Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzo
    The problem is not mine. I got the quote from the home page of an Aikikai.

That is the quotation that they wish viewers to see first. That is the basis of their training. They go on to make other general statements like:
    Sure it is, 'cause you're trying to judge the quality of training of a school based on some quotes on their home page.

That they are affiliated with Shibata of the USAF tells me more about the basis of their training. I've seen Shibata and how he teaches. Of the various USAF shihan, he's one of the harder stylists.

I don't know about you, but if I am attacked I am going to try initiate attacks, win the fight and defeat the opponenets.
    If you are attacked, you don't initiate attacks - you initiate counter-attacks or defenses; this is not contradictory to Ueshiba's teachings. It's, occasionally, part of my MMA standup game (well, practice, anyway, I don't see myself getting any matches in the near future).

This Aikikai is not alone in their devotion to the "old crazy Ueshba" as opposed to the young, ass-whooping one.
    I'm not sure if you understand the Aikikai - it's really a rather large umbrella organization, with a large degree of variability. This, I've seen.

In this specific case, you're making an assumption about a club, based on a web page, one that may not be supported in real life (of course, that's base on my assumption, informed by time with the USAF).

Again, all of the Aikido that I have seen procedes along these lines.
    That may be your experience. Have you spent time in USAF clubs? Yamada has a more open style, compared to Tohei, the one who oversaw my region (Tohei started with Ueshiba in 1946, Yamada in the mid 50's)

For myself, I have no regrets for the time I spent training with an Aikikai/USAF/MAF affiliate dojo - mainly because I've surprised myself, pulling something "aikido"-like off during judo randori, even shiai.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: MMA, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotajudo

That may be your experience. Have you spent time in USAF clubs? Yamada has a more open style, compared to Tohei, the one who oversaw my region (Tohei started with Ueshiba in 1946, Yamada in the mid 50's)
    New York Aikikai is a USAF club, so yes.

I don't claim that my experience represents all of Aikido, but every school that I
    have ever visited, ever student I have met personally, and every demo that I have seen have embodied the spirit of the lame-ass Ueshiba quotation I've sited.

My admittedly limited experience may not amount to a hill of snot to someone who trains Aikido in an effective way, but it means something to me.

I've heard about Aikido that isn't lame, but I've never seen it. That's why I modified my statement several posts back.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Posted On:
    2/02/2006 11:11am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    Allow me to translate.

When he says:He really means:
    I hope that helps clear things up.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829