Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2006 8:57pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai Seminar in San Antonio, TX

For all Texas area Bullshidists,

my school is having a seminar next Sunday (Feb 5) featuring Muay Thai Legend Kru Surapuk Jamjuntr (aka Kru Puk) from 12 - 4 pm. Cost $40.00 per person. On Saturday, we are putting on some fights at the Asian Festival down by the Institute for Texan Cultures (by the Tower of Americas).
    View Details Here:
    http://www.sinlapamuay.com/puk.htm
    http://www.realityself-defense.com/KruPuk.html

We are also hoping to get Malaipet Sitpraprom/Sasiprapa (former Rajadamnern champ) later this year.

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 9:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry for the necro, but I've been looking for a MT school in San Antonio, and the Sinlap school has come up in a few listings. However, the site seems to be down.

Is the school still up and running?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 7:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Recovering

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorta, it is now called Shadowfist & Muay Thai Academy. There has been quite a bit of recent controversy with the owner and head instructor though who just recently was arrested for sexual assault and indecency with a child (student).
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Mar...g_student.html

As far as I know they do not have a website, but here is the number to the school. (210)860-9676 - I have not personally been to the school so I don't have a clue how it has affected the school or training, if it all.

EDIT: This is the email for the school but it is possible that it is no longer active or checked: sinlapa-muay@earthlink.net - Hope this helps

This isn't the only choice in San Antonio though, but I would be curious to know what you find out/decide on when/if you do.
    Last edited by HFox; 6/16/2010 7:11pm at .

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 7:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. For now, I think I'll go with the Sniper Gym (boxing) as my primary gym (it's a budget thing,) but if I find a MT school in the area that's relatively close to where I plan to be, I'll post the info.

I should note that I was interested in Sinlapa because it appeared to have a Thai instructor. If I find something similar, again, I'll post. (There does appear to be a small Thai community in the region.)
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 7:39pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh, San Antonio had so many training opportunities when I was stationed there, and I never took advantage...Maybe I'll move to Maine and train with Jay Jack and Amanda Buckner

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 7:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    Sigh, San Antonio had so many training opportunities when I was stationed there, and I never took advantage...Maybe I'll move to Maine and train with Jay Jack and Amanda Buckner

Were you anywhere near Ft Sam Houston?
    I'll be working there, but will probably be living closer to Lackland. If you have any pointers gym-wise, I'd appreciate it. (Also, where's the local getting-shot-central? Need to avoid that.)
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 8:13pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Breakdown of San Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Were you anywhere near Ft Sam Houston?
    I'll be working there, but will probably be living closer to Lackland. If you have any pointers gym-wise, I'd appreciate it. (Also, where's the local getting-shot-central? Need to avoid that.)
    I was at Ft. Sam for a year and a half for training. Honestly, its a pretty lively city, lots of stuff no matter what your interested in, history(although the Alamo is kinda sad), the art museums have good collections, and the Riverwalk has pretty much all the drinking anyone could ever want(note, the weekend passes for all of the initial entry military types make for some drunken, testosterone fueled fights) and the Schlitterbahn is one of the worlds largest waterparks. Plus Austin is not too far away for good music and great food.

As far as martial arts schools I can only speak of the ones who did seminars on base
    http://www.carlsongracietexas.com/Ca...cie_Texas.html

http://marrajj.homestead.com/

I never met anyone from here...

http://rodrigopinheirobjj.com/instructors.htm

But UFC vet Pete Spratt is the kickboxing instructor so it seems like it would be an excellent choice

I am sure there are others...I would be aware that just like any city that has military installations, they seem to breed "combatives" schools. While I'm sure that some of them are legit, keep in mind that the army training school in SA is medical...and soldiermedics tend to be well...more medic than soldier.

But yeah, its a great place to train cardio(80 degrees plus 90% humidity before the sun comes up) just dont over indulge on the tex mex, dont jump into the river(its a HUGE fine) and wear sunscreen and you'll have a good experience