Posted On:
    2/02/2006 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    Hang on I've just notice this question from JohhnyCache
    "Why on earth, what earthly purpose, would there be for an underfed slave with brittle bones? ."

My Mestre told me they were worked to death, the imported labour from Africa took longer to die that's why they brought there. It was basic economics, how much will it cost to feed, clothe and shelter against work output versus how much it costs to get some new fresh slaves. They didn't want to feed them enough so they were strong enough for rebellion.

Once again "Why on earth, what earthly purpose, would there be for an underfed slave with brittle bones?"
    So you''ve never seen the pictures of forced labour camps during the second World war then? History is important to be passed on correctly and remembered, but if I'm wrong about what i was told in good faith I'm wrong.

And as for feeling the kick through the kick shield it's obvious to anyone who's trained Muay Thai what I meant for really feeling the power of the kick versus holding a kicking shield and some tool kicking it and being aware its been hit. I've been hit harder by people screwing up acrobatic techniques than a lot of kickboxers I trained with could ever kick.

Apologies that this is off the topic of the thread i just wanted to address the short sightedness mixed in with insults about my kicking ability
    From what I know of slavery, slaves were considered property and were quite expensive. It would probably cost less to feed them than it would to be constantly import new slaves. Besides, what would they do with all the slaves who had broken bones during the work week? It would benefit them to make sure that their property was well kept. I know that it costs less to do preventative maintenance on a lawn mower than it takes to buy a new one every few months.
    As for the WWII thing, the Nazis were trying to drive those people to extinction, not make a profit off of them. It would benefit them to drive them to the ground and leave them malnourished.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 3:44pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So will Breakdancing and you don't have to listen to Bongo drums
    I like bongo drums.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 3:58pm

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    I like bongo drums.
    Props to you I wish i could bring myself to. I like Reggae and Dancehall but not the bongo drum in isolation.

Back on the evasivenesss of Capoeira, Coyote do you prefer to throw Chapeu de Coura as a roundhouse type attack across the attackers face, after an evasive negativa drop or really boost it and bring the foot down the face taking advantage of the rubber soled shoes westerners wear to really scuff/jam into the attackers face taking some layers of skin off while they're wondering what happened?
    Last edited by Chance; 2/02/2006 4:01pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 4:01pm

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Primary lactose intolerance , drinking milk made large numer of the salves sick, base on here 65 to 70 % of the male over 21.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 4:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Props to you I wish i could bring myself to. I like Reggae and Dancehall but not the bongo drum in isolation.

Back on the evasivenesss of Capoeira, Coyote do you prefer to throw Chapeu de Coura as a roundhouse type attack across the attackers face, after an evasive negativa drop or really boost it and bring the foot down the face taking advantage of the rubber soled shoes westerners wear to really scuff/jam into the attackers face taking some layers of skin off while they're wondering what happened?
    As I have expressed previously, my job prevents me from attending as often as I would like. I am not quite up on the various terms for the attacks as of yet, as is evidenced by the fact that I have been refering to most attacks by their english names, such as the crescent kick. My skill is not so great yet as to perform many of the advanced moves, but I am still able to perform the escapes, such as the Au, and the esquiva (sic?) lateral. If you would be so kind as to describe the maneuvre, I will tell you whether or not I have used it, and if so, which of the two options I prefer.
    Oh yeah, and I like bongos too, even though we do not use them at our class. We stick with the berimbau (sic?).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, yeah, now I got all that other stuff off my chest It's good to shoot the **** on technique. plus like I said I could be wrong so i'll stick to stuff I know about first hand.

Closest I can do to describe it is this pic of the first part of Xiaoyus Phoenix Talon, I'm still trying to prove to myself if the next bit she does is humanly possible, which is the reason for having it screen capped. Ignore the first kick she makes with the right leg, you wouldn't do that it's the second leg that strikes.

To start it you'd drop into a negativa away from the opponent come back forward switching negativa and LAUNCH IT "Take that FUCKER! Yeah who's laughing at my breakdancing now? Could it be the this **** holding his face crying?" in fantasy land but in reality "Ow **** that really hurt last time I try that on a heavy bag, stop laughing everyone i think i kicked the chain"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pow.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	5087  

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool, yeah, now I got all that other stuff off my chest It's good to shoot the **** on technique. plus like I said I could be wrong so i'll stick to stuff I know about first hand.

Closest I can do to describe it is this pic of the first part of Xiaoyus Phoenix Talon, I'm still trying to prove to myself if the next bit she does is humanly possible, which is the reason for having it screen capped. Ignore the first kick she makes with the right leg, you wouldn't do that it's the second leg that strikes.

To start it you'd drop into a negativa away from the opponent come back forward switching negativa and LAUNCH IT "Take that FUCKER! Yeah who's laughing at my breakdancing now? Could it be the this **** holding his face crying?" in fantasy land but in reality "Ow **** that really hurt last time I try that on a heavy bag, stop laughing everyone i think i kicked the chain"
    I love that technique! It is the first ground tech that I learned besides negativa, and I have gotten pretty good at it, efen if I still have trouble making it quite that high. I always use my instep for roundhouse type kicks though, after a bad experience I had once that left me with several broken toes in my first tournament.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Welcome to my first thread.
    Before I begin, I should probably state that I am not an expert, but if you have any questions that I cannot answer out of hand, I will find answers from someone more experienced than I.
    I have only been practicing Capoeira for a few short months, and I understand how people could mistake it as a purely exhibitional martial art.
    Granted that Capoeira makes for great viewing, but the true strength of the art comes from the ability to dodge almost any strike and effectively counter from an unexpected angle.
    I know that the fine people here at Bullshido prefer to have stories backed up by video, but I do not have access to equipment in order to make one. If the chance arises, along with the demand, I assure you that I will present a video, but untill then you will have to make due with the following story. Although it may bear some resembalance to the typical stories of how "my masker totally kicked that guys ass", it is different in at least one respect. I'm the one who gets his ass handed to him.
    I had just joined the Capoeira Club at Webster University in St. Louis, where I am working towards a major in journalism. I had heard mention of the "Brazillian Dance-Fight-Game", but discounted it as impractical and too showy. I had been speaking with other students who had joined, and was surprised to learn that almost all of them had some sort of martial arts experience.
    Before the first class began, the instructor (a student, not a master) told us to try and catch him.
    There were five of us and not one was able to land a blow on the speedy little bastard. Some came close, but he always seemed to be one step ahead of them, either ducking below the strikes, spinning away from the grabs, or even sliding between our legs.
    The closest I came to hitting him was a front snap kick, which he caught before it connected. Using my Muay Thai training, I grabbed hold of his shoulders and pulled myself closer, trying to bring my other knee into play.
    I figured wrong.
    Before I could bring my left knee up, he did a backwards flip that dumped me on my head. Lucky for me I was able to bring my hands away from him fast enough to break my fall.
    Capoeira may not be the most effective, or strongest art, but when an emphasis is placed upon trickery and acrobatics, it forms an effective tool of self defense.
    Drunken Boxing uses trickery and acrobatics, but that doesnt make it a good marital art. Unless you learn it from jackie chan.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Basically, the vast majority capoeria's weapons are high power long strikes. Tactically, you can see it as an extreme version of someone using TKD spinning kicks to headhunt all the time. Certainly, if you were to hit someone with a gigantic spinning kick, it would be pretty injurious. Certainly, if a capoeira guy surprised me and clocked me at distance in the head, I could easily be out of the fight right there. But the basic problem is that once someone clinches or grapples or even fights mostly close to you, you're out of your element.

That's why overall capoeira isn't really a "good" system. Because it's specialized in long range power hits, which is kind of a dangerous basket to put all your eggs in.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 5:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chapeu De Couro is one of my favourites too feels really good to transition from low to high fluidly. Especially if you can do it straight from landing in negativa from that 'crossing with opposite hand in a sort of down to the floor twisting cartwheel move' (I can't remeber what it's called think it's the Brazilian for Manta Ray because of the way a Manta Ray spin strikes with it's tail). I prefer to bring the foot down vertically for surprise value and I have surprised Capoeristas with it who weren't used to people who could get height with the move. I was joking about scraping the face wearing shoes because I can't bring myself to believe it would ever work in a real situation. If you get a nice high boost on the Chapeu De Couro and try and go more over/around the arm that stays on the ground you'll find the Macaco easier (one arm still touching the floor back flip type manoevre). But I advise learning the Giro De Mao (hand spin) and as you come down doing a Role to quick Ginga, becasue that's one of Eddie's victory moves from Tekken and it really pisses of higher cord Capoeiristas if you can do it and they can't.

Love that bit in Drunken Master II when Aninta Mui as Jackie's Mother tells him to use Drunken Fist and Jackie says "But Dad told me not to he'll punish me" and she replies "Never mind I'll still love you, now get them" or something like that, that's what I like about Chinese Martial Art movies, the humour that doesn't seem to be in Jackie's American films.
    Last edited by Chance; 2/02/2006 5:40pm at . Reason: TYPOS
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast