Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:19pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's strange how sometimes you can take a well placed strike to the groin and barely flinch yet at other times you can barely graze it and it drops you like a sack of bricks.

If i was gonna go for a groin attack i'd probably go for something like the end of heian godan, grab the nuts and simply tear them right off their body. If that don't make em fall then i'd get real worried.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:47pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I read an article in a local paper today that is contrary to your statement:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Vancouver Province:
    Dartmouth N.S. - Two guys picked the wrong 15 year-old girl to try to rob.
    The teenager was walking on a Dartmouth street when the teens tried to yank her knapsack off her back, police said.
    The girl is skilled in Martial arts. She knocked one to the ground with a hard punch to the face, and then kicked the other one in the groin and punched him.
    Police said the teens fled. CP

I was thinking about posting it as an article, but it's really short and a web search turned up no backing sources.

Im not trying to say that groin strikes and deadly attacks never work- its a sensitive part of your body and it hurts when it gets hit. As I Choke You pointed out, its not that they dont work, but they're far from being a substitute to really knowing how to fight.

In reference to your article, you could also argue that the assailants were simply trying to rob the girl and decided to bail when the girl fought back- it also doesnt specify that the groin attack disabled her attacker, since she followed it up with a good shot to the face.

The reason I posted this was in response to those who constantly talk about the deadly groin strikes, eye gouges, and whatever else that is illegal in MMA, hence making MMA purely sportive. Groin strikes, eye gouges, and biting are techniques that I feel are useless by themselves, but can be useful when complimented with other more efficient training. Its kinda like teaching someone a RNC or a triangle choke- the move will be completely useless by itself if you've got no means to get to your opponents back or the hip position to keep him in between your legs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:50pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once had a guy try to grab my nuts......I knocked his hand away and told him not to touch me there....he went for them again....he found himself pinned against a wall while I twisted his arm up behind his back.....then two cops walked in and I had some fast explaining to do. They told me they were grateful that I didn't beat the **** out of him because they wern't in the mood for that much paperwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 12:38am

Style: ITF Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kick 'em and run!

I think if you grab them, you're supposed to twist. :)

I'd find it hard to believe that a swift kick to the groin wouldn't do the job of at least temporarily stunning a male opponent. I've seen TKD Blackbelts suffer when failing to protect their groins during tournaments; seen them stopped in their tracks when an accidental kick's landed there.

'Kick 'em and run!' is what I tell my young sons to do if they're ever accosted. Is this is now not such good advice?

Apart from lining up 100 people and testing groin kicks, I'm never going to know the percentages, but I'd be happy with personal experiences.

Also, my son asked a very good question: Is a groin kick effective on a woman?

In particular, I'd like to give my sons some effective self-defence moves.
    Last edited by wyrdR; 2/02/2006 1:08am at .

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gumby....lets forget that article happened. It's uh....yeah. what article?

In the Tao of JKD (argh! the flames!) BL's all about eye gouges and groin strikes. What a cheap bastard! There are lots of ways to incapacitate an opponent without blinding the guy or making 'im impotent! damn!
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:56am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, it might help to own the equipment and use it a while to figure out how to hurt it.

I read in Kimura's autobiography that he mastered the groin crush. He believed it was effective as a deterrent during a brawl eg. get em to loosen their grip in a headlock so you can gain control.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 2:10am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is obviously not a 100% show stopper but what is?... i've been hit in the head really hard and not knocked out, and caught what i thought were not so hard strikes that had me seeing stars... it is still a good technique for SD, but you have to have more in your toolbelt than just that... the lady cop made a tactical error she assumed it would work and did not continue to try other techniques, basically froze when her magic bullet was a dud...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 7:19am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It bothers me how a lot of emphasis - especially in 'women's self defence' - is put on groin strikes. If a guy is drunk or on drugs, he won't notice the pain even if you got a direct hit, or won't notice it enough to stop him.

Besides, teaching the strike is pointless. Teaching to grab, twist and rip is surely more effective. THAT he notices.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 7:41am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of my old JJ instructors told us to visualize squeezing all of the toothpast out of the toothpaste tube, I've passed that one on a few times.

On the drugged out issue, I had the one anecdotal encounter with a PCP induced pain resistence. The strike to his groin had little effect at the moment, but had an effect later. For me it re-inforced the realization that training how to be a complete fighter was far more important then a single point strike.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast