Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 8:30pm

Style: Ex-TMA/KB Noob/Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    o rly?

And what would you do, smartass, if you were in the can and hadn´t any paper? Would you rather walk around with **** in your pants or would you sacrifice a piece of your armor and risk death at the hands of a panhandler gone stabby?
    I'd wipe my ass with my boxers and toss 'em in the garbage. Book paper chafes.

COMMANDO BABY!!!

Scary thing is that I had to do that once......

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the movie Richochet with Denzel Washington and Jon Lithgow there is a prison swordfighting scene (or something equal ridiculous) where they use phone books for armor.

Being 14 I really wanted to try it out. Unfortunately my brother and I couldn't track down enough copies.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 8:42pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, just brilliant. My hat is off to Kickcatcher.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    In the movie Richochet with Denzel Washington and Jon Lithgow there is a prison swordfighting scene (or something equal ridiculous) where they use phone books for armor.

Being 14 I really wanted to try it out. Unfortunately my brother and I couldn't track down enough copies.
    I should add that we proceeded to just beat the crap out of eachother without armor, like we had been doing for 14 years.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:23pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil's response reminds me of the response of Social Text in the Sokal Affair.

As much as I hate it, Wikipedia has some good info on what it is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair">here</a>.
    --
    L.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:12pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Should this be mentioned on Wikipedia? I just checked back there and someone has added a couple of positive quotations about Phil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Elmore

One of Elmore's non-traditional instructors characterized him as "a good student" of "average to above average ability" who "picks up concepts quickly and is good at applying them."[6]

"Since Phil Elmore has been my student," stated Dan Donzella (one of Elmore's traditional instructors and his current teacher), "he has made steady progress in understanding and using the Chuan-fa/Tjimande systems. His power and technique have improved steadily..."[7]
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:15pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    Phil's response reminds me of the response of Social Text in the Sokal Affair.

As much as I hate it, Wikipedia has some good info on what it is <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair">here</a>.
    That was an excellent article. And being an anti-leftist (ie. fan of individual responsibility over the State), thanks for the ammo. Hell, that helps me with an argument I have with The Wastrel over a year ago on leftist bias in the American university system.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:00pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil's official rebuttal to Kickcatcher:

http://themartialist.com/pecom/stabvesthoax.htm

Good ol' Phil.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:45pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    That was an excellent article. And being an anti-leftist (ie. fan of individual responsibility over the State), thanks for the ammo. Hell, that helps me with an argument I have with The Wastrel over a year ago on leftist bias in the American university system.
    Prof. Sokal is one of my fondest heroes (I have this thing against postmodernism like you do against bullshit martial artists), and KC's hoax is everything the Sokal Affair was, and Phil's response fits the Social Text response exactly -- backpedalling and defense instead of admitting their mistake and fessing up.

The problem with the left (much like the problem with the right) is that they each contain their right nutjobs, and good debate is often hindered because the nutjobs are unfortunately very vocal. Sokal's stated intention was that he wanted to reclaim the "intellectual left" from charlatans like postmodern professors and show that there are leftists who still believe in objectivity and the classical liberal values of Mill and Locke.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 12:54am

Style: Beatyerass

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil's rebuttal is just plain pathetic. Does he really expect anyone to believe him? The guy is delusional.
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast