Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 222829303132 3334 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/06/2005 9:23am

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woah, this thread has been brought back out in the open. This thread is what made me join Bullshido in the first place!

Posted On:
    2/22/2005 10:54pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In David Bannon's book "Race Against Evil", (New Horizon Press, Far Hills, New Jersey, 2003) there are a number of important reoccuring characters. One is Dr. Cholkyu Kim. When we first meet the good doctor during the Summer of 1981, he is discribed as follows: "a distinguished Korean man in his mid-forties" . . . The Korean wore glasses and had an engaging habit of smoothing his tie and conservative blue suit lapel while he spoke, as though every word were from his heart." (p. 25)

"Dr. Kim explained in English with a slight Boston accent , which fitted his American Ivy League Education" (26)

After Kim and Jacques Defferre pitch Bannon to join Interpol, and fail that first time (pp. 25-28) we next meet Dr. Kim on page 72 of "Race Against Evil" where he is introduced as "director of the South Korean National Medical Center in Seoul". He spends pages 72 to 75 administering psychological test to Bannon, and generally acting like a psychiatrist though the book never actually mentions his board specialty.

The psychological exam gives us the opportunity to hear Kim tell Bannon that he was a "protector" . . ."Two percent of the male population, when given a legitimate reason or are pushed unnaturally can kill without regret. They are the protector of the innocents or a lioness,". (p. 74) Of course Bannon later has major nightmares (pp. 172-174) partially about the people he offs, and gets a nice case of post traumatic stress disorder, (p. 284) so perhaps he had to return his ability to "kill without regret" somewhere along the line.

Dr. Kim is also mentioned on page 92, 100, 186, 187, 259 (flashback), and p. 261 treating Bannon, after he was released from a North Korean Prison camp to which he had been kidnapped. The detail about Dr. Kim that is facinating is that he has a slight Boston accent "which fitted his American Ivy league education." This implies that Kim attended Harvard, most likely as an undergraduate or a medical student. Of course Kim could have always attended some other college in Boston and then gone to say, Columbia Medical School, but it appears that Bannon is strongly implying a Harvard connection. So we decided to check it out.

I asked a member of Bullshido to contact Harvard and here was his reply:

Hi Samuel!

I made a few phone calls. The Alumni Records Office (617-495-2371, I talked to a guy named Michael) stated they have no one who matches the spelling you gave. There are a couple of Kims with different first names (I asked them to check for both Kim Cholkyu and Cholkyu Kim), but none that come close in the Sixties or Seventies, apparently.

Michael transferred me to the Medical School Registrar's Office (617-432-1515, Shirley A. - apparently they don't like giving out last names), who couldn't find anyone of that spelling either. The only close miss was a Kim, Choll, who graduated in 96. You can check yourself at http://whitepages.med.harva rd.edu...umnidirecto r y

I also called the Registrar's Office for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, which is in charge of the undergrad program (617-495-1543, Deirdre). She couldn't find him in the records either and recommended giving the gentleman a call to specify when he graduated and what his degree was in ;-)

So, not surprisingly, that looks like a solid blank.

Hope that is sufficient evidence for your case. Otherwise let me know.

Cheers,

Richard Metzler

UPDATE: I then wrote Richard back and asked another question. "Since Dr. Kim Cholkyu is described as being in his mid 40s in 1981, do you think they would have discovered his name had he gone to Harvard undergrad or Med school in the 1950s? Instead of the 1960s or 1970s?"

Richard Responded:

"I believe so. For the undergrad, I included (late) 50s in the time frame of the search, and the Medical School lady said their records extend beyond the 60s."

On February 22, 2005 I (SB) also called Michael at the Alumni Records Office and had him recheck his records. Richard was right, under Kim Cholkyu and Cholkyu Kim there were no matches even going back to the 1950s. Similarly when I talked to Shirley at the Medical School Registar's office, she told me what she had also told Mr. Metzler. No one by either name had attended Harvard Medical School and her search went from at least the 1950s to the present date.

Once again I can not find any information to support a specific and substantial fact in Bannon's book

UPDATE II

If you review the post by Duck of Death below he points out that there are various ways to spell Kim Cholkyu's name. I also received two letters from Mig which I've edited together as follows.

Sam,

A couple of things you might want to keep in mind. First of all the spelling of the name Kim Cholkyu. Keep in mind his name would have been spelled like so Kim, Chol-kyu, so I doubt you will find his name listed as Cholkyu. Secondly you have to know if they had it Chol or Jol as the Korean letters Chiot and Jiot are very similar and can be interchanged when romanizing it to English. Finally and this is the most important, their could be a slight chance that records may not have shown his Korean first name. It is possible that they went with an American first name like Charlie Kim. Remember this was back in the 50's, 60's or 70's when they weren't so PC as they are now.

When it comes to romanizing the Korean language, many Koreans can't even agree. Example is Pusan, some Koreans spell it Busan because of the Piot letter in the Korean alphabet can be translated as P/B sound. Anyway, that is beside the point. I was just giving you some info as to why something may have not turned up in a search.

Just some food for thought.

The bottom line is that while Bannon is a self described expert in the Korean language and would presumably spell the name of this doctor correctly, it is possible that Kim's name (if he existed) would have been spelled differently. So my Boston inquiries have effectively reached a dead end. I can prove that an individual with the name Bannon provides did not graduate from Harvard undergrad or Harvard Medical School but I cannot prove that he does not exist because Bannon could claim that he butchered the guys name, and so he is hidden somewhere in the alumni records.

Posted On:
    2/24/2005 2:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comment on the "Cholkyu" business: Bannon refers to the Presbyterian Hospital at "Chonju" and "Chunju," interchanging the o and the u. I Googled "Cholkyu" and "Chol Kyu" and got only one hit; but when I Googled "Chulkyu" and "Chul Kyu," I got pages of hits. You might want to check out the u spelling just to cover all the bases.

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 7:29pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On pages 3-4, 6-10, 163-165, of his Book "Race Against Evil", (New Horizon Press, Far Hills, New Jersey, 2003). Bannon claims that on some unspecified date he tortured and killed a child molester named Jergens in Jergen's room in the Byron Hotel in the Bayswater section of London. Bannon describes this hotel as being near Kensington Gardens, and says that he crossed a street named Queensborough Terrace in order to reach this hotel. A map published by this hotel certainly shows this is possible. http://www.capricornhotels. co.uk/byronlocation.asp (Capricorn Hotels now owns the Byron Hotel.)

The problem is that the pictures published of this hotel by Capricorn, see http://www.capricornhotels. co.uk/byrondefault.asp seem to indicate a five story building. In his book Bannon writes "Having arrived in London, I waited in the elegant hotel lobby for the elevator to take me to Jergen's room, I then walked down the tenth floor corridor. The door was easy. Although I owned a lock-pick case, I always found a simple knock did wonders. Jergens answered the door in shorts and an over-sized V neck shirt." (pp. 6-7)

So on February 21, 2005 I gave the Byron Hotel a call. They are located at 36/38 Queensborough Terrace, Bayswater, London W2 3SH, Telephone +44 20 7243 0997 and introduced myself to Ludmina, who answered the phone. "Hello I'm Samuel Browning and I'm a researcher from Norwich Connecticut, USA who is fact checking a book. In the book it says a homicide took place at your hotel in the 1980s, I think that's rubbish but do you have a long standing employee there, who has been there since the 1980s, whom I can talk to?"

Ludmina told me that I would have to talk to the reception manager who was in from 9 am to 2 pm. I thanked her for her time and then asked. "How many floors does the Byron have?" "Five" was her prompt reply. I laughed as I hung up the phone, if Bannon committed a murder on a non-existant 10th floor he would need flying skills similar to those desplayed in the movie. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 9:05pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did "Race" Bannon find all this free time?

Shouldn't he have been protecting Johnny, Benton, and Hadji?

Maybe Bandit helped a little but still!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2005 9:17pm

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to admit:
    Amongst all the threads I have ever found here - and I have read abit, dont just go by postcount - this has to one of the most pure bits of investigative m.a. forum work I have ever seen.

I read the KFu article that started it all -- and felt like someone was attempting to write the next BloodSport script as noted earlier in this section.

The research that follows in the next pages....is simply awesome.
    Kudos to all involved - and Mr. Browning has set the bar for Bullshido investigation quite high.
    I will be interested to read whatever follows - but frankly, its like kicking a dead horse. The point of doubt has been well established .I have read enough to feel that 'Race' Bannon is the illegitimate son and heir to the throne of F. Dux.

Actually, it might be an enjoyable diversion to read this book - I dont have time for fiction though. Alot of unreported shadowy **** goes on below the radar, around the world. The 'slave trade' is a real thing....and the recent tsunami has provided for many new victims of this ****. I work in Corrections, and years ago, I worked with a small group of vietnamese - a gang known as BTK, 'Born To Kill'; and more recently - members of the Russian 'mafia'...they run the gamut of criminal activity (though they are rather easier to deal with than Bloods, Lat. Kings, Crips and such). The earlier mentioned ones had/have a fist into 'organized prostitution' which actually amounts to a sex-slave trade, in and around America.

There may be no 'Interpol sub-directorate Archangel' -- but these women and children sure could use one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2005 8:22pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    On pages 3-4, 6-10, 163-165, of his Book "Race Against Evil", (New Horizon Press, Far Hills, New Jersey, 2003). Bannon claims that on some unspecified date he tortured and killed a child molester named Jergens in Jergen's room in the Byron Hotel in the Bayswater section of London. Bannon describes this hotel as being near Kensington Gardens, and says that he crossed a street named Queensborough Terrace in order to reach this hotel. A map published by this hotel certainly shows this is possible. http://www.capricornhotels. co.uk/byronlocation.asp (Capricorn Hotels now owns the Byron Hotel.)

The problem is that the pictures published of this hotel by Capricorn, see http://www.capricornhotels. co.uk/byrondefault.asp seem to indicate a five story building. In his book Bannon writes "Having arrived in London, I waited in the elegant hotel lobby for the elevator to take me to Jergen's room, I then walked down the tenth floor corridor. The door was easy. Although I owned a lock-pick case, I always found a simple knock did wonders. Jergens answered the door in shorts and an over-sized V neck shirt." (pp. 6-7)

So on February 21, 2005 I gave the Byron Hotel a call. They are located at 36/38 Queensborough Terrace, Bayswater, London W2 3SH, Telephone +44 20 7243 0997 and introduced myself to Ludmina, who answered the phone. "Hello I'm Samuel Browning and I'm a researcher from Norwich Connecticut, USA who is fact checking a book. In the book it says a homicide took place at your hotel in the 1980s, I think that's rubbish but do you have a long standing employee there, who has been there since the 1980s, whom I can talk to?"

Ludmina told me that I would have to talk to the reception manager who was in from 9 am to 2 pm. I thanked her for her time and then asked. "How many floors does the Byron have?" "Five" was her prompt reply. I laughed as I hung up the phone, if Bannon committed a murder on a non-existant 10th floor he would need flying skills similar to those desplayed in the movie. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
    Heheheheh.....
    :new_rainb

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2005 10:09pm

Style: Hwardo-Judo,TKD,HK,KB,KF+

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    if Bannon committed a murder on a non-existant 10th floor he would need flying skills similar to those desplayed in the movie. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

That would be some fight if they ever landed.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/14/2005 2:00am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note how the molester is named "Jergens".
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    3/25/2005 10:04pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liuzg150181
    A reply from the dean of National University of Singapore:
    "As you have pointed out in your message, Chiu Hse Yu is not a faculty member of the NUS law school and we have never had any such person on staff.
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 11:06 AM
    To: Tan Cheng Han (Dean, Law)
    Subject: A Special Request from an NUS undergrad

Dear Assoc Prof TAN Cheng Han,

My name is (my real name) and I am an undergraduate(School of Computing) here at Singapore National University. I am making a request to confirm some information on behalf of an American friend, Samuel Browning. He is an attorney in Norwich, Connecticut, USA. If you are interested in doing so, his professional credentials can be verified by going to the link provided below (just type “Browning”):

http://www.jud2.state.ct.us/Civil_Inquiry/GetAtty.asp

The request which my friend and I would like to make is related to our investigation of an article entitled “Interpol’s Secret Army” which is in the E-Newsletter attached to the e-mail. One particular issue among many, leads me to write you.

One of the co-authors, Chiu Hse Yu is alleged to have a Ph.D and to be a lecturer in law at NUS. It appears that she is not a lecturer this year, based on the NUS website and the admin staff I have approached. After searching the internet we have discovered she actually used to be a lecturer at SMU though she had since gone to the University of Leicester England. Additionally, she was not the author of “Punishment in Response to Harm” (in fact another lecturer in SMU is the author of a journal article by this name). When Samuel e-mailed her to make inquiries she replied that she never co-authored that article. Worse still she did not even know Jason Putman nor David Bannon, and it is likely that this is a case of identity theft.

The link below is the thread regarding the investigation:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...5&pagenumber=14

However, Samuel Browning and I would like to make sure that the “Chiu Hse Yu” which supposedly had co-authored the newspaper article “Interpol’s Secret Army” is the same person whom Samuel had contacted, therefore we sincerely would request your assistance in three aspects. First we would like to know if there has been lecturer in the NUS law faculty known “Chiu Hse Yu” since 2000 and if she does exist, we would like to request her last known professional address. Secondly, we would like to know if there is any way which we could check how many lawyers with the name “Chiu Hse Yu” are licensed in Singapore. Could you please refer us to the appropriate government agency that registers lawyers? Finally we would be interested to find out how many people named Chiu Hse Yu have graduated from our University's law school and their graduation dates. Is NUS the only law school in Singapore, and if it is not could you please tell us the names of any other such accredited institutions?

Thanks for taking time to read my e-mail and for addressing these concerns.

Sincerely,
    (my name)"
    Just to double check I wrote an additional letter to the President of the National University of Singapore, Shih Choon Fong.

I just received a letter back from the dean of the law school which reads as follows. I

"Dear Mr. Browning:

I refer to your letter of 14 February 2005 to President Shih Choon Fong.

There is no Chiu Hse Yu who is a member of the teaching staff at the NUS law school nor, to the best of my knowledge, is she employed by any other department within NUS.

Yours sincerely,

Professor Tan Cheng Han, S.C.
    Dean"

This issue is relevant because Jason Putman co-wrote an article called "Interpol's Secret Army" with a Chiu Hse Yu who was supposedly a lecturer in law at NUS. The only professor we were able to find with this name was teaching at a different university in Singapore and denys ever writing any articles with Mr. Putman. I will be therefore writing Mr. Putman asking for him to explain this discrepancy. :)