232730 Bullies, 3650 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Striking "alive"

I've really come to enjoy Thorntons ramblings about "aliveness" and such, but I must ask for those of you that train AND teach in such a fashion, how do you execute proper resistance in striking when it comes to head shots? After all the only true way to see how a static technique with multiple punches/elbows to the head would work save being in a real fight would be to train with a resisting partner, but how to do this with lower ranks?

For myself, I am a blackbelt, and I train how I train so that is not the problem. I've utilized the theories in the said technique and executed it perfectly on a training partner fighting me full contact.

To clarify the move goes as follows: Shuffle forward with a jab off the right hand, quick cross with the left, then roundhouse kick outside the thigh to drop the guard a bit, then hook punch the head with the right (shuffling if necessary).

Of course I could break the technique down into pieces, but then that is just basics and they aren't learning how to combo their strikes properly.

Any thoughts?

edit* in case I didn't make it clear, I want to have at least my intermediate ranks training with heavy resistance but I don't want to be scaring off students with concussions and such.
    Last edited by Ke?poFist; 1/31/2006 11:06pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 11:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not really sure why "lower ranks" is an issue. Give them some headgear and 16oz gloves and stick them with someone who's experienced and knows a bit of self control and have them go at it. I don't see why sparring, even for beginners, is problematic.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 11:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, teach 'em the basics and let them spar. Keep tabs on their mistakes and correct them while they train. If they drop their guard, let them know with a jab to the face. Aliveness involves sparring. Point blank.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 11:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thats pretty much what we do. few months and throw them in with some gloves, headgear and a goofy look on their face when they get pwnt

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 12:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Im not really sure why "lower ranks" is an issue. Give them some headgear and 16oz gloves and stick them with someone who's experienced and knows a bit of self control and have them go at it. I don't see why sparring, even for beginners, is problematic.
    Well here's precisely where the problem lies. I have no problem getting punched in the face. Heck it's my job. Too bad not all of my students feel the same way. Some of them do, and they come down to a fight class we have after hours where we pretty much just do free-form sparring/submission fighting until we're too tired or hurt to keep going.

I just refuse to let my school go McDojo while I'm still running classes.

Anyway, there now exists a gap between static application of the technique, resisting application of the technique, and real application. If you land a punch square on someones face, they stumble back a step or two. Now if the technique works along those premises to set up for the next strike how am I to replicate that in a classroom setting without breaking someones face?

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 12:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well with further thought on this matter, I suppose I could get them to cover with their guard and just "act" by walking backwards a step or two but that's not really the same.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 12:20am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Well here's precisely where the problem lies. I have no problem getting punched in the face. Heck it's my job. Too bad not all of my students feel the same way. Some of them do, and they come down to a fight class we have after hours where we pretty much just do free-form sparring/submission fighting until we're too tired or hurt to keep going.

I just refuse to let my school go McDojo while I'm still running classes.

Anyway, there now exists a gap between static application of the technique, resisting application of the technique, and real application. If you land a punch square on someones face, they stumble back a step or two. Now if the technique works along those premises to set up for the next strike how am I to replicate that in a classroom setting without breaking someones face?
    if they're too ***** to spar, they need to find a new hobby. Put them in the ring with someone that's not gonna turn their face into hamburger and it will more than likely get them unafraid of sparring.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 12:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    if they're too ***** to spar, they need to find a new hobby. Put them in the ring with someone that's not gonna turn their face into hamburger and it will more than likely get them unafraid of sparring.
    Well my only problem with that line of logic is that this isn't a ring fighting school. I suppose you could say I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too.

Basically I'm caught at the moment with the responsibility of teaching the actual system to my students, but I also find it my responsibility to make sure each of them leaves here capable of fighting, and as anyone knows memorizing a set of techniques and drills doesn't make you capable alone.

The students at my school range from small children, to the middle aged trying to get back in shape, to TMArtists cross training, to BJJ and Judo guys cross training because of the reputation my Sensei built for the place. Quite a broad cross-section, and the average person who wants to learn a few "self defense" moves, isn't going to be so pleased going home with a black eye.

Regardless though, I've given it some thought and I think I have the solution to my problem. I'm just gonna pair up those that aren't exactly able to go full-contact with each other, and have them work lighter drills and give my more agressive guys some drills with a bit more contact. I would like very much to have a universal standard for my school in regards to belt qualifications, but at the moment it's not my place to impose such a rule. I guess I'll just enjoy whatever time I have left here, and once I finish up with school and get a real job the place will go the way of the fast food TKD. :sad:

thanks for your input.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 12:50am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could buy some head gear with either a full face mask or a clear plastic shield. That would give them the experience of being punched in the face, without the nasty side effects of a bloody nose or black eyes.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tell them to buy some headgear. if they cant afford it then tell them to continue being fucking pansies.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast