Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:33pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Groin attacks dont work afterall.....

After training tonight, I happened to catch a show on the science channel about body armor, and it discussed the progession of bullet proof vests.

One officer told her story of how her vest saved her life.

Her name was Marlene Loos of Suffolk Police Dept, and her assailant was Michael Collins of west Iceland. She explained the situation as she answered a call by herself. Her assailant, pretending to be deaf, slowly walked towards her and tackled her to the ground and started beating on her. After a few seconds, he tried to go for her gun. She explained that she grabbed a "sensitive area" of his body and it had absolutly NO EFFECT in her exact words. He proceeded to remove her gun and fire a shot point blank into her chest.

Fortunately, her vest saved her life and she made a 100% recovery, but I believe this is an important testemant by a police officer to the ineffectiveness of groin attacks in a life or death situation.

The show is called "Body Armor" and was aired on the science channel if it happens to come up again and anyone wants to see it.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:47pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure I saw this a while back and enjoyed it. Even if I didn't though, I'm going to have to say that if it was the Suffolk (county of Long Island) police, then it was West Islip (said ice-lip). A small technicality and a easy mistake to make if you're not from the area.

I think I may have seen this show or one featuring the same story on the history or discovery channel, seeing as how I don't get the science channel. Anyone in a similar situation I would advise checking the listings on those networks if you want to catch it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:50pm

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given that the focus of the show is on the effectiveness of body armor, I don't know that we can take the story of one female police officer as a scientific study of the effectiveness of groin attacks. There are many explanations (for example. she may have thought she grabbed a sensitive area. she may not have put enough pressure on it). I don't know about life and death but I have seen groin attacks work in street altercations.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think they're totally useless, but they're no substitute for actually knowing how to fight.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read an article in a local paper today that is contrary to your statement:

Quote Originally Posted by The Vancouver Province
    Dartmouth N.S. - Two guys picked the wrong 15 year-old girl to try to rob.
    The teenager was walking on a Dartmouth street when the teens tried to yank her knapsack off her back, police said.
    The girl is skilled in Martial arts. She knocked one to the ground with a hard punch to the face, and then kicked the other one in the groin and punched him.
    Police said the teens fled. CP
    I was thinking about posting it as an article, but it's really short and a web search turned up no backing sources.
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:59pm

Style: Kung Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, just grabbing the penis isn't a debilitating pain. Even grabbing the nuts isn't going to do much unless you squeeze hard. He may have been wearing jeans or another tough, close fitting material that would have limited the amount of grip possible, especially if he was straddling her. A groin strike would have been better. There are too many factors at play in this one instance to say that "groin strikes don't work".

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ICY headbutted the correct in the nuts.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:05pm

Style: BJJ, Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a funny news article on the effectiveness of groin jitsu.

Boy's blow costs family $15,000

By BETH WARREN
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 02/14/04

A 9-year-old boy's kick to a waiter's crotch cost his parents $15,000.

The waiter, then 26, filed a lawsuit against the boy and his parents, claiming the kick caused him great pain and that sex will never be the same, according to the suit. The waiter, who asked not to be named to spare him further embarrassment, was at the boy's upscale Buckhead home April 10, 1999, setting up for a wedding reception. He claims the homeowners left their two boys unattended to dash off to the wedding. The boy and his younger brother were running around wildly and the oldest child threatened the waiter and other catering staff from Agnes & Muriel's, a popular Midtown eatery, with a knife, the suit alleges.

The waiter claimed he stepped in and asked the boy to put the knife down and go outside to the back yard. The boy headed that way but then turned and delivered a swift kick to the waiter's left testicle.

The waiter said he developed acute epididymitis and erectile dysfunction, court records show. He missed work and mounted medical bills that topped $4,400.

The boy's parents claimed either they or their sitter were watching their children at all times and their sons were "playing in normal manner for young boys," court records show. They insisted the boy didn't kick the waiter or threaten anyone with a knife. A Fulton County jury delivered its blow to the little kicker this week
    Last edited by Firebrand; 2/01/2006 11:09pm at .

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or maybe he was one of those dudes with no junk.

I know i've kicked a couple guys to no effect which really left me puzzled.

If my gear gets GRAZED, i'm out. You can fight me, but leave my boys out of it.

So I will concede that it's not a %100 win strike. it's maybe %60 at best.
    :new_all_c

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    I read an article in a local paper today that is contrary to your statement:

I was thinking about posting it as an article, but it's really short and a web search turned up no backing sources.
    Good thing you didn't.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast