Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 4:35pm

Style: Kung Fu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

USA Kung Fu Academy of Hyannis

Until recently, I was the head instructor of the USA Kung Fu Academy in Hyannis Massachusetts. I say this with as much shame as I do pride. I would like this post to serve as a warning to those thinking about attending this school as well as a wake up call to those that already do. First and foremost I'll say a little bit about Sifu Eric Cruz. Let me preface this with one of my favorite Sifu Cruz quotes. "You have to stop treating the students like your friends and just try to get as much money out of them as possible." This statement is completely indicitive of his character and his place in the martial arts world. He views his students as dollar signs. I taught at this school for the better part of three years. I wanted desperatly to shelter the students from Sifu Cruz. He not only views them in terms of dollar signs, but he is a horrible teacher and a VERY questionable martial artist. He does not care about a students ability to defend themselves. While I always hated this, I tried to remedy it by making sure they learned. He bases his entire curriculum on money instead of development. I'll get into the ineffectivness of his system in another post. For now lets focus on the teacher. Sifu Eric Cruz.

1: His background is 100 percent forms based. His fighting theory has no basis in reality. He teaches elaborate "movie fighting". Merely being good at forms is not a bad thing. However he markets his skills as the end all be all of combat.

2: He tells people that blackbelt is when the real training starts yet all his blackbelts quit when they find this to be untrue. And take it from me it is a lie and a marketing ploy.

3: He claims to have been a golden gloves boxer with 25 fights to his credit. All it took was a little research on my part to find out this was a lie.

4: He tells people that he started training in 1969 when it was in fact 1981. He claims he learnned to fight while growing up in the mean streets of New York. Yet he lived there as a small boy then moved to Wareham mass. Anything to look tough.

5: He claims to be a man of high moral character yet makes sexually demeaning remarks about female students behind there backs. By his family's own admission he uses illegal drugs. A pillar of the community to be sure.

6: His insecurity leads him to foster a culture of hate when it comes to other martial arts. When I started cross training in bjj he hit the roof.

7: He makes outlandish claims to bolster his credentials. He claims he is good with a sword because he "fought with machedes in the jungle while in Puerto Rico" He says he went out and proved his kung fu worked yet did so at form tourneys.

He is the classic fake running the classic mcdojo. I did what I could to make it as legit as possible. I am ashamed I was even a part of it. I encourage anyone thinking about joining to do the research or contact me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 4:36pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Just wow. Welcome to Bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stopped in to watch a class at the USA Kung Fu Acadamy in Falmouth several years ago (same affiliation, next town over from the one he's talking about), and it was the worst kind of McDojo. Flowery forms that were bad even by forms standards, and the sparring was craptastic. The school was horrible, and i felt bad for everyone training there.

Congrats on getting out of there. Good job shedding some light on that place.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:30pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbauer
    Until recently, I was the head instructor of the USA Kung Fu Academy in Hyannis Massachusetts. I say this with as much shame as I do pride. I would like this post to serve as a warning to those thinking about attending this school as well as a wake up call to those that already do. First and foremost I'll say a little bit about Sifu Eric Cruz. Let me preface this with one of my favorite Sifu Cruz quotes. "You have to stop treating the students like your friends and just try to get as much money out of them as possible." This statement is completely indicitive of his character and his place in the martial arts world. He views his students as dollar signs. I taught at this school for the better part of three years. I wanted desperatly to shelter the students from Sifu Cruz. He not only views them in terms of dollar signs, but he is a horrible teacher and a VERY questionable martial artist. He does not care about a students ability to defend themselves. While I always hated this, I tried to remedy it by making sure they learned. He bases his entire curriculum on money instead of development. I'll get into the ineffectivness of his system in another post. For now lets focus on the teacher. Sifu Eric Cruz.

1: His background is 100 percent forms based. His fighting theory has no basis in reality. He teaches elaborate "movie fighting". Merely being good at forms is not a bad thing. However he markets his skills as the end all be all of combat.

2: He tells people that blackbelt is when the real training starts yet all his blackbelts quit when they find this to be untrue. And take it from me it is a lie and a marketing ploy.

3: He claims to have been a golden gloves boxer with 25 fights to his credit. All it took was a little research on my part to find out this was a lie.

4: He tells people that he started training in 1969 when it was in fact 1981. He claims he learnned to fight while growing up in the mean streets of New York. Yet he lived there as a small boy then moved to Wareham mass. Anything to look tough.

5: He claims to be a man of high moral character yet makes sexually demeaning remarks about female students behind there backs. By his family's own admission he uses illegal drugs. A pillar of the community to be sure.

6: His insecurity leads him to foster a culture of hate when it comes to other martial arts. When I started cross training in bjj he hit the roof.

7: He makes outlandish claims to bolster his credentials. He claims he is good with a sword because he "fought with machedes in the jungle while in Puerto Rico" He says he went out and proved his kung fu worked yet did so at form tourneys.

He is the classic fake running the classic mcdojo. I did what I could to make it as legit as possible. I am ashamed I was even a part of it. I encourage anyone thinking about joining to do the research or contact me.
    Good expose. You rule man. High five!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a genuine bond with the students there and it sickens me that they are now under him. He has no patience and has a serious god complex. He is vulgar even in front of children. I wish I had a school to rescue them all. Some have left to take bjj with me. Hopefully others will follow soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2006 1:29am

Style: Unemployed Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to think about starting your own school even if you can only afford to hold classes in your own garage & backyard.Some of the best training I have ever had was held at my teachers' houses.

Sexe dans la derrière!

Posted On:
    2/05/2006 4:21am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai Khmer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Checked out the website: http://www.usakungfuacademy.com/web04/sifu.htm
    Right outa rex-kwon-do.
    Good that you got out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2006 5:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've thought about that. In the mean time I have quite a few students taking bjj classes at the place I go. But I'd love to have my students leave that fake and train with me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 1:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the week since I left I have recieved many phone calls telling me how the school "is not the same." Hopefully it's only a matter of time before there is a mass exodus.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/06/2006 2:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow.

That's fucking awesome.

Sorry to hear about the school though.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast