Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:15pm

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The true strength is it is fun, a game. :gwbdance:
    we all need to dance some time.
    Last edited by rexkwon; 2/01/2006 11:18pm at .

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rexkwon
    The true stength is it is fun, a game.
    Too true. I had not thought of that. If one could bring the Capoeira outlook to a tournament it might serve them well...

Look! Chewbacca does Capoeira!!! :chewy:

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could see it happening. Although I believe Capoeira has no decent attacks to take out a trained fighter, or any legitimate counter to being grappled, I could see them being wirely little ****ers that are hard to hit, and probably would bang up your thighs pretty bad before you got a hold of him.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jean Silva is trained in capoeira, but he says he only does moves from capoeira when he thinks he can get away with it as a crowd pleaser, but otherwise feels it's pretty risky

EDIT: Jean Silva is an MMA fighter that fights out of Chutebox academy
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:44pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he presented his case in a very respectable manner. He didn't try to push capoeira on anybody nor did he say it was for everyone. He didn't even say it was a good fighting art. He said it's fun, provided a little background information and said it might help some people with speed/reflexes. I think it was a worthwhile read and I agree with his points. As to the story, it doesn't matter to me whether it's true or not because I know those guys (mestres, as I think the masters are called although I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right) are agile and in shape.
    I've actually wanted to take capoeira to get into better shape and I love that gymnastics stuff like parkour. Not for fighting though, that's obviously a different story and since i'd rather learn how to fight, capoeira will have to wait.

Edit: out of my 17 posts thus far, approximately 13 have started a new page.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a few Capoeira places here that are full of hot chicks, and the windows are always steamed up.........

where do I sign?
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 12:00am

Style: Kung Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, if those bastards are rolling around with knives, then maybe they don't need to punch hard, just a swift swipe in one of those deceptive circular movements across the neck would be enough.
    But i know the best way to defeat a Capoeira guy. Turn off his music. :happy2:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 12:12am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, as it happens, I participated in a capoeira class last night, since my girlfriend plays it. Their sense of gamesmanship is very developed and would be a great asset to anyone, although lord knows that not everything will convert directly to other martial arts. Other than that, the physical conditioning (balance, flexibility, agility, speed, core strength) required is excellent. It's also a lot of fun.

Best part of the evening: Since it was her birthday, one of the students had to get in the roda (a circle where people do whatever it is capoeistras do together) with everyone in the class. When it came time to play with the instructor, he got behind her, pushed her over, pulled a straight razor out of his pocket and held it in front of her face -- laughing the whole time. She didn't seem to like that.

Second best part of the evening, me dodging a spinning attack from the same instructor, finding him on all fours in front of me, launching myself onto his back, deciding an RNC (which I totally had) would make him sad and instead arching my back for a moment before landing via a front handspring.

Capoeira also requires a great sense of rhythm, which all too many North Americans sorely lack.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Capoeira also requires a great sense of rhythm, which all too many North Americans sorely lack.
    My people have rhytm I don't know about your people though. I was wondering are the instructors that teach black?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:57am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They'll teach any colour who wants to learn, bless their souls.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast