Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 1:59pm

Style: Aikido - Iwama Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Unbelivers!

Talking about people who don't believe that Aikido "Works", I was reminded about a situation that happened in the dojo.
    Josip, a cab driver (and Aikido instructor) was teaching the class. Three Karate Sandan arrived and wanted to participate. They had just joined the dojo.

Josip was teaching Kotegaeshi, and wanted someone to attack him nice and fast (for some reason or other!). So, seeing as how there were some Karate people on the mat, he chose one of the Sandans! This guy was big, I mean really big... I mean you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to... Oh, sorry, wrong book!

Anyway, Josip said that these words suddenly went through his mind "Christ! Why did I pick him?!". This man had tree trunks for wrists! Anyway, the sandan attacked at lightening speed. Josip turned Tenkan, barely touched the Karateka's wrist, and, *whoosh*... no more karateka! Unfortunately, the Karate Sandan hadn't learned much ukemi and so was a little "confused" upon landing. Eric was as pleased as punch (eek! sorry!), and the other Karateka thought it was great!!

They were never seen again.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Injured Reserve

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good story, but I'm curious about one thing.

Did Josip know when the attack was coming and what it would be?

Chris

Old School DM

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it odd that no one ever posts this story, but ends it with, "So after my teacher spat out his remaining teeth, we all had a good laugh and agreed that it was a lot harder to use those wristlocks on people who weren't cooperating".
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:28pm

Style: Uechi-Ryu, Aikido, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This man had tree trunks for wrists!
    It's a good thing that in Aikido you don't actually grab the wrists, but the hands. The hand twists the wrist, so you have to grab the hand.

Not a bad story, but I'd like to see someone post how exactly an Aikido throw is supposed to work instead of just trying to prove that it does with "stories". I would but I'm too damn lazy.

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:30pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you post a video for us to watch or something? If he did it once I'm sure he can do it again.

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:33pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :needpics:

More My sensei beat up a big guy story. Madey he did mabey he did not.

Unbelivers? Beliving in something is based on faith. Why do you want me to belive in your art. prove it and it becomes fact. belife or unbelife in fact will not change the fact that it is a fact.
    Last edited by wagamichi; 1/30/2006 2:36pm at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they thought it was great and were happy, why were they never seen again? I thought they came to train?

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video of you doing the same, please.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 2:57pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One time my aikido instructor was working on a move and I wasn't going with it, so he yelled jujutsu! and grabed the now startled me by the head and wrestled me down. It was good times, good times. Another time I choked out a shodan as he attempted to show me this awesome escape. I guess his ki wasn't all that strong.
    The other day I had a sensi show me an escape from the armbar that was really nice, it turned into a nice roll that ended with me on the wrong side of a choke (but I almost got him a few times with a triangle and a cross choke).

I've seen aikido work, but more then often I see it turn into a wrestling match. I think my instructor would say that if you are taking a single attack and turning it into a strugle/fight then your aikido doesn't work. I'd say its safe to say my aikido doesn't work by his standards. Especially because I only tend to use it after the fight has already started.

I was talking to a few guys today about martial arts. They asked me why I still bother with aikido. I'd say its more for relaxation, timing, and balance. These 3 things are not really practiced in other arts, but rather implied. I get to focus on staying relaxed, keeping my balance (Staying extended, etc) and working on timing. In terms of technique I only use maybe 5-10% of aikido in a sparing match. I usually end up going to striking, and more and more to judo sacrifice throws and then working the submission on the ground.

Is aikido worth it? I think it has benifits, but in the short term they are very small. And if not paired up with an 'alive' art in the long term the benifits will not be realized. You will learn movement, timing, balance, and a small amount of technique. But you still need to fight to learn how to fight. But I dont bank on any one martial art to win fights for me. I bank on me to win fights for me (Not that I get into street fights). As I move to competition I find that Focus on bjj/judo is more important. In the future after I get a few judo/bjj competitions under my belt I will move more twords nhb fighting. I'm sure aikido will get droped. But for now it is a good diversion. And I think there are benifits. I wouldn't learn aikido to learn how to fight. I would learn it to help with your health and happiness. The fighting part of aikido is slowly dying a long drawn out death.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/30/2006 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido Working is like ghost stories. Everybody knows hears about them but noone sees them. :icon_blac
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 29 1 234511 ... LastLast