Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:07am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Ok! Granted you've noticed something we may have never bothred to see.It's still a fighting style that's lacking in many important fundementals that would make it considered an effective fighting art.For instance they have absofuckenlutely no conditioning for punches and kicks whatsoever.They have no tournaments that I'm aware of.They don't sem to want to stride to improve the art in a way that can turn it into something to fear or respect.Say like BJJ.

The only plus side is that are usually very fit and their chicks are always hot.
    They do have tournies. There was one here in Orlando last year, they are called something else though, something portugese.

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    You're the one using the movie to make your point, not me. Im just pointing out that Jaa never commited to a good kick in that thing. If he had, our capoeirista would've been on his ass, just like in real life.
    Once again, it is only a movie, not real life. All I was saying was the the Capoeirista showed off several moves that would be effective if incorperated into a martial artist's arsenal.
    If we are going to start citing Hollywood, the fine people who brought us "Bloodsport II", as proof of one martial art's dominance over another, then I submit the film "The Rundown".
    What do you have against Capoeira, Osiris, that all of your posts have been about how ineffective it is and anybody who practices it would get the crap kicked out of them in real life?
    Not that I don't agree that a martial arts resume consisting solely of Capoeira is a very bad idea. I am just trying to understand what you have against the art, seeing as how it contains most of the same kicks and punches as other martial arts.
    :copdance:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:30am

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody knows the history of Capoeira for sure, the records were burned only a few survive.
    There is no way it stacks up against boxing, Muay Thai or BJJ. Have you tried any of those circular crescent kicks on a heavy bag that would simulate using them on someone coming at you? I have, you nearly break your knee from the side force on the joint.

Razors? Puh-lease do you train with knives like in Escrima? No, so that's out the door straight away.

Separate issue, how Capoeira is marketed ouside of Brazil. Right everyone you've got to sing the songs in Portueguese, Bongo accompanyment. "Why?" "It's important to respect the culture and history of Capoeira" "What are we singing about?" "Orishas" "From Candomble?" "er" "Didn't the displaced Africans disguide their religion into Roman Catholocism to avoid persecution" "er" "Isn't Candomble connected to Vodun (Voodoo)" "NO! NO! Capoeira isn't a religion! No it's nothing to do with that my fearful of Voodoo European chums!" "So why do we have to sing the songs then could it be it's good marketing all smiling, clapping along?" WHITEWASH ALERT

As I said in another post " There is some documentation of the undergroung "gangsta" period but I think this is misinterpreted as giving credibility to Capoeira as a martial art. It's just as relevant to say any dance form that has people in it who are connected to organised crime is martial. I think the confusion comes from the movements which are Afro Carribbean in origin. If you've seen the excellent film "Rize" by David LaChapelle documenting Krump there is a very interesting scene where the founders of Krump are shown footage of African tribal dances and they can't believe the similarity because to their knowledge they created the movements themselves. It's think it's a genetic memory, it just happens that these movements look warlike."

Outside of martial arts one of the major wind ups for me is when dipshits who do Capoeira say stupid craplike "it's so cool we all use our Capoeira moves on a dancefloor!" you would be fucking owned by any Krumper or Breaker if you did that ****! I ever see anyone trying that when I'm out and I'll make a point of making you look stupid, you zero dancing ability twats. "You can come test, realize you're no contest"

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    If the mein character were a Capoeirista, he would have knocked the **** out of the other guy.
    Aye, true dat.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    My people have rhytm I don't know about your people though. I was wondering are the instructors that teach black?
    Ah, another racist enters Bullshido.

BTW, the Capoeira instructor at my former gym was black, and so was his brother, who weighting in more than 100 kg could jump over standing people. Yup, more than one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:41am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My thoughts on evasive skill benefits of Capoeria...

Just turn around and run away...most people probably wouldn't be able to keep up anyway. Everyone I met who did Capoeria was in kickass shape and had incredible cardio...

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance
    Nobody knows the history of Capoeira for sure, the records were burned only a few survive.
    There is no way it stacks up against boxing, Muay Thai or BJJ. Have you tried any of those circular crescent kicks on a heavy bag that would simulate using them on someone coming at you? I have, you nearly break your knee from the side force on the joint.

Razors? Puh-lease do you train with knives like in Escrima? No, so that's out the door straight away.

Separate issue, how Capoeira is marketed ouside of Brazil. Right everyone you've got to sing the songs in Portueguese, Bongo accompanyment. "Why?" "It's important to respect the culture and history of Capoeira" "What are we singing about?" "Orishas" "From Candomble?" "er" "Didn't the displaced Africans disguide their religion into Roman Catholocism to avoid persecution" "er" "Isn't Candomble connected to Vodun (Voodoo)" "NO! NO! Capoeira isn't a religion! No it's nothing to do with that my fearful of Voodoo European chums!" "So why do we have to sing the songs then could it be it's good marketing all smiling, clapping along?" WHITEWASH ALERT

As I said in another post " There is some documentation of the undergroung "gangsta" period but I think this is misinterpreted as giving credibility to Capoeira as a martial art. It's just as relevant to say any dance form that has people in it who are connected to organised crime is martial. I think the confusion comes from the movements which are Afro Carribbean in origin. If you've seen the excellent film "Rize" by David LaChapelle documenting Krump there is a very interesting scene where the founders of Krump are shown footage of African tribal dances and they can't believe the similarity because to their knowledge they created the movements themselves. It's think it's a genetic memory, it just happens that these movements look warlike."

Outside of martial arts one of the major wind ups for me is when dipshits who do Capoeira say stupid craplike "it's so cool we all use our Capoeira moves on a dancefloor!" you would be fucking owned by any Krumper or Breaker if you did that ****! I ever see anyone trying that when I'm out and I'll make a point of making you look stupid, you zero dancing ability twats. "You can come test, realize you're no contest"
    I said that my sources were sketchy and contradictory didn't I?
    I did not start this thread so that I could argue the fact that Capoeira can be used on the dance floor. I do not dance, nor shall I ever.
    As for the musical factor of Capoeira, I must remind you that Capoeira is for fun. It is a game with a bit of martial arts thrown in.
    Final point: you must have horrifically weak knees if you almost dislocate your knee using a crescant kick on a heavy bag.
    Try doing some squats...if you can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:57am

Style: None at the moment,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm talking about a heavy bag you find in a proper boxing/kickboxing gym, the type you've never tried your flashy techniques on. The type of gym where people can throw thai kicks so hard you feel them through the kick shield. And yes people thought it was hilarious me trying a few capoeira techniques in that environemnt, but I don't give a **** I try and find what works, crescent kicks don't and the mei lua jams like a fucker on a heavy target leaving you wide open for extreme ownage. My ability to do full box splits shows my knees are in fine shape for handling lateral force thanks.

The dancing thing was entirely separate to all the other points you can't answer, so you've avoided them questioning my ability to do squats!

Clarification before anyone else goes on abount crescent kicks: Capoeira uses a circularity of movement to generate power for the kicks, if you hit heel first no problem apart from maybe getting jammed and owned by a grappler, but if you torque up and switch the leg to a vertical position crescent kick style and spinning or jump spinning hit that into a heavy bag the side force on the knee is tremendous.
    Last edited by Chance; 2/02/2006 11:07am at .

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm talking about a heavy bag you find in a proper boxing/kickboxing gym, the type you've never tried your flashy techniques on. The type of gym where people can throw thai kicks so hard you feel them through the kick shield. And yes people thought it was hilarious me trying a few capoeira techniques in that environemnt, but I don't give a **** I try and find what works, crescent kicks don't and the mei lua jams like a fucker on a heavy target leaving you wide open for extreme ownage. My ability to do full box splits shows my knees are in fine shape for handling lateral force thanks.

The dancing thing was entirely separate to all the other points you can't answer, so you've avoided them questioning my ability to do squats!

Clarification before anyone else goes on abount crescent kicks: Capoeira uses a circularity of movement to generate power for the kicks, if you hit heel first no problem apart from maybe getting jammed and owned by a grappler, but if you torque up and switch the leg to a vertical position crescent kick style and spinning or jump spinning hit that into a heavy bag the side force on the knee is tremendous.
    Strange, I thought that I had addressed all of your points other than the one about razors, which people don't even use today. If you can find a single Maestre who is willing to teach his students how to fight with straight razors, please tell me. I wish you luck.
    Moreover, YOU are the one who brought in a bunch of irrelevant **** on how you could own any Capoeirista on the dance floor, and some crap about a documentary called "Rize". If there is anything that I have forgotten to adress, please tell me now and I will get back to you on it.
    Oh, and by the way, roundhouse kicks and twist kicks are a suitable alternative to the crescent kick in Capoeira, but they are rarely used because it is considered an "agressive" technique, and is disruptive to the pace of the game.
    As for the Meia Lua de Compasso, it should be no harder to use than the typical spinning kick. If you are having so much trouble with it, you are probably doing it wrong.
    Techniques aside, if you have anything relevant to say about the true point of this thread, that evasive maneuvers that can transition to counters are the true strength of Capoeira, feel free to post.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:29am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When I worked out with capoeiristas (about a decade and a bit ago), they didn't advocate delivering force outside of the travel path of the kick, which is how you put strain on the side of the knee. The side of the foot should be moving up or down, not slappin sideways at the peak of the movement.

By contrast, my knees are shitty and I can get the lead out with those kicks just fine. On the other hand, it's a whole bunch of movement to get the same power you get out of a round kick. Thus, I don't give much time to those other kicks these days.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast