Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:31am

Style: TKD, HKD, Judo n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Other low kicks

I think it's pretty much agreed upon that most of the time, if your gonna kick, kick low or maybe midsection. However, it seems like everybody that kicks low only uses the roundhouse. From my experience, it seems like even if it doesn't hit the person, low front kicks & instep kicks (aiming towards the shin) work well at keeping them away till your ready to close. Also, a couple of times in close, I've been able to stagger & charlie-horse the person w/ a heel kick to the calf. Does anybody else work with these or other low kicks? Or is there a good reason why 99% percent of low kicks are rounds?

Just wondering

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrowbarMan
    I think it's pretty much agreed upon that most of the time, if your gonna kick, kick low or maybe midsection. However, it seems like everybody that kicks low only uses the roundhouse. From my experience, it seems like even if it doesn't hit the person, low front kicks & instep kicks (aiming towards the shin) work well at keeping them away till your ready to close. Also, a couple of times in close, I've been able to stagger & charlie-horse the person w/ a heel kick to the calf. Does anybody else work with these or other low kicks? Or is there a good reason why 99% percent of low kicks are rounds?

Just wondering

How Do Low Kick ?

Spar some ... thinks about your sparing ... review your sparing tape . Then tell us why a good number of kicks are rounds ...

*edit*
    Though personal I throw alot of front kicks , chicken kicks , and push kicks along with my rounds ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my experience, it seems like even if it doesn't hit the person, low front kicks & instep kicks (aiming towards the shin) work well at keeping them away till your ready to close.
    Could be. What do you mean by an "instep kick" though?

Also, a couple of times in close, I've been able to stagger & charlie-horse the person w/ a heel kick to the calf. Does anybody else work with these or other low kicks? Or is there a good reason why 99% percent of low kicks are rounds?

Just wondering
    My guess is that round kicks are trained most by the people you comonly see doing them.
    We are surrounded by warships and dont have time to talk. Please pray for us. One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 11:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry bout being so vague...what I'm calling an instep kick is something we do at our school...leg/foot motion is almost like the blocking ankle throw in judo, where the arch/instep of your foot blocks low on their shin/high on the ankle...except it's done with a lot more driving force

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry bout being so vague...what I'm calling an instep kick is something we do at our school...leg/foot motion is almost like the blocking ankle throw in judo, where the arch/instep of your foot blocks low on their shin/high on the ankle...except it's done with a lot more driving force
    arch = arch

instep=top near ankle

I think you mean what we call a chicken kick ... and the contact point on that kick should be much closer to , if not the heel itself ... not the middle of arch ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can certainly throw snapping frontkicks under and into the kneecaps, but then you're just a dick. We have an old crazy guy in the Karate class who does it.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not the deadly knee kick!!
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *sigh...head in hands* I wasn't implying "t3h d34dly" knee kick.....'just a back the **** off' kick to the shin, maybe as the thigh.....and good luck in your first match, kid

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    throwing a teep into the top of someones leg is a pretty common technique in some places. real common in savate, seen it end fights. can be tricky to practice with in sparring because of the chance of smacking out someones knee.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/09/2006 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    throwing a teep into the top of someones leg is a pretty common technique in some places. real common in savate, seen it end fights. can be tricky to practice with in sparring because of the chance of smacking out someones knee.

We've practiced this kick in my thai class and I was simply unable to generate any force with the kick because it always turns into that awkward wing chun-esque oblique kick...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast