Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Sadly, I didn't mean at the same time. It sounds like the historical and practical explanation behind your experience with a capoeistra has more to do with him being a nutbar.
    Eh, he's an OK guy when you get to know him.
    By the way, I'm new here and am not up on the terminology. I know what a nutrider is, but I have not yet encountered the term nutbar. I assume that it means he's insane. If so, then it's true.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    I am not asking you to like Capoeira, I am only asking that you accept the fact that the escapes/counters can be used effectively against a striking opponant.
    People would probably believe it if you showed some video of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:57pm

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    I am only saying that the evasive movements and the associated counters have warrant. I am not asking you to like Capoeira, I am only asking that you accept the fact that the escapes/counters can be used effectively against a striking opponant.
    OK limiting it to that then, I doubt it, a lot of those counters are Capoeira versus Capoeira counters and you don't train against other styles or in an alive manner.

Plus the predominantly trained crescent kicks are not a technique of choice for self defense, they are vulnerable to jamming and a successful hit puts a lateral force on the knee joint, no matter how much milk you drink JohhnyCache.
    Last edited by Chance; 2/02/2006 2:04pm at .

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    People would probably believe it if you showed some video of it.
    True enough.
    The only problem with that is that I do not have the equipment to make digital video. Not to mention the fact that if I did, any video I made with my friends would almost immediately be dismissed as a fake. In order to illustrate the effectiveness, I would need to find a martial artist of at least a middling experience and have someone who gets more practice than I do pick a fight with him. My job keeps me from going to class and I only get about two hours of practice a week.
    Besides that, I am a bit of a technophobe and would be absolutely clueless when it comes to using a digital recorder.
    If anyone can find any video of effective escapes, please post it here. If it came from a source other than me, since I started this thread, it might be a bit more effective.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 2:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    OK limiting it to that then, I doubt it, a lot of those counters are Capoeira versus Capoeira counters and you don't train against other styles or in an alive manner.
    Most kicking techniques that can be done from a ginga are the same as in other martial arts.
    Bencao is a front push kick.
    Ponteria is a front stretch or snap kick.
    Meia Lua de Compasso is a spinning heel kick.
    And then there are the various incarnations of the crescant kick.
    Sweeping blows from an apponant in Negativa are no different from kicks directed at the knee.
    Besides, how many schools do train against other styles? I have not once been to a Korean Dojang where they declared "Thursdays: Kung-Fu Night".
    Have you ever been to a Muay Thai school where they invited Savate practitioners over for a friendly game?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With regards to schools training against other styles congratulations welcome to Bullshido where MMA and Throwdowns are generally thought of as a good idea

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is worth noting that American Top Team in addition to offering classes on BJJ, MT. MMA and Boxing, it also offers Capoeira. The fact that a top MA gym offers such classes may be telling. I don't think Capoeira will teach any practical MA moves or techniques, BUT it will make you fucking awesome when it comes to stamina and agility.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 2:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    With regards to schools training against other styles congratulations welcome to Bullshido where MMA and Throwdowns are generally thought of as a good idea
    Are their any in Missouri? More specifically St. Louis? If not, then I shall have to practice the ancient art of no-can-do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 2:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    It is worth noting that American Top Team in addition to offering classes on BJJ, MT. MMA and Boxing, it also offers Capoeira. The fact that a top MA gym offers such classes may be telling. I don't think Capoeira will teach any practical MA moves or techniques, BUT it will make you fucking awesome when it comes to stamina and agility.
    So will Breakdancing and you don't have to listen to Bongo drums

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 2:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hang on I've just notice this question from JohhnyCache
    "Why on earth, what earthly purpose, would there be for an underfed slave with brittle bones? ."

My Mestre told me they were worked to death, the imported labour from Africa took longer to die that's why they brought there. It was basic economics, how much will it cost to feed, clothe and shelter against work output versus how much it costs to get some new fresh slaves. They didn't want to feed them enough so they were strong enough for rebellion.

Once again "Why on earth, what earthly purpose, would there be for an underfed slave with brittle bones?"
    So you''ve never seen the pictures of forced labour camps during the second World war then? History is important to be passed on correctly and remembered, but if I'm wrong about what i was told in good faith I'm wrong.

And as for feeling the kick through the kick shield it's obvious to anyone who's trained Muay Thai what I meant for really feeling the power of the kick versus holding a kicking shield and some tool kicking it and being aware its been hit. I've been hit harder by people screwing up acrobatic techniques than a lot of kickboxers I trained with could ever kick.

Apologies that this is off the topic of the thread i just wanted to address the short sightedness mixed in with insults about my kicking ability
    Last edited by Chance; 2/02/2006 3:22pm at .
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast