Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 6:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Hrm, in all honesty I don't bother worrying about people's elbows with a high kick. I've never met an elbow harder than my shin.
    It's not your shin that tends to get injured. It's the instep.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:03am

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, for roundhouse:
    all the kicks start at the same level as far as the height of the knee in relation to the hip (that is the knee is at the same height as the hip). If its going to the legs then it cuts down from there. To the body it just keeps going straight across, perpendicular to the target. And if its going to the head you still go perpendicular as much as possible by lifting the hips.

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:07am

Style: Warp Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The followers of Khorne are not taught one hard and rigid rule for their leg techniques, that is not the way of Chaos. Worldeaters are taught to see what is open, how the upper appendages cover the target and what angle is left open. That is where and how to strike. The strike must always change to fit the situation, that is the way of Chaos.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been taught the same as Ikken Hisatsu: "up at a slight angle and then straight across."

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:59am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honey Badger, the sikaran that I learned had upward angled kicks too, but I never use them any more. I'm going to ramble a bit, but here goes:

When it comes to any striking, I'm kind of power-happy. If I can't put someone down with a technique quickly, I generally won't use it. The problem with many upward arcing kicks is what I term the pendulum effect. You can only swing something upward so far before it needs to come back down.

This holds true for any upward angled kicks. They can only go so high, before they need to come back down. Many people will try to retract their kicks back down the same path that their leg took on the way up. The problem with this is that toward the top of the arc, you will lose velocity, as you can't keep torquing upwards forever. In addition, unless you are extremely flexible, you also will tend to tense up and begin pulling back if you are using an upward arc against a high target. This means that you are not fully committed to burying your weight through the target. You are losing power by being forced to pull back as the kick is still on its way up.

It's not that an upward kick can't still connect with some power, as they definitely can. But to do so effectively, you must be quite flexible, to ensure that you are getting good deep penetration before you put the brakes on. And if you are retracting the kick on the same arc, you must be quite quick to avoid getting the leg snagged. You'll see this with sloppy Thai boxers a lot. If they don't flip their hips and drive the leg through, they end up getting the leg caught, and they are thrown.

If you've got pretty good hips, you can arc a kick (round kick) upward, then flip your hips, and drive it through/back down without a retraction. This does help in alleviating the problem of weak penetration due to the pendulum effect, but it does require good hip movement and flexibility.

Personally, since my background is in FMA, where we do a lot of weapons fighting, it never made any sense to me why many sikaran kicks angle upward. If someone has a knife, you are just presenting that leg to get stuck when you kick at an upward angle. You are also presenting your femoral artery. Sure, there are the low line stomps, sweeps, etc., which are appropriate against the knife, but why not use a low chopping round kick? They actually fit in there quite nicely.
    Last edited by Ryno; 2/02/2006 12:02pm at .

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good points. As far as "high" kicks are concerned, I generally don't aim high kicks at a fully upright opponent. I have relatively tight hips and I'm not tall. I would use those "high" kicks after I've off-balanced my opponents and I get their head/upper body down closer to my legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 1:50am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you guys see the K1-tournament last year (Las Vegas I think) that Glaube Feitosa won. His high kicks are really nice to watch, first they come up and then cut down onto the head. Sweet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 2:16am

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will kick at any angle so it hits the tender bits of my opponent. I practice to throw kicks so they can enter from any direction that is requried to penetrate the defenses. Round kicks can angle up/down/across. Sidekicks can scoop, be launched from a high knee, or even sideways with a ghost step (a sideways movement initiated by momentum from the kicking leg right before kicking).

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 2:18am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My hips are weird. My left leg can't make a good mid shot because I can't angle my hips enough, but I use it for head and leg kicks. My right, on the other hand (leg?), angles too much so I can't do head kicks, but I can get a better body hit. It's probably because I don't stretch enough...

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    2/03/2006 2:21am

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmurf
    Did you guys see the K1-tournament last year (Las Vegas I think) that Glaube Feitosa won. His high kicks are really nice to watch, first they come up and then cut down onto the head. Sweet.
    KYOKUSHIN KICK!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast