Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 5:50pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    finally found the quote i was looking for...

Use progressive resistence. There is no need to go balls out very often. In fact There is a false idea out there that effective training needs to be rough and brutal, and like so many ideas that too is backwards.

God has spoken woe to all heretics and non believers... i declare Jihad!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    finally found the quote i was looking for...

Use progressive resistence. There is no need to go balls out very often. In fact There is a false idea out there that effective training needs to be rough and brutal, and like so many ideas that too is backwards.

God has spoken woe to all heretics and non believers... i declare Jihad!
    You should doing stand up hard enough to want to wear a mouth peice and some sort of gloves if it involves striking and head shots . The closer to real you get weather it be the ring or the streets ... the better prepared you will be .

Use common sense and reason before you post a "too deadly , weapons , stomping on faces , broken glass , lava , multiple killers blind siding you , or concrete is hard " type reactions . You should be training safely but as close to what you really want to use your Art for as you can .

If its self defense then you should be getting used to avoiding , redirecting and obsorbing unscripted , full force , (and in most self defense situations unseen ) attacks .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Is it a continuous phenomenon though?

If you define "sparring" based on the level of resistance, contact, and intent/aliveness, then there is a clear line where drilling/whatever ends and sparring begins.
    Where?

There are only so many things you can do to prepare for a fight, and some are better than others.
    Nonsequitor

It's important to define terms and draw clear distinctions between them in order to identify what's good, and what isn't.

So I'm not sure what you mean. Have the methods for training for a fight changed that much in recorded human history to render invalid any attempts to define terms?
    This is a red herring or a strawman. I forget.

Short of plugging your head into a database of fight techniques ala the Matrix, there's not much that's changed in the process. You prepare for a fight by approximating the movements needed to win at various levels of contact with various levels of resistance.
    Various and various?
    What? Like along a continuum?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, lest ye forget:
    9 times out of 10, CMA's suck.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol@umpalumpa.

btw,

The end product of that slappy shitty non-hard core sparring. (Tim is the guy on top.)
    http://homepage.mac.com/mancheta/.Mo...a6%20throw.mov

But that's ok. Stick with the dogma. It's working for y'all.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:56pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    Where?

Various and various?
    What? Like along a continuum?
    I just fail to get why you think there's no benefit in defining terms. I could draw a chart, but what's the point of that?

And please tell me how the statement about a limited number of things you can do to successfully prepare for a fight does not follow the discussion. It's directly related... you're either doing something right, or wrong (oh wait, false dichotomy)... on a sliding scale of efficiency.

Fighting is a fairly simple athletic activity if you break it down into its root components. As with any other skill, the best way to get good at it by practicing it, over and over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:53pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    A lot of what we do around here involves defining/redefining terms in order to facilitate objective, clear discussion on the subjects. There is so much bullshit lurking in gray areas in the Martial Arts that it's imperitive that we set a clear understanding of what is what.

There is a difference between demoing, drilling, and sparring. That difference is primarily determined by the level of intensity based on contact and/or resistance.

A demo has no resistance and a variable level of contact.

Drilling may have varying levels of both, but in a set format (as in, "do not progress beyond point X").

Sparring needs to be explicitly defined as full resistance with a significant amount of contact (enough to provide realistic consequences for making mistakes/leaving openings).

Without these clear distinctions, there is "wiggle room" for people to make excuses for using substandard/suboptimal/less than effective training practices and presenting them as on the same footing as good and efficient practices.

So lets define the terms. Along with the copious amounts of FAQs, why not include the definition of the terminology? That way when someone redefines the terminology, you can simply refer to the Terminology Index.

If you look at every argument on this forum, it generally boils down to a difference in the definition of a particular term. Take that away by providing a framework just like you would utilize technical jargon in a business place. Therefore, people will be held accountable for what they have said since there will be no equivocation or ambiguity in definition.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:22pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love that. Let's start by defining "sparring".

Thoughts?

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isolation sparring is where I tell someone that they can only use jab and cross, and their sparring partner can only use hooks. It's simple; you isolate, then you spar. Isolation Sparring :V
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only a terms FAQ, but also, an article, disclaimer or editorial explaining in detail this site's mission and the general consensus over here would be good too.

Funny thing with "sparring", it is hard to find a nifty definiton to start working with:

http://www.answerbag.com/glossary.php/440

Sparring means training with another person using actual blows
    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/sparring

making the motions of attack and defense with the fists and arms; a part of training for a boxer
    Im not good at making definitions, but Ill give it a try:

Sparring: A training protocol in martial arts and combat sports which consist in the actual and no predetermined exchange of blows and/or application of grappling techniques under a determined ruleset with a variable level of contact and with the intent of succed in said application. Its purpose is to test and develop fighting skills in a no-compliant environment.

Well, at least is something to start with.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast