Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 4:04am

Style: training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kallaripayyat

hie, i m very new to martial arts, and by gods grace ive managed to find a forum like this, places like this keep the art pure,

in any case, i m no pro martial artist, infact i drink alot and am pot belleyed, but i m training in the gym now,

anyways, i m very interested in Kallaripayyat and Capoiera, but unlike Kallaripayyat, Capoiera is very well known,

i was wondering if anyone here, at all, has any resources for Kalllaripayyat, training videos, or manuals or something!

thanks

p.s could you also please post other resources forums or good Training video stores for me....... thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 4:16am

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go do jujutsu or judo or even yes AIKIDO! you won't find kalaripayit in the US, and if you do it is probably bullshit... books or videos are also likely to be a rip off... kalaripayit is a traditional Indian martial art and is not any kind of orthodox 'organization' individual teachers teach usually in their village to locals... if you really want to study go to india...

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:27am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious, how do people find out about these really rare arts and what draws them to them over arts that you can find in your home town? Is it because it is so original that you want to try it, or that it is so rare you think it will be cool to tell people you train in it?

I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm just asking how people come to decide they want to train in uber_rare_art_01

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 9:38am

Style: Xinyi Liuhe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.kalarippayatt.co.uk

Paul Whitrod (UK) - some photos and even a couple of training clips, I think.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kalaripayit

Kalaripayit is an ancient Indian martial art that uses pressure*point strikes, yoga stretching and venous strangely shaped weapons. Its name literally means "battlefield training." Many researchers theorize that it was the basis upon which the Chinese martial arts developed because they contend that Bodhidharma, the Chinese Buddhist monk who taught at Shaolin Temple, would have learned kalaripayit in India and transplanted it, along with his religion, to China.

Few kalaripayit practitioners teach anywhere in the world* even in India. Much of the art is said to have degenerated into a martial dance.
    So uh... not so much going to find that art.

I'm not trying to be offensive, I'm just asking how people come to decide they want to train in uber_rare_art_01
    Ignorance of what they want and what they expect the art to do. If it's very little known you can fill in the missing stuff with your own fantasies. Expect a "deadly secrets of the Kallaripayyat" or "street lethal kallaripayyat" any day now.

I can understand kinda. When I was still a wee lad I thought boxing and wrestling were **** - I mean how good could they be since you could find them at my jr high? certainly they weren't like the spinning high-kicking death dances that "real" martial arts use in the movies.

I was a dumb kid.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by porky
    hie, i m very new to martial arts, and by gods grace ive managed to find a forum like this, places like this keep the art pure,

in any case, i m no pro martial artist, infact i drink alot and am pot belleyed, but i m training in the gym now,

anyways, i m very interested in Kallaripayyat and Capoiera, but unlike Kallaripayyat, Capoiera is very well known,

i was wondering if anyone here, at all, has any resources for Kalllaripayyat, training videos, or manuals or something!

thanks

p.s could you also please post other resources forums or good Training video stores for me....... thank you.
    There is not Kallaripayyat in the US. I have seen it in India and FitTv had a little segment on it. It a neat art but nothing uber spectacular that isn't done now. If you want to learn old Indian weaponry and wrestling then hop a flight to India but realize it will be more for cultural preservation (weapons part) more than anything else.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I'm curious, how do people find out about these really rare arts and what draws them to them over arts that you can find in your home town? Is it because it is so original that you want to try it, or that it is so rare you think it will be cool to tell people you train in it?

Xenophilia - basically means an attraction to or curiosity about foreign or unusual things (people, cultures, martial arts, whatever). Not so much "if it's strange it must be better", but rather "it's strange, therefore it's interesting".

Re. Kalaripayatt in the USA, I know that a college professor named Phillip Zarrilli did some intensive training in Kerala, India and was teaching some of the basics to his own students in the US during the early-mid '80s. He now works and lives in the UK, though.

Zarrilli also wrote some very in-depth academic articles on the art which are available here - http://www.spa.ex.ac.uk/drama/staff/kalari/papers.html

This organisation apparently has a school in California - can't vouch for it, but check out http://www.isma-kalari.com/Index.html

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

On a related note, I oringinally wanted to start Jiu-jitsu because no one in my town knew anything about it, which to me was worth a lot because everyone and their dog took either TKD, TSD, or Judo in my home town. And most of those guys were pricks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 5:12pm

Style: Southern Mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As linked above, Paul Whitrod teaches this art in London. I think one of the attractions of it is its extreme age - its roots are tied into the roots of Yoga and predates anything Greek or Chinese by thousands of years.

Any Western or Westernised MA (except weapon art) is mere thuggery compared to that kind of pedigree. What intelligent person with a thirst for knowledge wouldn't be drawn to it, given a nudge in the right direction?

Rgds,
    David

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2006 6:27pm

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What intelligent person with a thirst for knowledge wouldn't be drawn to it, given a nudge in the right direction?
    Any one with more than half of a brain. :binkybaby

I call BS on this:
    I think one of the attractions of it is its extreme age - its roots are tied into the roots of Yoga and predates anything Greek or Chinese by thousands of years.
    Prove it pre dates the ancient Greeks. Why is older better than new things?

Again:
    Any Western or Westernised MA (except weapon art) is mere thuggery compared to that kind of pedigree.
    How are arts 'thuggery'?
    If it works, ie using any thing from a 9mm to an arm bar, why does it matter?
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast