Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 6:57pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by In Flames
    If I remember correctly there is evidence for Lubu existing, but Diao Chan was just a fictional character to make the story more interesting... maybe the achille comparison is quite good.

Bah I checked the Internet and there are quite a few sources that agree with you. It is strange that they include her as one of the four great beauties of China (I can't rem the other three). Why would they include her? Lame propaganda?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 7:00pm

Style: Judo, Iaido and jodo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The background is definately true.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 7:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Rooster
    ROTK is like the bible. Even if any of its true, its so blown out of proportion that no one can believe it. In chapter 5 or 6 in ROTK, it talks about a storm from the sky carrying horsemen and warriors that came down and destroyed the enemy army because the Gods willed them to lose. It could be analogy for the stronger army destroying the weaker one easily, but the event described couldn't have happened ( unless the God's did send down an army of cloud warriors to destroy the unworthy uprising.)

Hmmm I dont have my copies with me but I dont recall that portion in my translation. It could be artistic license on the part of the translator (in either of our cases).

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 7:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know from reading the book that Liu Bei is the good guy and Cao Cao is the bad guy. In real life it proabably isn't true. They almost ignored Wu's accomplishments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    You know from reading the book that Liu Bei is the good guy and Cao Cao is the bad guy. In real life it proabably isn't true. They almost ignored Wu's accomplishments.

Cao Cao was a very good leader and I think they portray him as that. His writings on strategy are still spoken of with high regard. I believe he wrote something named to the effect of the "Thirteen Chapters" though my memory fails me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 7:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know absolutely nothing about that guy, but I'm pretty impressed by that "he killed 60 men in one battle" part. I know its probably exagerated but even if he killed like 10 it's still huge, it was not like now where you can push a button or a triger and kill 10 guys, there where no grenades or anything like that, it was you and your blade.

I'm not sure but the average soldier would kill 1 guy before he died right ? I can only imagine it would be pretty easy in the middle of the confusion someone stabing you from behind, or an arrow or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe back in those days there were few professional soldiers in the military. Therefore when you pit a trained nobleman warrior against a bunch of peasants with weapons, deaths will mount pretty quickly. Plus, Lu Bu had Red Hare, the legendary horse. A mounted well-trained, well armed/armored, physically massive noblemen with a reputation for destroying anyone who crosses his path will break a line for sure (especially when accompanied by elite cavalrly). Once the line breaks and people begin to flee, killing is semantic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 9:06pm

Style: Judo n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, we know of Lu Bu almost entirely through the ROTTK novel, which was written over a thousand years after the historical events.

A good parallell would be, "Did Gawain really kill 50 men at once while questing for the Lance of Longinus?"

I'd say that the ROTK novel tells us about as much about the historical Lu Bu as Mallory's L'Morte D'Artur tells us about the historical Lancelot. I don't know if Lu Bu is mentioned in earlier sources, unlike other ROTK characters who we know a fair amount about (eg I heard that some of Cao Cao's poetry has survived).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 9:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Araneta
    Honestly, we know of Lu Bu almost entirely through the ROTTK novel, which was written over a thousand years after the historical events.

A good parallell would be, "Did Gawain really kill 50 men at once while questing for the Lance of Longinus?"

I'd say that the ROTK novel tells us about as much about the historical Lu Bu as Mallory's L'Morte D'Artur tells us about the historical Lancelot. I don't know if Lu Bu is mentioned in earlier sources, unlike other ROTK characters who we know a fair amount about (eg I heard that some of Cao Cao's poetry has survived).
    You bring up another interesting parallel. Lancelot = Lu Bu. Fell for another man's woman. Was an invincible fighter. Died in shame in the end.

It is sad that the Cultural Revolution had to occur before China opened its doors. I wonder how many interesting artifacts and documents were destroyed that could have shed further light on history. *sigh*

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 10:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Life was so nice before HwangJangLee started posting again...
    what did i do wrong in this thread bitch. :f-off: this thread is worthless and you know it. stop being a post whore. bleeh other wise i will have to argue with you over the internet more. or maby we can meet in a CHATROOM, how bout that.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456