223965 Bullies, 4047 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:52pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    all relative phrost... a matter of degree's... if its not 'hot' enough for you feel free to turn up the heat... but some people prefer a more comfortable climate and an occasional visit to the steam room...
    It's not all relative. X is not Y, Y is not Z.

If it's under a certain level of intensity it's not sparring.

You could change your last name to Fujita but that won't make you Japanese.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:55pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think it basically comes down to what you mean when you say drills/spar/fight...
    if you want to call light resistance slow practice drills okay by me... we train high resistance fast at the end of class too... i call most of it sparring, regardless of the intensity...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who decides what level of intensity is what... the International Sparring Board??? just a matter of degrees...

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikiZenDragon
    who decides what level of intensity is what... the International Sparring Board??? just a matter of degrees...
    People who really learn how to punch and kick; ie, not Aikidokas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can assure you i do know how to punch and kick, in spite of the fact that i practice aikido...

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? How much punching and kicking training do you do each week and with who?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who doesn't really matter you wouldn't know them... i usually train 3-4 days a week 2-3 hours a session... how that breaks down well i dunno some nights we just grapple sometimes we just do stand up...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed the clip.

It reminded me of chi sao.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's just MT and GJJ, not my aikido, which is just as hard...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:28pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring is a form of training common to many martial arts. Although the precise form varies, it is relatively free-form fighting, with enough rules, customs, or agreements to make injuries unlikely. By extension, argumentative debate is sometimes called "verbal sparring".

The physical nature of sparring naturally varies with the nature of the skills it is intended to develop; sparring in a striking art such as Savate will normally begin with the players at opposite corners of a ring and will be stopped if they clinch. Sparring in a grappling art such as judo might begin with the partners holding one another and end if they separate.

The organization of sparring matches also varies. If the participants know each other well and are friendly, it may be sufficient for them to simply play, without rules, referee, or timer. If the sparring is between strangers, or there is some emotional tension, or the sparring is being evaluated, it may be appropriate to introduce formal rules and have an experienced martial artist supervise the match.

Sparring is normally distinct from fights in competition. The goal of sparring is normally the education of the participants, while a competitive fight seeks to determine a winner.

The educational role of sparring is a matter of some debate. In any sparring match, precautions of some sort must be taken to protect the participants. These may include wearing protective gear, declaring certain techniques and targets off-limits, playing slowly or at a fixed speed, forbidding certain kinds of trickery, or one of many other possibilities. These precautions have the potential to change the nature of the skill that is being learned. For example, if one were to always spar with heavily padded gloves, one might come to rely on techniques that risk breaking bones in one's hand. Most schools recognize this problem but value sparring nonetheless because it forces the student to improvise, to think under pressure, and to keep their emotions under control.

Sparring has different names and different forms in various schools. Some schools prefer not to call it sparring, as they feel it differs in kind from what is normally called sparring.

-Wikipedia

I'm conceding the following:

-wikipedia entries are agreed upon by mass opinion, not utter fact, in some cases... but the dictionary gives no description of sparring that would suit the needs of this argument.

-most aikido, from where i'm standing, is total bullshido

-Phrost isn't someone to lecture to about "alive" training

-if thats how that school always spars, then they are also bullshido.

But i think it's possible to "spar" at a slow pace for the sake of learning and still have it be called sparring... although once the techniques are learned, they should be used in full out sparring, too. Like the entry says, you learn bad habits when you spar with shitty rules all the time. Oh, semantics!

just adding fuel to the flames :suicide:
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast