Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

True Strength of Capoeira

Welcome to my first thread.
    Before I begin, I should probably state that I am not an expert, but if you have any questions that I cannot answer out of hand, I will find answers from someone more experienced than I.
    I have only been practicing Capoeira for a few short months, and I understand how people could mistake it as a purely exhibitional martial art.
    Granted that Capoeira makes for great viewing, but the true strength of the art comes from the ability to dodge almost any strike and effectively counter from an unexpected angle.
    I know that the fine people here at Bullshido prefer to have stories backed up by video, but I do not have access to equipment in order to make one. If the chance arises, along with the demand, I assure you that I will present a video, but untill then you will have to make due with the following story. Although it may bear some resembalance to the typical stories of how "my masker totally kicked that guys ass", it is different in at least one respect. I'm the one who gets his ass handed to him.
    I had just joined the Capoeira Club at Webster University in St. Louis, where I am working towards a major in journalism. I had heard mention of the "Brazillian Dance-Fight-Game", but discounted it as impractical and too showy. I had been speaking with other students who had joined, and was surprised to learn that almost all of them had some sort of martial arts experience.
    Before the first class began, the instructor (a student, not a master) told us to try and catch him.
    There were five of us and not one was able to land a blow on the speedy little bastard. Some came close, but he always seemed to be one step ahead of them, either ducking below the strikes, spinning away from the grabs, or even sliding between our legs.
    The closest I came to hitting him was a front snap kick, which he caught before it connected. Using my Muay Thai training, I grabbed hold of his shoulders and pulled myself closer, trying to bring my other knee into play.
    I figured wrong.
    Before I could bring my left knee up, he did a backwards flip that dumped me on my head. Lucky for me I was able to bring my hands away from him fast enough to break my fall.
    Capoeira may not be the most effective, or strongest art, but when an emphasis is placed upon trickery and acrobatics, it forms an effective tool of self defense.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard in Brazil they tore **** up when they dethroned the queen. Coyote can you elaborate this more my knowledge on Capoeria is not much.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    grapple, even, crapple the 'speedy little bastard'.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Camus has brought up a good question.Did anyone even try to grab him?Did you try to clinch him?

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To adress the previous posts, I must remind you that I only briefly cross trianed in Muay Thai and have no grappling experience. The purpose of this forum was not to promote Capoeira as some sort of superart that makes you utterly invincible, but rather to express my belief that the evasive maneuvers of Capoeira are its greatest strength, and worth a look to anyone who may have trouble with avoiding strikes.
    As to the question on the history of Capoeira, I must say that I have read only a bit of the history of the art, and several of my sources are conflicting. However, if I remember correctly, I did read something of how Capoeira practitioners were used as thugs and mercinaries in a number of conflicts. This led to a ban on Capoeira, whereby anyone caught practicing it would be severely punished. My memory is sketchy at best, and I will look for additional information if you want Mr. Jones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:52pm

Style: Kung Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    aren't those capoera guys also supposed play thier game with razor blades? i hear they used to use those.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok! Granted you've noticed something we may have never bothred to see.It's still a fighting style that's lacking in many important fundementals that would make it considered an effective fighting art.For instance they have absofuckenlutely no conditioning for punches and kicks whatsoever.They have no tournaments that I'm aware of.They don't sem to want to stride to improve the art in a way that can turn it into something to fear or respect.Say like BJJ.

The only plus side is that are usually very fit and their chicks are always hot.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Camus has brought up a good question.Did anyone even try to grab him?Did you try to clinch him?
    You must remember that this happened several months ago, back when I was in my first semester of college, before I even knew about Bullshido. Had I known that I would be posting this story I might have payed better attention to what the others were doing.
    Judging by the fact that one of them told me that he had been in BJJ, I would have to assume that he tried. As the members of this site are fond of saying, "it's the martial artist, not the art". Perhaps he is exceptionally good. Who knows, maybe everyone else there who had martial arts experience was just plain piss poor.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfumonkey
    aren't those capoera guys also supposed play thier game with razor blades? i hear they used to use those.
    It is true that Capoeira was originaly played with razors, knives, and other weapons, including pistols.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Ok! Granted you've noticed something we may have never bothred to see.It's still a fighting style that's lacking in many important fundementals that would make it considered an effective fighting art.For instance they have absofuckenlutely no conditioning for punches and kicks whatsoever.They have no tournaments that I'm aware of.They don't sem to want to stride to improve the art in a way that can turn it into something to fear or respect.Say like BJJ.

The only plus side is that are usually very fit and their chicks are always hot.
    Though fear and respect are both valuable traits for any martial art, neither fit in with the "Capoeira Attitude". Mostly, it is just about having fun and being with friends. I do believe that the escapes are worth learning and practicing, along with certain moves that can be preformed immediately therafter for a quick counterattack.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast