Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 6:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

2 hrs a week?

My TKD class only meets once a week, for about 2 hours. We train quite hard but by the time the next class rolls around, much of what I leaned has gone. I know you are told to train on your own but its hard to keep motivated when there's no one there to keep you right.

I'm disillusioned with this and I feel that to really benefit from training, 1 session a week is not enough and a waste of money. The instructor is good but expensive compared to other local MAs

comments appreciated :headbang:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 6:53am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    training 2 hours per week is not enough if you want to be good, but it is better then nothing, I wouls suggest you talk to your instructor and class mates, maybe you could figure out a way of increasing the number of classes per week.

In any case you should be training by yourself, striking MA are allways easier to train alone, get yourself a heavy bag and kick the crap out of it, go run, do push ups, pull ups, etc...
    keep conditioning yourself if you cant do anything else, it will improve your performance in class.

Try to get someone to do this with you so you have company, its hareder to do it alone, but it can be done.

Good luck with that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:02am

Style: TKD,MuayThai,Boxing,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm,which country are you from?I am from singapore and my class train 1-5 times a week.( You can come anyday you want .)Its 1 1/2 hr per session and i attend my school tkd too ( 3 hrs / week ).My old TKD class was only 1 1/2 hr per week and it cost $35 for 12 lessons ( pretty cheap if you ask me )But now my current TKD class is free ( Only need to pay for grading and belt fees ) and its from monday - friday.I usually attend on tuesday and thursday plus my school's TKD which is on wednesday.. around 6 hrs / week.My school did lots of sparring unlike my TKD classes at community centre...which did patterns ( or forms ) and kicking at target all day long.I often practice privately with a few friends of mine ( All 1st-2nd Dan black belt ) because i felt tat 6 hrs / week is too little.May i know how much is your lesson?

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:14am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ellroy, you are right to be concerned. Expensive training that only is available once a week will hinder your progress even more than choosing a bad style. Where abouts are you located? What do you want form an MA?

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop doing Tae Kwon Do. Take something else with more classes per week.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:26am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would personally either train at another place at the same time, or quit and find somewhere else altogether.

at the moment i train 6 hours a week minimum and visit a friend who i go over stuff with in between sessions.

('._.)

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:36am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A guy who trains every day for a year is usually better than someone who trains 1-2 a week for 3 years or even more.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:39am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ellroy
    My TKD class only meets once a week, for about 2 hours. We train quite hard but by the time the next class rolls around, much of what I leaned has gone. I know you are told to train on your own but its hard to keep motivated when there's no one there to keep you right.

I'm disillusioned with this and I feel that to really benefit from training, 1 session a week is not enough and a waste of money. The instructor is good but expensive compared to other local MAs

comments appreciated :headbang:
    What area do you live in?

It's often easy to find another school that meets more times a week. Not to mention that TKD often has this problem of being a McDojo and sucking money out of you.

I don't know how you train either so I can't comment on whether or not the training is worth it or not.

Perhaps you can tell us your training program?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:55am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    train on your own

martial arts classes are exactly that, classes.

you then have to practice on your own, or with a study partner the things you learned in class. asides from the very begining you don't need the supervision a class provides, though the occassional correction is always appreciated.

i see no problem with 2 hours a week of class, and then spending several more hours on your own working on kata, heavy bag work, shadow boxing, as well as partner drills/sparring.

I currently teach a class, and I can tell who has been practicing on their own, and who hasn't as well as who is doing cardio/strength training outside.

guess who improves quicker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:15am

Style: BJJ/Boxing/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beyond what everyone else said, try picking up another martial art that won't interfere with your schedule. TKD once a week, and maybe some judo or what have you 2 more times or so.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast