Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:43pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cung Le should do alright. James Fanshier, his stable mate won the KOTC welterweight title and Cung Le is supposedly better than him, so I figure he'd do ok. Plus Cung Le will be fed bums for the first few fights anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 8:49pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To find Kung Fu in the UFC you have to go back to the begining. Jason DeLucia won a few fights before losing to Royce Gracie and had a decent PANCRASE career. Joel Sutton won his fights at UFC 7 and 8. Onassis Parungao won his fight at UFC. I can't think of anyone else using Kung Fu.

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:02pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Luke Cummo guy on the Ultimate Fighter had Kung Fu experience.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:07pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jason Delucia has an overall record of 33-19-1, last fought in 2003. Though I seem to remember that he was in one of the Gracie in action videos getting beat on by Royce, from before the UFC. With Rorion's voice over saying things like, "My brother could easily finish the kung-fu practicioner from here, but instead chooses to punish him."

After that Delucia studied BJJ and was a student of the Gracies prior to UFC I. There are probably a number of MMA fighters that passed through kung-fu on their way to other martial arts, just as there are a number who have done Dog Brothers prior to MMA, and arent listed in their description on sherdog.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 9:23pm

Style: Mizong Quan, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickJab
    Cung Le should do alright. James Fanshier, his stable mate won the KOTC welterweight title and Cung Le is supposedly better than him, so I figure he'd do ok. Plus Cung Le will be fed bums for the first few fights anyway.
    Touche'. Good point. I have never seen Cung Li do any MMA, but if he is obsessive as he was about San Shou...

BTW if anyone ever watches his fight with Jason Yee back in 97 in Orlando that was televised on ESPN, that was me in his corner with the fruity pink t-shirt (I had to wear it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2006 10:19pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Jason Delucia has an overall record of 33-19-1, last fought in 2003. Though I seem to remember that he was in one of the Gracie in action videos getting beat on by Royce, from before the UFC. With Rorion's voice over saying things like, "My brother could easily finish the kung-fu practicioner from here, but instead chooses to punish him."

After that Delucia studied BJJ and was a student of the Gracies prior to UFC I. There are probably a number of MMA fighters that passed through kung-fu on their way to other martial arts, just as there are a number who have done Dog Brothers prior to MMA, and arent listed in their description on sherdog.
    Jason's fighting this Saturday in Cage Rage. His dojo challenge fight from before UFC is recorded on Gracie Jiu Jitsu in Action 2. Jason was never a student of the Gracies, but he says that after the dojo challenge a friend of Rickson's befriended him and taught him a lot so he'd be able to make a good account of himself.

The interesting thing is that although Jason counts himself as an Aikido stylist these days (Combat Aikido), he says that the underlying principles are the same in both Kung Fu and Aikido and believes they are both effective fighting techniques if trained correctly. He points out specific techniques he used in fights that can be traced to one art or another (e.g. Kung Fu sidekick, Aikido entering throw), but purists in either art look at what he does in the ring and say it doesn't look like Kung Fu or Aikido. Thing is, nothing's going to look ideal when you're improvising against someone who's fighting MMA style.

Jason recently dug up an old Kung Fu book he has and we've got some pix scanned in from it on aikidog.com that show some nice groundwork. So there's more to Kung Fu that the way most people get trained in it. The scanned pix are on this thread: http://venus.secureguards.com/~aikid...ic&p=1418#1418

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 4:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickJab
    To find Kung Fu in the UFC you have to go back to the begining.....

.....or get to know more fighters backgrounds in depth.

Actually, maybe not for the UFC but for MMA in general there's more out there than most people realize just because once people get into the sport for real they often don't advertise a style. They just say they do "MMA".
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 5:07am

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistaKickz
    Is there any K-1 fighters or UFC fighter that practice Kung Fu?
    I practice Gong Fu and I just (today) learned a new phrase:

International Vale Tudo.

:love7: Me likes that rules set. :love7: With the exception of eye gouging, fish hooking, biting or ball-sacking anything goes from what my source told me. AND with MMA gloves the "limitations of hand shape from boxing gloves" complaint can't come up.

Now I just have to find out if International Vale Tudo rules are used in any venue in China. If so I'm gonna be like :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 6:53am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you saying you want to go into a vale tudo comp with just kung-fu?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2006 9:28am

Style: Hei Long Gong Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well let's just say that I find Vale Tudo to be compatable with my outlook on fighting. And when I finally get this bloody throwdown off the ground I'll probably use the rules structure of Vale Tudo as the basis. In addition I have been unimpressed with the level of the San Da games I have managed to get in on due to restriction of elbow and knee strikes (which I am partial to) and the absence of a ground game (which I am also partial to).

My Gong Fu school in Canada was, apparently, not ordinary.

Come to the First PRC throwdown in September!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast