Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Gi Washing?

You secure that **** Hudson!! supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gi Washing?

Just got a new Atama blue single weave gi which I really like and the material was quite good - 100% cotton so it was pretty comfortable. Anyway, after class on Monday night it was drenched so I washed it when I got home - machine wash, cold water by itself etc.

After it dried i've noticed that it is quite a lot stiffer and not as comfortable. What do you guys recommend when washing? Adding fabric softener, less detergent?

I know some of you dirty turds probably never wash them but I do like to have that "Fresh as a daisy" feeling when rolling.

:toothy4: :qmickey:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a single weave white Judo gi and I train outdoors, which means grass & dirt stains. When training BJJ indoors during the Australian summer in a gym with no air con, you get some serious sweat in your gi, both yours and your training partners. (can't wait for winter) I use a cold wash, with powder containing enzymes to break up grass stains. I don't use fabric softner as my gi doesn't seem to harden after washing. Ensure that you use cold water as warm/hot water will shrink your gi (unless the manufacturer states otherwise).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't use fabric softner. It will reduce the fabric's ability to absorb sweat. It'll soften up by itself after a few weeks of good training.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it, as porrig said once you've put it on and rolled around a bit, it's all fine?

It's not like you're dressing up to go out.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Porrig
    Don't use fabric softner. It will reduce the fabric's ability to absorb sweat.
    Please elaborate... Is this a fact?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the best of my knowledge, yes. Fabric softeners will adhere to fabric, making it feel softer and reducing static build-up. But this coating also reduces the fabric's ability to absorb moisture.
    Last edited by Porrig; 2/01/2006 8:24am at .

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But it smells so nice?!?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Atama sent me washing instructions with my blue gold weave but I lost them long ago. I find machine wash and machine dry is fine. Hang-drying leaves the gi stiffer somehow but I never notice once I'm in class.

Just pray the drawstring in the pants doesn't get twisted; mine did and I haven't gotten around to re-running it so I can actually tighten the waist again.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love the stiff, grity feelings of a hang-dried gi. Watching my opponent wince as I tear my gi out of his grip and he loses skin off his knuckles is priceless.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha. You're like the epitome of every bastard I've ever trained with. I love it ^^
    More human than human is our motto.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last