Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:53am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    I still want to know about the healing aspects. What specific drills, exercises, rituals, etc are used for healing? Does it involve chemistry (botanical or man-made) or energy exchange at all?

Now I also want to know about its Dim Mak. What are the names of some of the Dim Mak techniques and what nerves do they work on approximately?
    Hatha yoga and massage are incorporated into it. Some schools use Ayurvedic medicine, but my teacher doesn't. Ditto "dim mak" or whatever, though there are supposed to be pressure point techniques. Good Kalaripiyat form seems to require exceptional flexibility -- at minimum, what you see in an accomplished yoga practitioner.
    Last edited by eyebeams; 2/01/2006 8:09am at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    What's funny about that comment is that thuggery was an Indian art of strangulation!
    Thats THUGEE :ninja2:
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:05am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by infenix
    The thing about Kalari (not to exclude others, but that's what the thread is about) is it is an ancient (not just 300 years or whatever), fully developed martial art with integrated health and healing practice.
    There arts I mentioned predate Kalari and incorporate the same thing and those arts are still alive today. Which still goes with what I said earlier that every culture develop such things.

The muppet who said that healing has nothing to do with MA is a Grade A example of what I call thuggery in MA attitudes: blinkered, shallow, full of ****. I differentiate it from Art.
    Then you are mistaken. Healing and MA were always seen as mutually exclusive. ART as it refers to MARTIAL ARTS simply means SKILL.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:13am

Style: HSR, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    of course, Kalaripayattu is not all about effectiveness. Just check out this image produced by a ten-second Google Image search:

And one of the unarmed component:

As you can see, there's a considerable stylistic component in addition to any practical elements it may possess.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:21am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and I mean cmon... dim mak? Nerve attacks blow...

:)

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:09am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by porky
    hie, i m very new to martial arts, and by gods grace ive managed to find a forum like this, places like this keep the art pure,

i was wondering if anyone here, at all, has any resources for Kalllaripayyat, training videos, or manuals or something!

thanks

p.s could you also please post other resources forums or good Training video stores for me....... thank you.
    translation

Hello I'm just looking at getting into MA, and have chosen an obscure art because of my heritage. While I have little to no knowledge of Kallaripayyat, or any other MA, I would like to argue the fine points of why it is superior to any other art I haven't studied. Based on my lack of knowledge, I wish to engage in a debate with people who have 10-20 years of varied experience, and correct them in their ignorance. So if anyone can help me find any resources, I would appreciate it, as long as you don't try to change my mind that the obscure art I wish to learn is superior to the many other arts I have never studied.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:33am

Style: Southern Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Locu5, yeah the healing is all done with rays coming out of the hands.

Askari, I have that book but never registered Kalari was in there. I might dig it out and have a look see. I would expect to see it for sale through the BBC shop rather than Amazon, if it's still in print.

Asia, when you mentioned other, older arts, I assumed you were talking about Indian arts.

Regarding healing, I can't accept your definition of Art because it fails to acknowledge important theoretical and practical aspects embedded in a lot of old styles. In such styles, the healing informs the fighting, and vice versa. If you disagree, it's not because I'm wrong...

Rgds,
    David

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:47am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Infenis,
    If you know of a place I can buy Josette D. Normandeau's book, let me know. I only had a chance to flip through the only copy I have ever seen at a book store. It gave some great historical context to a wide veriety of arts, the copy I saw was published in french though.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate sarcasm as much as the next guy, really. But in all seriousness what specifically are the healing practices?

Can you elaborate on "the healing informs the fighting"?

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 11:53am

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Infenis,
    If you know of a place I can buy Josette D. Normandeau's book, let me know. I only had a chance to flip through the only copy I have ever seen at a book store. It gave some great historical context to a wide veriety of arts, the copy I saw was published in french though.
    There is a copy of the book at the Cumberland library, as well there are 4 copies availble for sale at abe.com. All of these are in French. As well the DVDs from the series are available at budovideos.com.

The Wrestler's Body by Joseph S. Alter is a book written by an anthropolgist about Northern Indian wrestling arts that will probably have a lot of similarities to Kallaripayat. parts of it are available on line, or Askari, if you prefer you can borrow my copy.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast