Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:10am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to his site after reading this. Has anyone seen this post he made?

http://www.paxbaculum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3746

Lest you folks who think less than positively of me worry that I'll come after you for harassment, let me assure you that I welcome your calls to 315.391.1626 IF you can have a civil conversation in good faith. You don't have to agree with me to phone me; you just have to be able to speak reasonably and politely.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:23am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anyone calls that number (assuming it's his) and is a jackass, I will personally ban you. We don't need that kind of bullshit originating here, and I imagine it's borderline illegal.

Yes, Phil is a douche, and a bigger one for inviting that on himself. But just because his dick is on the ground doesn't mean you need to stomp it. For me, this article is the nail in the credibility coffin anyway.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 9:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap. Is the guy that desperate for friends that he has to post his frikkin number 25 times?

He's like the desperate guy that leaves 5,000 messages on some chick's machine.

"Call me!"
    "Didnt hear from you yet so, you know, call me!"
    "Still waiting for that call!"
    "Hiya! Call me anytime!"
    "I'm crying while masturbating!"

etc.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:43am

Style: -

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the part about stabbing DiCaprio's face.
    :))

Congratulations Kickcatcher, you have my envy.

Tomas

('._.)

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:42am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like patriotism can save your life.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 12:09pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Man I can just hear his rebuttle already: "Well I was suspicious at first, but I decided to evaluate the information on it's merits, and heavy books would certainly stop a knife! Why not walk to and fro girded in a literal, as well as figurative literary armor, and truly demonstrate that the pen IS mightier?"

either that or he will try to say how impartial being duped made him:

"Well this just goes to show that I run an open forum, where even my detractors are free to make me look like a douche without censorship, or even the slightest editorial fact checking!"
    Why hear the rebuttal when you can read it? Johnny Cache pretty much nailed what he was going to say to a "T," though.

http://www.paxbaculum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3818

The guy even goes on to say that he fixed a bunch of kickcatcher's article because it was so poorly written. What an egomaniac. I love it.

Edit: I'm skipping all my classes today, so I can happily post the entire thread upon request.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Misguided style basher

Posted On:

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil Elmore emailed "Jason Devon"
    Thank you for your assistance in helping me promote my publication, by the way. I hope I gave you enough time to distribute enough samples of the Mega Issue for it to raise interest in the circles you travel.

Now is probably an unfortunate time to tell you that I saved all our correspondence specifically to put it in the commentary article I knew I'd be writing. It explains how you've managed to contribute something worthwhile despite your intention to do the opposite.

Had fun owning you,

Phil
    Those emails he's referring to have been passed around bullie for about 6 months now. In fact, I'll make his job easier and post them here for him. lol.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phil's response/reasoning for allowing the article, which he knew all along was a fake and was just demonstrating his intellectual superiority by reviewing it objectively:

----------Quoted from his Phillness--------
    The thing is, it's not a bad article, which is why I included it.

For those of you just joining us, Justin wrote to me (thank you for the heads-up, by the way, Justin) to let me know this was being discussed at The Children's Network. I have always known a would-be hoax article is a possibility and I don't worry too much about it; when I evaluate an article for publication I ask myself if the ideas it contains have merit. Will publication of the article help people, or won't it?

I figured from the outset, given the melodramatic tone of the article and the pictures of the scrawny dude imitating a "fence" type stance, that there was a good chance this was that article -- but I figured it didn't matter. If it was legitimate, fine; if it wasn't, fine again, the joke's on the author.

I first read of the concept of improvised anti-knife padding in The Sicilian Blade, that little stiletto-fighting book that most of us have seen before. While crude (and while I didn't think much of it when I first saw it), it turns out that the book does contain material of value. A variation on the theme of padding against a knife assault is one of these. I even mentioned this to "Jason Devon" when he first wrote to me.

The original article was not the article you see published; I edited it thoroughly and added some material at the end extracted from an e-mail I sent "Jason" asking him some follow-up questions.

What resulted is and was, amusingly enough, a decent article with well-executed photos, regardless of the author's intent. (I loved the stabbing-Leonardo-DiCaprio picture, for example.) I did, however, perform a wink and a nod at the end of the text, by leaving an editor's note stating that you may or may not be able to make the idea work (but that it's worth considering for worst-case scenarios).

I get a lot of e-mail from students of self-defense and a surprising quantity of it deals with this same issue; one guy even shared with me rather elaborate plans to build some kind of improvised armor from aluminum plate, or some such thing. (I even referred him to "Jason's" article.)

Ultimately, the article offers what I think is an interesting idea that is worth considering -- an idea that isn't original and with which I a was previously acquainted. I gather that the "ownage" here is that I'm supposed to have been taken in by an article I did not "verify" -- as if I'm going to retire for the evening to the field laboratories of The Martialist™, where James Bond-esque technicians spend their days shooting knives from spring-loaded wrist sheaths, practicing body posturing on captive hobos, winos, and panhandlers, and herding pigs when they're not out on the street solving crimes. I guess I was supposed to wrap myself in coffee table books about shipwrecks or Hungarian cabinet-making and then do my best to stab myself; this might constitute the "verification" in which these ridiculous children seem to put so much stock. I guess I'm supposed to have determined, through testing, that the idea was offered dishonestly and I would then, one presumes, rush from the PhilCave in the PhilMobile, screaming "Stop the presses!" as I hurtled into the seven-story glass-and-steel building wherein the mighty PDF Printing Presses of my magazine hum away twenty-four hours a day.

The only problem is, the concept is workable and the article's not bad at all.

Rather than become an exaggerated empiricist, I prefer to use reason and apply logic to the data of my senses. This process tells me that the article, regardless of intent or provenance, forwards a useful idea. Now, how you choose to build improvised padding of this type is up to you; the exact construction will vary from person to person and the scenarios in which you might be able to use it will definitely vary. That doesn't make it stupid, however (and I disagree with Justin's assessment of it as such or I would not have published it).

The fact is that such padding, however you choose to apply it, does provide resistance against being stabbed. Are any of us paranoid enough or in enough danger to have to construct such a suit and go about wearing it for any length of time? I hope not -- but it's within the realm of possibilty. I never dismiss any idea I think can be of use, even if it seems a little cheesy or if the relevant applications are limited and specific in scope.

It is perhaps a delicious irony that the only time people like "Jason Devon" can offer anything useful to the field of self-defense is when they're deliberately trying to do just the opposite. If that is what it takes to get them to contribute positively to society, I think we can all live with that. Wink

Were I a particularly cruel man I would publish the original article submission, which was not terribly well written and is probably indicative of the level of intelligence one expects from folks "over there."

Whenever you read something in The Martialist™, it goes without saying that you should do so with a critical, active mind. Bear in mind, however, that I will never publish something that I don't believe is useful. I don't always agree with the opinions expressed in my publication (sometimes I will say this and sometimes I don't bother), but everything that goes into print is something that I believe will be of benefit to the reader. I cannot track down and verify the intentions of every prospective author; I can only examine each article on its own merits and determine if reading such material will provide the reader with useful entertainment, information, and fuel for further study and research.

This article, however dishonest in its inception, does those things and I am proud to have included it. I am proud because I have managed to squeeze something worthwhile out of an otherwise worthless human being -- and in the process I have, in the spirit of guerilla marketing, yet again managed to use my criticis as a tool for publicity. I must, therefore, admit to a certain amount of mischief in knowingly making use of my detractors for this purpose, but I think that's a genuine case of, "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Please excuse me while I spend the rest of the morning feeling smug. I am insufferably pleased with myself. It's not every day I get to 'own' someone who was looking to do just that to me.

----end quote---------
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 12:10pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didnt mean to cause trouble I just saw that on his page.
    It does seem like quite a cry for attention. Hell no way would I want to talk to him.
    It be worse than trying to get off the phone with my ex girlfriends mother. Bleh!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 12:18pm

Style: Beatyerass

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    Phil's response/reasoning for allowing the article, which he knew all along was a fake and was just demonstrating his intellectual superiority by reviewing it objectively:

----------Quoted from his Phillness--------
    The thing is, it's not a bad article, which is why I included it.

(edited for bullshit content) ....

Please excuse me while I spend the rest of the morning feeling smug. I am insufferably pleased with myself. It's not every day I get to 'own' someone who was looking to do just that to me.

----end quote---------
    How utterly, utterly fucking lame can you get. What a fucking twunt.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast