concievable you could strike, but you are going to have to drop down at the same time to actually reach the persons body if you are punching. you could try kicking, but its really hard to do. If you miss you are screwed, you only have one leg up.

you can try sidesteping or moving backwards but it doesnt work that well. try it with a friend, you will see what i mean. the guy attempting the double leg can adjust while in motion pretty easily, plus your arms can cover a wide distance.

the best way to counter a grappler is to at the very least learn the basics of grappling. plus the added benefit is that you can learn how to preform the same attacks competantly, as well as learn the defenses.

I disagree on the sidestep, it is a timing thing (they have to have comitted and you have to be concentraiting).

I agree with most of the rest, though I always prefer to try and keep my feet. But I guess there is the "ahh ****" moment when you are ambushed/.screw up and have no other choice.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:25pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd ensure that my photos were better staged, and look cool by moaning "keep your hands up!" at all kinds of dumbassed pictures without benefit of any contextual clues.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samfoo
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Either way this thread boils down to "HOW DO DEFEND SHOOT!!!111" and should be moved somewhere else.

Besides, everyone knows Sumi-gaeshi is the only way to defeat the invincible double-leg.
    I am not so sure about the moving. As we are slamming someone on technique, so some might take my answer as Bullshido, or someone elses. It is IMHO the right forum, though if the moderators want to move it sure!

I am serious. I am not a Troll (usually) and curious.

WTF???

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: BJJ LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A strong pelvic thrust to the head will knock him out, but you have to be 'ready for action', if you know what I mean!
    Mauro: Coming into the ring now is Giant Silva. 7 foot 2, 385 lbs, making his debut in Pride.
    Bas: Wow, that is one big guy!
    Mauro: He must have an enormous Johnson!
    Bas: Ur…I suppose.
    Mauro: What are his keys to victory here in the Pride ring tonight?
    Bas: Well I think he needs to use his reach, avoid Heaths takedowns, and try to use his size to overpower him.
    Mauro: I mean, imagine the size of that thing!
    Bas: Now Heath is coming into the ring…
    Mauro: Do women really like them that big? Doesn’t it hurt?
    Bas: I really wouldn’t know.
    Mauro: I’m starting to feel a little insecure.
    Bas: Let’s just talk about the fight.
    Mauro: You’re right, el Basito. What are Heaths keys to winning here tonight. What does he have to do? What are his strategies for emerging victorious here in the Saitama Super Arena tonight?
    Bas: Well, the first thing…
    Mauro: My wife says she doesn’t like them too big, that it’s all about how you use it.
    Bas: That’s not what she told me.

Exasperated.

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is fundamentally flawed because what was shown in that thread was not a double leg shot. It was a sorry excuse for a tackle. Against a proper shot Your back wouldn't be exposed like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Enech
    (a) try to side step the attack, and control the head of the attaker. Swift axe kick to the back of the knee and stomp them a few times.
    Please let me know if this is a joke or not before I respond.
    (b) That fails and they get you on your back. I'd start by "distracting them" with a thumb in or near the eyes (unless they are on drugs that generally stops people from doing what they are doin). Roll them off and get to your feet fast, some form of finishing (a stomp, a kick, or a run like hell).
    Again please let us know if this is a joke if you want a response.

(c) I might also try a choke if my arms were free (not my favourite idea but if all else fails try something else).
    SO the single most successful strategy of getting a submission against a shot is your last resort?
    That makes sense.

I'm more experienced at getting out of the way or eye gouging (yeah it's not nice but neither is being attacked).
    A double leg shot is executed from close range. You don't side step it. Are you still joking?
    And you have experience eye gouging? Do you have police reports to validate this? I'm sure any incidence of actual eyegouging is going to have involved injury and the police.

I am NOT a fan of pressure points as they don't work very well all the time!
    So you're only partially delusional?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay. Since you've said you are being serious I'll answer serious:
    None of what you mentioned (except maybe the choke) works.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    This thread is fundamentally flawed because what was shown in that thread was not a double leg shot. It was a sorry excuse for a tackle. Against a proper shot Your back wouldn't be exposed like that.

A double leg shot is executed from close range. You don't side step it. Are you still joking?
    And you have experience eye gouging? Do you have police reports to validate this? I'm sure any incidence of actual eyegouging is going to have involved injury and the police.

So you're only partially delusional?
    Yes I have been eye gouged. (A) I played Rugby and despite what people think it happens at the bottom of a ruck or maul. Two I bounced for 5 or so years and I've had someone try to put thumb in my eye. I took to wearing yellow lense glasses after that.

Further. I am going from MY experience. In CQB if someone tries to grab you. You stop them. It is not a martial art. If it is close obviously I would not sidestep or parry. However I would also not try to put a fecking hold on them either.

I am responding from MY experience. I am not about to go "spar" with some one to prove my method over theirs either.

Nuff said

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Okay. Since you've said you are being serious I'll answer serious:
    None of what you mentioned (except maybe the choke) works.
    Really? Ok so a thumb to the eye does not make you think twice? I've sidesteped someone trying to do a tackle on me (which is very similar to a double leg except at a distance). Further IF some one was trying to "grapple" with me I'd keep a decent reaction distance to keep options open.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enech
    Really? Ok so a thumb to the eye does not make you think twice? I've sidesteped someone trying to do a tackle on me (which is very similar to a double leg except at a distance).
    Exactly. You didn't sidestep adouble leg. They're also not similar because of posture, impact penetrations steps and other "little" things.

As for the eyegouge. When are you going to do it? When you're in the air about to get slammed?
    Further IF some one was trying to "grapple" with me I'd keep a decent reaction distance to keep options open.
    And their trying to close the distance. Hopefully in fantasy land you can maintain that distance and keep them out of even kicking range.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:42pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, to be serious:

One thing I might try that's supported by by non Judo/JJ experience is to sprawl, over/under hook and drop into side control, but after looking at a number of MMA matches I don't see over/under used much at all. This indicates to me that there's something wrong with it.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast