• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/08/2006 8:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it some sort of gangster cliché to shoot people while holding a book in front of the gun muzzle in order to act as a makeshift silencer? If that's true, it doesn't really support the "books stop bullets" argument.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 12:28pm

Style: One-armed flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Isn't it some sort of gangster cliché to shoot people while holding a book in front of the gun muzzle in order to act as a makeshift silencer? If that's true, it doesn't really support the "books stop bullets" argument.
    Dumbest idea ever.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 12:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman_withers
    Dumbest idea ever.
    No, you're thinking of the 'martialist.'

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    2/09/2006 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks like he combed his hair right before the hi tech photo shoot.

Why is his eyebrow raised? Is he flirting with us?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 12:16am

Style: Boxing, Judo, BJJ, M.T.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, let me say this.

The textbook thing likely wouldn't work for muffling a bullet, you could do better with a pillow dispersing the sounds.

The only thing I find very disturbing in Phil's post-remarks is that he uses reason, instead of "empiricism". So, he uses his head to figure things out rather than testing them. Only problem is, unless he believes in reincarnation, he's going to come to a philosophical conundrum. We only "reason" because we have prior experiences that allow us to make inferences. (There are nuances to this, but they involve things like the mind's ability to divide concepts, whether one exists in a really real world, or if one exists only in the sense that there is "one apple", which isn't what we're talking about).

So.... where is his extensive background in knife-fighting that allows him to "reason" without recourse to an observable phenomenon? Since, in this case, it would be easy to test the practicality of it, and he is doing it for the benefit of his readers, I don't see why he wouldn't try harder. So, is he lazy, gullible, not actually concerned about his readers, believe his reasoning of such a high caliber that he does not need to observe an effect..... or what?

I find myself mystified.

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    2/14/2006 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, is he lazy, gullible, not actually concerned about his readers, believe his reasoning of such a high caliber that he does not need to observe an effect..... or what?
    -I would say all of the above. He rejects empirical evidence all the time when it comes to effective fighting techniques. Sparring, MMA, and other Alive combat sports are about as empirical as it gets. Alive training scares him. It's no real surprise that he didn't test this stuff before he printed it...

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 1:07pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bump. Reshared this link on our Facebook page today.

Good times.

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 9:12pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually had an Elmore sighting while I was living in Rochester. A pickup truck parked across the street from where I was having lunch with my wife, covered in bumper stickers with paranoid "mottos", and it had a vanity plate that said "MRTLST". It took me a few seconds to figure it out, but I just gaped when he got out of the car and it hit me that I was actually seeing him live and in person. I guess I'm lucky he didn't stab me for staring.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/22/2012 10:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    I actually had an Elmore sighting while I was living in Rochester. A pickup truck parked across the street from where I was having lunch with my wife, covered in bumper stickers with paranoid "mottos", and it had a vanity plate that said "MRTLST". It took me a few seconds to figure it out, but I just gaped when he got out of the car and it hit me that I was actually seeing him live and in person. I guess I'm lucky he didn't stab me for staring.
    You could pay for lunch so you weren't homeless. You have a wife, so you aren't a minority.

You were safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2013 6:10pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel like I should have joined years ago so I could have enjoyed all the shenanigans whilst they were fresh and new. Oh well, better late than never? I know, probably not. If I use bibles for my knife vest will it offer any added protection? **Prepares for the inevitable flogging by the local Black Belts for Christ club**
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415