Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 3:18am

Style: Southern Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was half cut last night so I accept the criticism and heads-up, mostly. Except for the don't-give-a-****-about-the-past monkeys - who should shoot themselves before they dumb us all down.

The thing about Kalari (not to exclude others, but that's what the thread is about) is it is an ancient (not just 300 years or whatever), fully developed martial art with integrated health and healing practice. The muppet who said that healing has nothing to do with MA is a Grade A example of what I call thuggery in MA attitudes: blinkered, shallow, full of ****. I differentiate it from Art.

Rgds,
    David

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 5:37am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So do the healing practices involve energy work?

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 5:59am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My own teacher studied it in India and incorprates its drills into our kung fu. The elements I've been exposed to are extremely physically challenging. One of the wierder aspects of it is that you use your heel as the balance point iwhere many arts would use the ball of your foot. Most of what he learned apeared to be walking drills (at least, that's what he demonstrated at a demo a few years ago). I have no idea about application, but it's definitely great stuff for general conditioning, coordination and balance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 6:39am

Style: training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah Kallari has all aspects in it, Healing, Spiritual, Coordination and so on, i dont know about Yoga, but it probably does,
    its quite a deadly art. where theres some Dim Mak aspects, where they use Nerves to paralyse or cripple their opponents.

when it comes to weaponry, its a bit outdated, well who uses a Mace these days.......but its still something that cannot be learned in a year, infact its something that people start learning by the age of 8 or 9.....and are left there for like years and years........

i hope someone who has the capacity is able to trully learn this art. and make it something known............... there are some texts that still remain......those are the

Rangabhyasam
    Ayudhabhyasam
    Kalarividya
    Marma Chikitsa
    Marma Sasthra Peedhika
    Marma Samacharam
    Marma Chaari

please let me know if anyone is able to get a hold of these texts translated in english..
    rivetrenuck@gmail.com

thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:20am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    infact its something that people start learning by the age of 8 or 9.....and are left there for like years and years........
    Like every other martial art

About the rest, ok I realise you are new to martial arts and all types of combat sports, I also understand your Indian so your biased, but think with me for a second, there is this martial art, that is basically all martial arts in one, with every aspect in it, and even some things that are not even a martial art ?
    Do you really think that is possible ?

For starters some martial arts have strategies, principles etc that contradict other martial arts, so thats a flaw right there.

It is simply not possible to have everything in one single martial art, that is why MMA isn't considered a martial art.

I think this is like the "oh but my martial art has *insert technique here* I unlocked the secret in the kata and its there"

PS:I was trying to find a Fantasy Warrior Comic to ilustrate this but its too confusing, all I can see is the last one, the number 17 I believe

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by infenix
    Was half cut last night so I accept the criticism and heads-up, mostly. Except for the don't-give-a-****-about-the-past monkeys - who should shoot themselves before they dumb us all down.

The thing about Kalari (not to exclude others, but that's what the thread is about) is it is an ancient (not just 300 years or whatever), fully developed martial art with integrated health and healing practice. The muppet who said that healing has nothing to do with MA is a Grade A example of what I call thuggery in MA attitudes: blinkered, shallow, full of ****. I differentiate it from Art.

Rgds,
    David
    I would imagine that their 'health and healing' components are every bit as functional and effective as their fighting methods.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:27am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out that site and they have some cool stuff, I saw at least a RNC and a sumi gaeshi.

But having everything every martial art ever did incorporated in it is just silly...

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:32am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still want to know about the healing aspects. What specific drills, exercises, rituals, etc are used for healing? Does it involve chemistry (botanical or man-made) or energy exchange at all?

Now I also want to know about its Dim Mak. What are the names of some of the Dim Mak techniques and what nerves do they work on approximately?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:42am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locu5
    I still want to know about the healing aspects. What specific drills, exercises, rituals, etc are used for healing? Does it involve chemistry (botanical or man-made) or energy exchange at all?
    I'm sure the 'health and healing' is the same as you get from yoga. As someone with back problems that were lessened by yoga I can personally vouch for those healing powers.

Or those of any other good stretching and strength program.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 7:49am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine travelled to India and trained Kalarrypiattu there for a year. Very beautifull martial art. The weapons use that he learned was very interesting.

If you have the time to make a trip like that you will have the opportunity to learn something amazing.

The book and TV series "Way of the Warrior" by Howard Reid and Michael Croucher has a section on Kalarrypiat. I havent seen a copy of this series for sale in years, but it covered a lot of traditional arts very well. As well the television show "Deadly Arts" and the accompanying book by Josette D. Normandeau. I have only seen the book by Normandeau once in a book store and never found it only so if anyone finds it I'd appreciate a link.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast